9 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

OMG I really need strength today. Someone brought in donuts - they're less than 20 feet from me. I want one - but I know I can't have one. This is the first time since my diagnosis that something has been quite literally staring me in the face and beckoning. Sigh.

How do you guys cope?

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hbunting86

hbunting86

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Aww I feel for you!  

I just cope by knowing how awful I'll feel if I eat one.  Sad, but true.  How long have you been diagnosed?  It just gets easier with time I guess - I think eventually you learn to associate certain foods with bad experiences and believe me, they're not half so appealing then!

H :)

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Try thinking of it as really tastey rat poison... or antifreeze. It might taste good but it's still poison.

Be strong!  :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Thank you both. I'm sure it will get easier with time.

I was diagnosed at the end of March, so these things still tempt me a bit. I won't crack and eat one b/c I don't want to be sick, but it sure is tempting...

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#5 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

I agree with Hbunting86. My mouth may water when I look at something "tasty" like that, but on a deeper level, I don't desire those foods because I know they will make me feel horrible. I value feeling like I am thriving in my life, rather than the brief pleasure of something sweet. Before I figured out that gluten was making me sick, I was still constantly testing foods. I would ask "Will this make me feel lighter and better in my life, or will this make me feel dull and heavy and unpleasant?" Mindfully asking myself that question really helped a lot when temptation would sneak up on me. 

You could try keeping a stash of emergency sweets, like chocolate and some gluten-free cookies on hand. Then, when someone brings cake or donuts or (insert gluteny food here) you will always have your own sweet food salvation!  :D

#6 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Emergency Stash.  There are Gluten Free Donuts you can get, I keep some in the freezer.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Udi's Double Chocolate Muffins. They are better than doughnuts.

But I Do know what you mean. Last night I went to a restaurant to hear some of my friends play music. Everyone was eating and they all had french fries. Oh how I wanted some! I even asked the waitress of by chance they had a dedicated fryer for them, but of course they didn't. I wasn't even tempted to have one, but I HAVE decided it's time I make some at home.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Blech! All of those fats, all of that sugar. The yicky feeling in your mouth after you eat it, the sugar crash later on. You can definitely rationalize donuts as being disgusting, barely even food, so that they are less of a temptation in the future.

And for the record, I did just eat about six sugar cookies as an appetizer to my dinner, so I have that awful taste in my mouth right now.

#9 freeme808

freeme808

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Ugh, I know the feeling. I've been gluten-free for two weeks now since my endo/colonoscopy....Was SO strong about not eating gluten, until: yesterday! My hubby got some take out....he was like, are you sure you don't want anything? I was like, babe....I CAN'T eat that stuff. You know that, don't ask me. HAH, we got home(I even bought some gluten-free frozen dinners from the store so I could feel like I had my own "take out"), and I was like I want a bite!!!! I don't know how the heck I rationalized that one in my head! 5 to 10 bites, and about 30- 60 mins later: BAD rash! It lasted all night long and still on and off today. :( 

It's slip ups like these that make me stronger for the next temptation-knowing the horrible consequences. But, as another poster mentioned, I know with time it does get easier. 

Need to be sugar, gluten, dairy, & yeast free!

Taking baby steps. Having a harder time transitioning than I thought.  :mellow:

#10 MinnesotaCeliac

MinnesotaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

This is a great community and they will support you when you feel weak or down, provide you with great information and it is also comforting know you are not alone in your gluten-free journey.

It is very natural for one to want something they no longer can have (especially a a tasy donut). Every Monday my team has donuts. I enjoy a coffee or water and a gluten-free protien bar or yogurt.  I find it easy for me as I have bought into staying healthy after years of being sick. It is more of attitude or belief change. It's not what I can't have, but focusing on what I can have. Although you can eat a gluten-free donut, you may just find that making healther choices of snacks aides in your recovery (think banana, apples, yogurt...etc).  Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: