This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Organic Wheat = Gluten-Free?

SteffiW

SteffiW Rookie

Now I'm totaly confused. I went today in my supermarket and wanted to buy me a quick  meal for lunch. In the gluten-free Schelf was also Organic Burillios and a something it looks like a filled cake. Also Organic. Both have organic wheat in it.

Are these product no Gluten free?

IF now Why are the standing in the Gluten free shelf???

SteffiW

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Organic wheat contains gluten in the same quantity as regular wheat. The gluten occurs naturally in the proteins of the plant. Organic does not mean gluten-free.

There are many foods out there that are both organic and gluten-free, but the two concepts are unrelated.

luvs2eat Collaborator

That was the cause for my last horrible glutening. I was in what I thought was a gluten-free only freezer section and grabbed a bag of Rudi's hot dog rolls without even a glance at the package. I didn't know Rudi's made non gluten-free items. Trust me... I won't make THAT mistake again.

Greebo115 Rookie

Now I'm totaly confused. I went today in my supermarket and wanted to buy me a quick  meal for lunch. In the gluten-free Schelf was also Organic Burillios and a something it looks like a filled cake. Also Organic. Both have organic wheat in it.

Are these product no Gluten free?

IF now Why are the standing in the Gluten free shelf???

SteffiW

SteffiW, I don't know where you live, but in the UK, the shelves in the supermarket that people think of as the "gluten free" section, are actually the "free from" section, meaning that they are for people on "special" diets, but not necessarily gluten free.

Also, the people who stack shelves are not paid for their great knowledge of nutrition, and so, things can be put in the section that don't belong there....maybe that is why they are there?

Unless the wheat in a product says "codex" wheat, then the wheat cannot be seen as gluten free (codex wheat has the gluten removed - supposedly.....but I still can't tolerate it, but that's another story), but that will be the only time you will see wheat of any kind in a product that is considered gluten free to 20ppm.

The lesson here is: always read the label and don't trust someone else with your health, the products you describe do not sound gluten free.

kareng Grand Master

I have seen that in the US, too.  They mix all the "healthy" stuff together in one section.  Sometimes a brand makes gluten-free and non-gluten-free stuff.  The person putting them out at the store just lumps them together.

Good catch!

mommy2krj Explorer

I have seen that in the US, too.  They mix all the "healthy" stuff together in one section.  Sometimes a brand makes gluten-free and non-gluten-free stuff.  The person putting them out at the store just lumps them together.

Good catch!

That's what I was just going to say. They mix all the "healthy" stuff together. While it can be aggravating....at least I don't have to go far for the organic stuff I'm also looking for. :)

nvsmom Community Regular

That's what I was just going to say. They mix all the "healthy" stuff together. While it can be aggravating....at least I don't have to go far for the organic stuff I'm also looking for. :)

My grocery store puts the Health food/Natural foods right by the dog food.... I always wonder what they are implying....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Organic means certified that no Herbicides or bug spray are used in the production of the product.

cap6 Enthusiast

I have seen Bob's red Mill "WHEAT" Gluten Flour mix in the gluten free section at Walmart.  Probably someone put it there cause it has the word "gluten" on it.  I pointed it out to the manager but last time I looked i was still there.  You have to read and reread everything.  never trust store placement!!

Chad Sines Rising Star

Well, one of the stores I go to has a dedicated gluten free area and they on that shelf lots of gluten free options...and also vital wheat gluten. It even had a nice label on the shelf which meant it was not put there as a joke or a customer discard. I went from "this store is caring for separating some items out" to "what a bunch of idiots"

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Ahh yeah, you should talk to the store manager about that. Always pay attention to the labels even if its in the gluten free section. My mom once bought organic bread thinking it was the gluten-free bread she usually gets because the packages look the same... and, well, bad things happened.

There really should be 3 section: Gluten Free, Organic, and Gluten Free AND Organic. Just because its gluten-free doesn't mean its healthy. Ergh.

Chad Sines Rising Star

one of the publix stores here has a special shelf tag for all the gluten free items. They are in their regular slots which makes shopping much easier. 

SteffiW Rookie

Thanks so much for your help. I will never do this mistake again and read every lable...

SteffiW

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Larger grocery stores don't always have a choice about product placement.  If a company, like Bob's Red Mill, makes both gluten and gluten free items the company will want (and at times pay) for the position they want on the shelves. The company will want all their items located in the same area for greater brand recognition. It is a pain for us to deal with but we have to make sure we read those labels. Having been 'got' myself a couple times I make sure I read the label in the store and read it again before I consume the product.

• 2 weeks later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Larger grocery stores don't always have a choice about product placement.  If a company, like Bob's Red Mill, makes both gluten and gluten free items the company will want (and at times pay) for the position they want on the shelves. The company will want all their items located in the same area for greater brand recognition. It is a pain for us to deal with but we have to make sure we read those labels. Having been 'got' myself a couple times I make sure I read the label in the store and read it again before I consume the product.

That's interesting!   Explains why Walmart never moved that wheat stuff. 

Celtic Queen Explorer

My Kroger is kind of crazy - they'll have some brands of gluten-free flour sitting right next to the regular flour in the baking section and other brands are in the organic section.  They have an aisle that says gluten free, and most of the products are but I've caught one on there that was made in a facility that also processes wheat.  I don't consider that gluten free, myself, and almost went to the manager to discuss it, but I was running short on time that day.

Archived