This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hayfever?

KnightRobby

KnightRobby Enthusiast

I had allergy testing done which you can see my results here. I actually need help looking at them by the way, if anyone knows how to read these results. My Allergist told me to take some Zrytec and if I didn't see any improvement, go back and see him. Well, the last thing I thought of was allergies.

I moved from Indiana to AZ about 2 or so years ago, and I don't know how allergic I am to my new environment. He told me I was allergic to "basically everything" in a joking manner (he's that type of doctor...). I'm wondering if I have severe Hayfever as well...Severe Hayfever can induce colitis, as I have recently read. That is rare, however.

Anyone else have major allergy issues related to Open Original Shared Link/Open Original Shared Link/UC? I have UC and Celiac, but I am thinking allergies are playing a bigger role than I previously thought.

What do you all think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

greenbeanie Enthusiast

It looks like your allergist did very thorough testing, which is great. Some pollens you're allergic to, including ragweed, are known to cross-react with certain foods. The link below lists the most common ones.

Open Original Shared Link

No everyone with those pollen allergies will have problems with the cross-reacting foods (and there's no need to avoid them unless you notice a problem), but it may help to temporarily eat less of them to see if it helps. I live in New England and I'm also highly allergic to a dozen different pollens with minor allergies to more, plus latex, dust mites, and some animals. I have a problem with almost all of the foods that cross-react with those things. I don't know much about the connection between allergies and digestive diseases, but for me going gluten-free improved just about every chronic health problem I had except for the allergies, which it didn't really impact (so far). Allegra works much, much better for me than Zyrtec, so you might want to experiment with different antihistimines if Zyrtec isn't helping. Many of the name brands and generics are gluten-free. I take antihistimines every morning, rather than waiting for symptoms to develop; they seem less effective at reversing an allergic reaction than at preventing one.

If antihistimines don't help, the next step is probably allergy shots. They work better for some people than for others. My own experience with them hasn't been great. Good luck!

w8in4dave Community Regular

It looks like your allergist did very thorough testing, which is great. Some pollens you're allergic to, including ragweed, are known to cross-react with certain foods. The link below lists the most common ones.

Open Original Shared Link

No everyone with those pollen allergies will have problems with the cross-reacting foods (and there's no need to avoid them unless you notice a problem), but it may help to temporarily eat less of them to see if it helps. I live in New England and I'm also highly allergic to a dozen different pollens with minor allergies to more, plus latex, dust mites, and some animals. I have a problem with almost all of the foods that cross-react with those things. I don't know much about the connection between allergies and digestive diseases, but for me going gluten-free improved just about every chronic health problem I had except for the allergies, which it didn't really impact (so far). Allegra works much, much better for me than Zyrtec, so you might want to experiment with different antihistimines if Zyrtec isn't helping. Many of the name brands and generics are gluten-free. I take antihistimines every morning, rather than waiting for symptoms to develop; they seem less effective at reversing an allergic reaction than at preventing one.

If antihistimines don't help, the next step is probably allergy shots. They work better for some people than for others. My own experience with them hasn't been great. Good luck!

Love that site!! TY :) It may explain alot!! Sent the link to my daughter.

nutritionguy Rookie

I had allergy testing done which you can see my results here. I actually need help looking at them by the way, if anyone knows how to read these results. My Allergist told me to take some Zrytec and if I didn't see any improvement, go back and see him. Well, the last thing I thought of was allergies.

I moved from Indiana to AZ about 2 or so years ago, and I don't know how allergic I am to my new environment. He told me I was allergic to "basically everything" in a joking manner (he's that type of doctor...). I'm wondering if I have severe Hayfever as well...Severe Hayfever can induce colitis, as I have recently read. That is rare, however.

Anyone else have major allergy issues related to Open Original Shared Link/Open Original Shared Link/UC? I have UC and Celiac, but I am thinking allergies are playing a bigger role than I previously thought.

What do you all think?

I have type 1 diabetes, have a genetic predisposition for celiac disease (I have a first cousin with type 1 diabetes and celiac disease, and I am DQ2 positive).  I also had a history of symptoms (weight loss, iron deficiency, GI discomfort when eating gluten containing foods) which were consistent with celiac disease, but I tested negative for antibodies and was negative on biopsy.  However, my testing was performed after I had removed most gluten containing foods from my diet for about a year.  Additionally,  when I was about 17 years old, I had bad allergies, was allergy tested and found to be allergic to a large number of pollens, plants, and other things.  I went through desensitization with some improvement at the time, but it was not until I radically changed my diet that my allergies improved.   The big change I made was eliminating all sweets from my diet, and consuming carbohydrates only in the form of whole grains (now mainly short grain brown rice and corn) and vegetables.  Forty-four years later, I am still going strong with absolutely no complications from my diabetes and no significant problems with allergies.  The bottom line here is that your immune system is not working properly, and you really need to look closely at the foods you are eating.  Are you consuming sweets or foods with added sugar (fructose, glucose, sucrose, dextrose, corn sweetener, etc.) ?  Have you had a recent fasting blood sugar performed?  Is there any history of diabetes, hypoglycemia, or glucose intolerance in your relatives? 

• 3 weeks later...
june27 Apprentice

I will try to keep my background short...

