Hello, do any of you have a recipe for oven fried chicken strips? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Just follow any chicken strip recipe found on the internet and convert.  I use gluten-free breadcrumbs to coat (season with your favorites:  spicy or not) and water/soymilk to dip prior to coating.  You can use egg too to help bind the crumbs.  Some recipes use butter to dip but that adds calories.  Bake in a shallow pan at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes (juices will run clear).  

You can buy crumbs or make them from the ends of your gluten-free bread.  Grind them in the food processor or smash in a sealed baggie.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,581 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Some people like to use corn or rice chex for the coating.  Or gluten-free pretzels.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

I make chicken nuggets in my Acti-Fry for my kids. The coating is in a baggie and I keep it in the freezer using it a couple of times.

The coating:

1c tapioca flour

1c brown rice or al purpose gluten-free flour

1/2c flax and chia meal

3/4 tsp paprika

1 tsp pepper

3 tsp seasoning salt

3/4 tsp garlic

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp mustard

I cut up about 4 chicken breasts, dip them in coconut milk and throw them in the bag. Shake the bag and place the coated chicken in the actifry.  I add about 3 Tbs oil (sesame or olive) and cook about 25-28 minutes. Crispy and the boys like them.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Ajapeu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hello, do any of you have a recipe for oven fried chicken strips? Thanks

I use gluten-free muti-pup. flour, mix in my seasonings, very fine salt (like popcorn salt) and mix well.  I then prepare a milk and egg dip/wash with regular milk and eggs.  I dip the fresh chicken breast strips into the milk and egg dip and place into the flour mix.  After breading, I fry the strips in a skillet with margarine for 2 to 3 minutes or until they start to turn golden in color.  I then place all the strips on a cookie sheet and finish them in the oven at 350 degrees. 

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

i did them once using honey and mustard mixed together for the 'glue' and crushed up honey nut cornflakes (gluten-free i think envirokids brand?) for the breading.  dip in 'glue', roll in cornflakes put on cookie sheet (i use parchment) spray with olive oil - bake til chicken is done (i think 20 min @ 350 but depends on how thick your strips are)  

i did that for breading chicken breasts stuffed with ham & cheese and baking, too, and turned out tasty.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

I use potato chips.  All different flavors work well.  It can be really quick because you don't need to add other spices. (but I add parmesan cheese and we can't use eggs to make it stick to the chicken.  the oils from the chips crisps the coating nicely.)

Michigan

Seeking2012

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

I make chicken nuggets in my Acti-Fry for my kids. The coating is in a baggie and I keep it in the freezer using it a couple of times.

The coating:

1c tapioca flour

1c brown rice or al purpose gluten-free flour

1/2c flax and chia meal

3/4 tsp paprika

1 tsp pepper

3 tsp seasoning salt

3/4 tsp garlic

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp mustard

I cut up about 4 chicken breasts, dip them in coconut milk and throw them in the bag. Shake the bag and place the coated chicken in the actifry.  I add about 3 Tbs oil (sesame or olive) and cook about 25-28 minutes. Crispy and the boys like them.

Do you know which ingredient gives the nuggets their crunchiness/crispiness? I have been using parm cheese as my breading but no crunch. Don't want to use all the ingredients in your recipe but need to pick one that will add crunchiness.

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Do you know which ingredient gives the nuggets their crunchiness/crispiness? I have been using parm cheese as my breading but no crunch. Don't want to use all the ingredients in your recipe but need to pick one that will add crunchiness.

I hate to say it, but I think it is the frying that gives it crunchiness. I cook it in an Actifry machine and use about 3 Tbs of olive oil for 4 chicken breasts.

I've read that some cereals, or even ground up potato chips can give a crunchy coating when baked.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

I basically said this same thing on the chicken nugget thread, but crushed up potato chips are great on meat and veggies.  For meat that I don't want the coating falling off of, I use 1/3 parmesean, 1/3 crushed up chips, 1/3 corn meal, pulsed in the food processor until the chips aren't totally jagged.  If you bake them raised on a grate in the pan, the bottoms will not get soggy. Also if you have a convection oven (I got mine by accident yay for delivery mixups!) cook them with convection on and it will help take the moisture off the surface and get a crispy outside.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: