This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastritis Far Worse Since Going Gluten Free

laura1959

laura1959 Apprentice

Does anyone have an explanation for this?  I have a diagnosis of gastritis made through endoscopy, but I've never really had much stomach pain-- only occasional, intermittent problems.  I also have GERD which is severe enough to cause cellular changes in my esophagus, and I never had a lot of pain with that, either.    The gastroenterologist gave me a prescription for Prilosec, which I take in the mornings.  

Since going gluten-free approximately three weeks ago, my gastritis has become extremely noticeable and painful.  I have only been on the prilosec for less than a month, as well, and missed one dose about a week ago.  Since then I've been in a lot of discomfort and have been living on Pepto Bismol, which is about the only thing that will calm the pain.  

I know there can be a rebound effect with the PPI's, but I haven't been on them for very long, and I only missed one dose.  The only other explanation I can think of is that there's something going on due to the gluten-free diet and this is somehow part of healing?  Seems strange that my stomach would become so sensitive as a part of healing, but there's a lot that doesn't make sense about these problems I've had.  Anyone have any thoughts about this. or similar experiences?  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

0range Apprentice

When you say cellular changes to your esophagus, does that mean a dx of Barrett's esophagus? Do you have celiac disease along with gastritis? 

laura1959 Apprentice

Yes, Barrett's esophagus.  I do not know if I have celiac; they did the endoscopy before there was suspicion of celiac and did not go far enough in to get biopsies from the right area.  Antibody tests were "normal" I was told but I am waiting for them to send me the actual results so I can investigate that further.  My doctor asked me to go gluten free as a test to see if it helps.  I have a lot of other problems that point to celiac (osteoporosis at 54, etc.)  

0range Apprentice

I hope you get some answers soon! There seems to be a heightened connection between metaplasia of the esophagus aka Barrett's and celiac: Open Original Shared Link

My father was dx with intestinal metaplasia of the stomach last year. He has had chronic (what I suspect is) gastritis, for years - and which is probably what lead to the metaplasia. Since it is a big risk for stomach cancer, doctor's are keeping an eye on it. I've heard metaplasia is reversible (if you can remove what ever is irritating the lining of the stomach) - is that the case for Barrett's as well? He hasn't had a test for celiac, surprisingly, despite his gut issues. Hopefully will get some answers on our end this month. Do you have any other autoimmune problems? I would discuss this with your doctor though; was he/she ok with you starting a gluten-free diet? increasing pain doesn't sound right, unless there is another underlying issue. 

I've also heard that switching to gluten-free diet can result in a 'detox' period where you feel a bit worse before you feel better. Also, it can "reveal" food intolerances your body didn't realize it had before. Someone else who is more knowledgable about this will hopefully chime in! 

P.S. here's an old thread about BE - not sure if it helps with your particular issue, but found it to contain some useful information: https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/87484-barretts-esophagus-gluten-related/

Juliebove Rising Star

I have GERD and Barrett's Esophagus.  I was shocked to get this diagnosis because I thought I had no symptoms.  Turns out that I did but I didn't realize it.  Namely throat clearing and a husky sounding voice.

Any and all of the GERD meds gave me extreme GERD symptoms, upset stomach, migraines and bizarre dreams.  I had to stop taking them.  After trying literally everything, the Dr. finally decided to try Carafate.  It's a PITA because you have to take it an hour before you eat and you literally can't eat a bite of anything during that time lest you get a bezoar (food ball).  Can't take any other meds with it either.  I also take D Limonene (OTC supplement) with meals.  I still have the Barrett's but it is down to 5% so getting much better.

I have never had gastritis but my daughter did.  I had been giving her hot soup and it turns out that any food or drink that is hot or cold will make it worse.  Best to eat foods that are either room temp., cool or just warm.

That's probably not a lot of help, but if I were you, I would suspect the Prilosec as being the cause.

laura1959 Apprentice

Thanks.  This was a big shock to me, too.  I had so many problems with my digestive system that I never realized were there.  I knew I had occasional problems with my stomach, but nothing like this.  

They looked at just about everything except the small intestine when they did the endoscopy and the colonoscopy last month. I so wish we had thought to suspect celiac disease before I had the endoscopy done, but it is what it is.  There's no way I'll have another one for at least another year, so I am left to diagnose the old-fashioned way, through observing what happens with the diet change.  By the time they go in there again to check the BE, I'll be gluten free for too long to see anything, I suspect.  

So far in other ways the diet change has been good; I have more energy, better mental focus, and I believe I have less overall bowel distress (less bloating, distention and constipation) but it's too early to know for sure that this is a lasting change.  I sure wish I could get this gastritis resolved and I guess I am going to have to go a little bit bland with my diet in order to help that happen.  I had wanted to avoid that but it's probably necessary.  

• 1 month later...
surviormom Rookie

I too had no idea my insides were in such a shape and yes, I have far more intolerances than I dreamed I could possibly have.  It gets worse before it gets better.  I hope you are starting to feel better. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laura1959 Apprentice

Thanks; since I wrote this I went back to gluten for a bit, and now am back to gluten free.  I'm doing okay.  The gastritis has resolved, though I had another bout of something which I really think from the symptoms was a very mild case of pancreatitis(!) but that has resolved, as well.  Taking things a day at a time.  

Archived