I have been a suffering from seasonal allergies for many years (i'd say 25) - I think they told me that I was allergic to everything (grasses, weeds, trees) except for pine trees, as well as cats, and dust/dust mites.  I have been on antihistamines, and nasal inhalers for almost 20 years, and got allergy shots for about 8 (just stopped last year).  Even with all of these meds, my allergy symptoms were worse than most other people.  When I started having more issues with inflammation and eye dryness, I suspected that I might have something more systemic going on, and went to see a naturopath.  She had me do a food sensitivity test - which then prompted her to do a celiac panel (my gluten and wheat were off the charts).  Celiac panel came back positive, so I got rid of gluten and I also cut out the other foods that I tested high for.  It is now 1-1/2 years later, and I have been able to bring back many of the foods but not all.

So, I have to agree with nutritionguy that taking a look at food sensitivities would be wise.  My sensitivities are different, so you'll have to figure out which foods are causing you problems.

For me, the biggest offender is dairy.  When I did a challenge 8 weeks into my diet, my allergies were the worst that they were all year.  Took dairy back out, and was back to "normal".  This summer, I tried to add dairy back in again - I am fine with goat cheese, and hard cheese, but a few days with soft cheese and my allergies started to flare up again.  If I hadn't been through it myself, I honestly would not have believed that it would make that big of a difference. At first, I thought the pollen counts were just higher on those days - but I took the soft cheese out of my diet, and the pollen counts got higher, but my symptoms got better.  

Other problem foods were: yeast, yogurt, oranges/citrus, and alcohol in general can cause issues.  I now have all of these back except yogurt and dairy (except the goat cheese and hard cheese) - but if things start to flare up again, I will likely cut some of these foods out for a bit to help my system get back on track.  

Right now, I am still on the allergy meds, but I am hoping to try to start cutting back next year.  I still feel it when the pollen counts rise, but I no longer have to leave work early to go home to sleep, or skip out on night events because I just want to sleep.  

Another trick is benedryl at night - it makes me too sleepy to take during the day.  But having one before bed helps to take the edge off.  

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Juliebove Rising Star

I will try to keep my background short...

I have been a suffering from seasonal allergies for many years (i'd say 25) - I think they told me that I was allergic to everything (grasses, weeds, trees) except for pine trees, as well as cats, and dust/dust mites.  I have been on antihistamines, and nasal inhalers for almost 20 years, and got allergy shots for about 8 (just stopped last year).  Even with all of these meds, my allergy symptoms were worse than most other people.  When I started having more issues with inflammation and eye dryness, I suspected that I might have something more systemic going on, and went to see a naturopath.  She had me do a food sensitivity test - which then prompted her to do a celiac panel (my gluten and wheat were off the charts).  Celiac panel came back positive, so I got rid of gluten and I also cut out the other foods that I tested high for.  It is now 1-1/2 years later, and I have been able to bring back many of the foods but not all.

So, I have to agree with nutritionguy that taking a look at food sensitivities would be wise.  My sensitivities are different, so you'll have to figure out which foods are causing you problems.

For me, the biggest offender is dairy.  When I did a challenge 8 weeks into my diet, my allergies were the worst that they were all year.  Took dairy back out, and was back to "normal".  This summer, I tried to add dairy back in again - I am fine with goat cheese, and hard cheese, but a few days with soft cheese and my allergies started to flare up again.  If I hadn't been through it myself, I honestly would not have believed that it would make that big of a difference. At first, I thought the pollen counts were just higher on those days - but I took the soft cheese out of my diet, and the pollen counts got higher, but my symptoms got better.  

Other problem foods were: yeast, yogurt, oranges/citrus, and alcohol in general can cause issues.  I now have all of these back except yogurt and dairy (except the goat cheese and hard cheese) - but if things start to flare up again, I will likely cut some of these foods out for a bit to help my system get back on track.  

Right now, I am still on the allergy meds, but I am hoping to try to start cutting back next year.  I still feel it when the pollen counts rise, but I no longer have to leave work early to go home to sleep, or skip out on night events because I just want to sleep.  

Another trick is benedryl at night - it makes me too sleepy to take during the day.  But having one before bed helps to take the edge off.  

Good luck!

Similar story here.  Gluten isn't my issue but other foods are, including some herbs and spices. 

I knew that I had allergies but...  I didn't know of the food intolerances.  I knew that allergy pills didn't help me and most just caused sided effects making me feel even worse.  I do tend towards blepharitis.  I have to clean my eyes at least daily and sometimes allergy eye drops or artificial tears bring relief.  Such as when I hauled away my old computer desk and set up the new one.  So much dust had built up back there and I was sitting on the floor trying to keep some cords out of the way as my daughter ran the vac.  Eyes took the brunt of that!  Took me three days to get the redness and swelling gone.  But...  Since I changed my diet, I no longer have to constantly use eye drops.

I also do not go through Kleenex like mad.  I don't seem to get nearly as many colds as I used to.  Stomach isn't upset as often.  Much less issues with skin rashes and hives.

Yes, I am allergic to pretty much everything including cats and dogs and yet most animals do not bother me. 

KnightRobby Enthusiast

I wanted to thank you all for your replies as I have been MIA for quite some time.  I've seen the Allergist and have a severe, chronic form of hayfever.  I also have a sinus infection to boot.  Thanks again for your replies - they really encouraged me to get to the Allergist asap.  I'm starting allergy shots soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived