Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Just follow any chicken strip recipe found on the internet and convert.  I use gluten-free breadcrumbs to coat (season with your favorites:  spicy or not) and water/soymilk to dip prior to coating.  You can use egg too to help bind the crumbs.  Some recipes use butter to dip but that adds calories.  Bake in a shallow pan at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes (juices will run clear).  

You can buy crumbs or make them from the ends of your gluten-free bread.  Grind them in the food processor or smash in a sealed baggie.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Some people like to use corn or rice chex for the coating.  Or gluten-free pretzels.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

I make chicken nuggets in my Acti-Fry for my kids. The coating is in a baggie and I keep it in the freezer using it a couple of times.

The coating:

1c tapioca flour

1c brown rice or al purpose gluten-free flour

1/2c flax and chia meal

3/4 tsp paprika

1 tsp pepper

3 tsp seasoning salt

3/4 tsp garlic

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp mustard

I cut up about 4 chicken breasts, dip them in coconut milk and throw them in the bag. Shake the bag and place the coated chicken in the actifry.  I add about 3 Tbs oil (sesame or olive) and cook about 25-28 minutes. Crispy and the boys like them.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#5 Ajapeu

Ajapeu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hello, do any of you have a recipe for oven fried chicken strips? Thanks

I use gluten-free muti-pup. flour, mix in my seasonings, very fine salt (like popcorn salt) and mix well.  I then prepare a milk and egg dip/wash with regular milk and eggs.  I dip the fresh chicken breast strips into the milk and egg dip and place into the flour mix.  After breading, I fry the strips in a skillet with margarine for 2 to 3 minutes or until they start to turn golden in color.  I then place all the strips on a cookie sheet and finish them in the oven at 350 degrees. 

#6 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

i did them once using honey and mustard mixed together for the 'glue' and crushed up honey nut cornflakes (gluten-free i think envirokids brand?) for the breading.  dip in 'glue', roll in cornflakes put on cookie sheet (i use parchment) spray with olive oil - bake til chicken is done (i think 20 min @ 350 but depends on how thick your strips are)  

i did that for breading chicken breasts stuffed with ham & cheese and baking, too, and turned out tasty.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#7 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

I use potato chips.  All different flavors work well.  It can be really quick because you don't need to add other spices. (but I add parmesan cheese and we can't use eggs to make it stick to the chicken.  the oils from the chips crisps the coating nicely.)

Michigan

#8 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

I make chicken nuggets in my Acti-Fry for my kids. The coating is in a baggie and I keep it in the freezer using it a couple of times.

The coating:

1c tapioca flour

1c brown rice or al purpose gluten-free flour

1/2c flax and chia meal

3/4 tsp paprika

1 tsp pepper

3 tsp seasoning salt

3/4 tsp garlic

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp mustard

I cut up about 4 chicken breasts, dip them in coconut milk and throw them in the bag. Shake the bag and place the coated chicken in the actifry.  I add about 3 Tbs oil (sesame or olive) and cook about 25-28 minutes. Crispy and the boys like them.

Do you know which ingredient gives the nuggets their crunchiness/crispiness? I have been using parm cheese as my breading but no crunch. Don't want to use all the ingredients in your recipe but need to pick one that will add crunchiness.

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Do you know which ingredient gives the nuggets their crunchiness/crispiness? I have been using parm cheese as my breading but no crunch. Don't want to use all the ingredients in your recipe but need to pick one that will add crunchiness.

I hate to say it, but I think it is the frying that gives it crunchiness. I cook it in an Actifry machine and use about 3 Tbs of olive oil for 4 chicken breasts.

I've read that some cereals, or even ground up potato chips can give a crunchy coating when baked.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#10 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

I basically said this same thing on the chicken nugget thread, but crushed up potato chips are great on meat and veggies.  For meat that I don't want the coating falling off of, I use 1/3 parmesean, 1/3 crushed up chips, 1/3 corn meal, pulsed in the food processor until the chips aren't totally jagged.  If you bake them raised on a grate in the pan, the bottoms will not get soggy. Also if you have a convection oven (I got mine by accident yay for delivery mixups!) cook them with convection on and it will help take the moisture off the surface and get a crispy outside.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: