5 replies to this topic

#1 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Funny lil story , a friend of mine called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to come over for a beer. I told her a couple weeks ago I could not drink beer (she forgot), I told her I could have a drink and that I would bring it. So as we are sitting there talking she asked me about Celiac , I told her again what it was and stuff, She said ohh so after you heal you can have a beer? I said no I can never have a beer (unless Gluten Free) I said this is a diet changing disease and I have got to stay on it forever. By george I think she was going to cry! I said don't worry it is a easy diet. Just eat fresh stuff!! No worries!! She said but what are the Drs. doing about it? I said they don't do anything about it, I do. She said I hope I don't get it , that would be horrible. I said it is not horrible unless I eat Gluten ... I just got a kick out of it so had to share :) 

It may take her a while to wrap her head around it , I wrote it down so she could look it up :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Nice to have someone that cares!

#3 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I've had several situations like this. I was diagnosed very quickly and when people would ask me what the symptoms of celiac disease are I'd say, "Well, unexplained weight loss is one..." and then I'd look down at myself and say, "Um... I didn't get that one! "

Another time I was pressured to buy something from a bake sale. I said to the lady, "Would you believe there is not one thing here I can eat?" We had a short conversation about celiac disease and she said, "You poor thing!! What on earth do you eat??" Again, I looked down and said, "Um... do I LOOK like I'm starving?"

ha ha ha

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#4 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Awee yea I was losing weight , I think I have stabilized now, but my other friend does say she better not ever get Celiac because she would just die!! My other friend actually tell me " I cannot believe the Dr's tell you not to eat something and you just don't eat it" I said " Well it's either that or die from malabsorption"  no worries!! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#5 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, when people say to me that they couldn't live without eating wheat I tell them I would rather be a Celiac without wheat than to have Lupus, which is where I was headed before going gluten free. 

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Absolutely where my doc kept looking was for was Lupus. There are alot of things I could think of that is worse than Celiac .. I'd much rather have this ,than any of the devastating diseases that there is out there! If I can control with diet , ohh heck yea!! Thank you!! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: