8 replies to this topic

#1 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

I was just curious if someone could give me an idea of what is going on.

I've been getting a stiff, maybe swollen, throat on the left side of my body. It goes from the jawline straight down and is right smack dab in the middle. It doesn't hurt really bad or impact anything... it's just strange. Anyone else experience this feeling? I told my doctor and he wasn't sure. He said to monitor it and if it gets worse then to come in. I thought it might have been related to the iron supplements I was taking but I have since stopped taking them in favor of food loaded with iron. 

Thoughts? Or any way to make this feel better?

Thanks!

Jesse

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

The thyroid is in the front, near the base of the neck, and wraps around to the side. Thyroid swelling or growth (goitre) could be the cause. Do you have hypo or hyperthyroid symptoms?

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

The thyroid is in the front, near the base of the neck, and wraps around to the side. Thyroid swelling or growth (goitre) could be the cause. Do you have hypo or hyperthyroid symptoms?

Sort of. I have a lot of anxiety and moodiness. But I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal. Really everything is normal except my Celiac antibodies, a tad lower than normal iron and low vitamin D. That and I'm cold all the time.

#4 0range

0range

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Sort of. I have a lot of anxiety and moodiness. But I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal. Really everything is normal except my Celiac antibodies, a tad lower than normal iron and low vitamin D. That and I'm cold all the time.

Get your thyroid antibodies checked, if possible! The acceptable range is quite vast, and many thyroid patients have symptoms even despite being in the normal range. Stiff/swollen neck or trouble swallowing is a common complaint among thyroid patients - as it can be a goitre, a common symptom of thyroid disease: http://www.patient.c...d-Swelling).htm

Canadian undergraduate student in 3rd year, studying Psychology and Speech Communication. Hoping to go into rehabilitation sciences!  B)

Dx with: 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis - 22/09/12

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) - 18/05/13

irritable bowel syndrome - 21/06/13 

HLA-DQ8 gene ~ heterozygous (moderate risk for celiac) - 29/11/13

-> underwent a colonoscopy on 24/08/13, showed mild focal colitis + lymphoid hyperplasia (aka inflammation) in terminal ileum

#5 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

Get your thyroid antibodies checked, if possible! The acceptable range is quite vast, and many thyroid patients have symptoms even despite being in the normal range. Stiff/swollen neck or trouble swallowing is a common complaint among thyroid patients. 

Any idea which tests that would be? I've had my thyroid checked but I don't know the ins and outs of all the tests. 

#6 0range

0range

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Any idea which tests that would be? I've had my thyroid checked but I don't know the ins and outs of all the tests. 

Credit: http://labtestsonlin...bodies/tab/test

Hope this helps!

Canadian undergraduate student in 3rd year, studying Psychology and Speech Communication. Hoping to go into rehabilitation sciences!  B)

Dx with: 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis - 22/09/12

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) - 18/05/13

irritable bowel syndrome - 21/06/13 

HLA-DQ8 gene ~ heterozygous (moderate risk for celiac) - 29/11/13

-> underwent a colonoscopy on 24/08/13, showed mild focal colitis + lymphoid hyperplasia (aka inflammation) in terminal ileum

#7 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

Credit: http://labtestsonlin...bodies/tab/test

Hope this helps!

I've had these tests and they all come back normal. Rats. No luck so far. This stuff is such a mystery. 

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

I've had these tests and they all come back normal. Rats. No luck so far. This stuff is such a mystery. 

Hi HD,

You could ask your doctor to do a thyroid ultra sound.  That might give an idea of what's going on.  My doctor said an ultra sound is a better choice than an MRI, and cheaper / faster too.  Thyroid nodules are very common in people, and usually they are not a problem.  But it is good to get them checked.  If there is a nodule generally the doctor (usually an endocrinologist) will do a (FNA) fine needle aspiration.  They take a biopsy by sticking a very fine needle into the nodule.  Hashimoto's thyroiditis may wax and wane per what people say on this forum.  Symptoms can come and go, including swelling and irritation in the throat.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Thanks, I will write that down and ask my doctor about it at a future appointment. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: