This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Me Figure This Out!generic Pedialyte

fatjacksonthecat

fatjacksonthecat Rookie

I have been feeling a bit dehydrated (although I drink quite a bit of water)so I decided to get a bottle of  kroger brand generic pedialyte.I paused considering the named brand because I knew it was gluten free but looked at the ingredients and they all looked almost exactly the same, key word was almost I guess. Well minutes after drinking it I got the old familar ache beginning in my stomache and shrugged it off hoping against hope it wasnt what I thought it was. Over the next hour it grew into one of the most violent reactions Ive ever had.I ended up throwing up it was so bad and am sicker than I have been in a while today with all the familiar glutening symptoms.

I called the company just to reafirm and while she said it doesnt explicitely state gluten free it had absoluetly no allergens listed and she said it must be gluten free.Well then what did I react to? I know dextrose can come from corn or wheat but have read that it is refined so much that there is none left. The only other thing I ate with it was hersheys dark chocolate and Ive never had that happen with dark chocolate before. I am 99.9 certain it was something in the generic pedialyte. I have been having  a hard time lately even with being 100 percent gluten free so it may have something else in it I suppose that Im reacting to. I need to find out what it was because it might give me a clue as to whats been going on with me as far as new sensitivities. However, I find it SO hard to believe that it wasnt some sort of wheat glutening cause as far as reactions go it was by far one of the very worst I have ever had.

Here is a list of ingredients in the generic Kroger brand. Can someone please help me figure out what I could possibly have reacted to, this is hell not knowing and then being told it had no allergens listed was shocking!Thanks all, any clues will be appreciated as I think I also do have leaky gut....

Water, Dextrose,Citric Acid,Pottassium Citrate,Sodium Chloride,Sodium Citrate, Acesulfame Potassium, Artificial Grape Flavor,Zinc Gluconate,Sucralose,FD&C Red #40,FD&C Blue #1

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

RED!  <that's my guess.  omgosh - look at all those scary words - i'm not drinking that.  jackson, think simple.  apple.  juice.  

but there's no gluten in those ingredients.    

i would not jump to conclusions about leaky gut, especially since you are still cleaning up your gluten free 'act' lolz give yourself a minute to heal!  

Adalaide Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

You may find this surprisingly lacking when you check what is and is not on their gluten free list. The only dark chocolate listed is the baking chips, cocoa and syrup. So if you had a chocolate bar, that could very well be your problem.

notme Experienced

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!  not the CHOCOLATE!!!!!!   :o

oh, whew, the regular ones i eat (3 squares of ONLY at once because of the soy that hates me  <_<  )  are on the 'good' list :)

fatjacksonthecat Rookie

I know, your sooo right. I usually dont slip up and drink something with that many chemicals but all in all I think it has given me a clue as to what may have been ailing me lately. I think its the red also.A couple of weeks ago when I thought I got glutoned I took some childrens liquid benedryl in hopes of slowing the reaction and well I noticed it seemed like it made me much worse, almost like Id been poisoned or something. Ive also from time to time been using a dash of those liquid mios that although are gluten free also has red dye in it. On top of that Ive been chewing gluten free trident gum that also has yet again RED DYE. The thing is that  all these also have fake sweeteners so I could also be reacting to that as well but my bet is also on the red dye. Looks like I need to really stick to ALL natural. I just find is so hard to believe that I reacted to that just like gluten but looks like I am.

Oh yea, I did call hersheys and asked about the dark chocolate bar so although it wasnt listed on the gluten free list thankfully it was gluten free.. wheeew Im sure we all didnt want to lose that one!(-; Yea I need to wait till my body heals first before jumping conclusions as Im  just starting to realize how much more cautious I must be. Thanks everyone, by any chance do any of you react to fake sweeteners badly as well?

notme Experienced

yes, i do - i stay away from artificial sweeteners because they make my brain crazy ;)  they make me very anxious!   i haven't noticed any gut symptoms from them, but then again, i don't eat/drink them (on purpose) - i think the last time i had any, and i recognized the taste of it, was in the juice my church serves for communion.  the lady who supplies the juice/sets things up bought 'lite' juice.  it was only a tiny glass of it, hardly a sip.  i didn't notice it this month, so she may have switched back to 'regular' grape grape juice.  (did i look that panicked when she told me it was lite juice?  maybe that's why she switched back, lolz)  

notme Experienced

hey, jackson, i was thinking - i have a secondary sensitivity to soy that didn't really 'appear' until i was gluten free.  it fooled me in the beginning because it was almost like getting glutened as i will get a headache, D, joint ache, fatigue, etc.  but it's not nearly as intense as a true glutening and it only lasts about 24 hrs as opposed to 14 days of 'regular' glutening.  your candybar had soy in it, right?  soy lecithin?  or something like that  - anyways, i should have thought of this yesterday, duh, but that's why i only eat 3 squares of hershey chocolate bar (milk chocolate but i don't think it would be much different with dark) at a time - otherwise it's too much soy and i get to feeling yucky.   

you are still keeping a food journal, yes?  pay attention when you eat soy (and everything, really, there are many who have sensitivity to corn, eggs, etc)  and try to match with how you feel.  i can still eat soy but i have to limit it just a little per day - if i overdo it, i feel like krap.   lolz i experimented until i could eat chocolate without feeling like i was shooting myself in the foot.  if i want to eat a ton of it i go get a rice dream bar - yummy and soy free - nom nom nom!  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fatjacksonthecat Rookie

It sounds like you are just as sensitive as I am.Diet sodas crank me up at first and then make me feel really irritable.I really should know better and although it is rare that I do I should never put those things into my body because I have been sensitive all my life. I guess I will do good for a while and then give in and think oh it wont hurt this one time to have a diet soda and it is effecting my health more than I am realizing.I also avoid soy but my chiro told me for some reason soy lecithin wasnt as bad, but I believe he wasnt talking about in the case of celiac/gluten sensitivity. I think he just meant it wasnt as bad for blocking the thyroid or something but now that you mention it one can never be too safe even if it does it a little bit. I will start paying close attention to soy lecithin as well because my chocolate bar did have soy lecithin in it.

I have also always struggled with anxiety anyways and like I said I do believe that the fake sweeteners might be doing the same with me. Basically I think I have formed an aversion to ALL things fake hhe and like you said sometimes when I think Ive got glutoned it turns out that it doesnt last nearly as long as it usually does. I think these are the times when its from the artificial chemicals instead of a real glutoning. Hearing so many others say they experience the same thing gives me more willpower to stick to it and that its not in my head. I am going to be much careful from here on out as Im ready to feel better once and for all.

I agree that esp for us its better to have the real sugar than the fake. Thats something Im just now wrapping my head around...although sugar might not be not great in excess its waaay better than the chemical sugar.Again,thanks so much for all the help!

Archived