Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Possible To Get Gluten From The Dishwasher?

• Please log in to reply

51 replies to this topic

#1 niese

niese

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have my own set of pots and pans which I only cook gluten free in them and I wash them by hand separate from anything else plus my cooking utensils.  However I wash my plates, cups, glasses and silverware in the dishwasher along with gluten dishes ect.  Am I asking for trouble using the dishwasher this way? After I wash my pots and pans then I wash the pots and pans that were used for gluten.  Just want to make sure I am safe since I live with gluten eaters and I am the only gluten free person in the house.  Which I keep my food separate and cook separate from gluten food.

Have a Bless Day!  :)

Denise

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

I honestly cannot see how if the dishwasher is in good working condition.

I have eaten at people's houses who are not celiacs and in restaurants where certainly, the dishes are washed with plates that once held gluteny foods and I have never felt ill from it.

Someone else who lives with gluten eaters in their homes may pipe in here and offer their thoughts as well..

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

I live with gluten and the people who eat it.  We use the same dishes, forks, etc run thru the dishwasher. 

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

ditto - i share dishes with gluten eaters and all is well - and our dishwasher *sucks*  :lol:

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

See, I told you they'd show up. :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone I thought I was safe with the dishwasher, just wanted to make sure. :)

Have a Bless Day!  :)

Denise

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

I would have to say that it depends on how good your dishwasher is and how  sensitive you are to what levels of gluten.  If you aren't experiencing symptoms, don't worry about it.  If you are experiencing symptoms, try washing all you dishes by hand and see if it makes a difference.

#8 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

and i think exactly the opposite.  you're talking high speed high temp water, here.  my dishwasher is TERRIBLE and i am sensitive (we are celiacs, aren't we all sensitive to gluten?) and i would eat off of dishes out of a dishwasher hands down any day of the week over dishes washed by hand.  hands down.  any,  day, of.  the. week.  i have friends who eat gluten and hand wash their dishes sometimes.  i don't like to eat off of their dishes but never got sick off of them.  that is my ca-rayy-zy opinion.  at restaurants, when i ever eat at them, i like my wine glass a-steamin' from the high speed high temp dishwasher  ^_^ bwah hahahahaaaaa! :ph34r:

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

and i think exactly the opposite.  you're talking high speed high temp water, here.  my dishwasher is TERRIBLE and i am sensitive (we are celiacs, aren't we all sensitive to gluten?) and i would eat off of dishes out of a dishwasher hands down any day of the week over dishes washed by hand.  hands down.  any,  day, of.  the. week.  i have friends who eat gluten and hand wash their dishes sometimes.  i don't like to eat off of their dishes but never got sick off of them.  that is my ca-rayy-zy opinion.  at restaurants, when i ever eat at them, i like my wine glass a-steamin' from the high speed high temp dishwasher  ^_^ bwah hahahahaaaaa! :ph34r:

I would go one step further on this and say that you do not need separate pots and pans, depending on what the material is they are made of.  Stainless steel is not porous and should pose no problem for use by either gluten or non-gluten foods, as long as they cleaned well.  Teflon, aluminum and cast iron (uncoated) should be dedicated to gluten free.  This is not a sensitive issue at all.  Most stuff isn't.  It's a cleanliness issue.  I am one of the ultra sensitive ones and have not had any problems with eating from shared plates or cutlery and I've been doing this for a VERY long time. 

Your opinion is not ca-rayy-zey, Arlene....... ;)

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would go one step further on this and say that you do not need separate pots and pans, depending on what the material is they are made of.  Stainless steel is not porous

SHHHH!  Don't let my Hub hear this!  I used it as an excuse to really nice new pans & to keep the boys from burning their eggs & bacon in my nice pans.  :ph34r:

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

yup, gem, i share my stainless steel with the gluten eaters - we hit it with a scouring pad (s.o.s. or brillo, etc), rinse it and it goes in the dishwasher.  i sometimes even (*gasp*) cook my (gluten-free) pasta first, drain it, and then use the same (stainless steel) pot to cook gluten pasta - that way you only have one pot to wash :)

let me add, i am PICKY PICKY PICKY and i will even eat off of dishes at my bff's (mrs. crumbhands) house because she uses the dishwasher.  when we stayed in florida and we had no dishwasher she washed the dishes by hand and i got sick.  the next year i was armed with paper plates and tinfoil.  and ziploks.  i can usually fake anything when i have my 'go-to' kitchen supplies for improvise lolz  

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#12 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

My dishwasher doesn't work particularly well.  We have a gluten free household so it isn't an issue, but I do find stuck on food on the dishes sometimes.

When I suggested hand washing dishes as a possibility to see if it would make a difference, I meant to hand wash the gluten free dishes separately.

#13 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

either way should be fine as long as they're clean, right?   it takes me for ever to do the dishes - they are probably already sufficiently clean when i put them into the dishwasher lolz - my husband does the dishes, doesn't even *rinse* everything!  and they turn out just fine.  my secret?  i don't watch him do it  ;)  and when he loads the dishwasher, my job is to put the dishes away after they're clean, so i check everything as i unload it.  if there's anything left stuck to the dishes, back in the sink they go.

steph, our dishwasher is the *worst* - it's fairly new and we already replaced the motor!!!  i wish i had the old kenmore TANK that we used to have - when it got to be on it's last legs, it sounded like a freight train was coming through the house LOLZ but it still did a great job :)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#14 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

I have not read all of the responses , but I do have questions about it only because everyone says If your using old wooden spoons , get rid of them, if your using old wooden cutting boards or plastic ones get rid of them!! I think possibly gluten can stay between the tines of forks. I know sometimes it can leave rice and stuff on bowls and plates. I don't have one but I know people who do and they complain about that kind of stuff happening. Not every piece of dish ware or flat ware comes out spotless ... So I say there can be traces of gluten... Enuf to bother someone?I don't know.  They can be germ free! But heat does not kill Gluten. :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have not read all of the responses , but I do have questions about it only because everyone says If your using old wooden spoons , get rid of them, if your using old wooden cutting boards or plastic ones get rid of them!! I think possibly gluten can stay between the tines of forks. I know sometimes it can leave rice and stuff on bowls and plates. I don't have one but I know people who do and they complain about that kind of stuff happening. Not every piece of dish ware or flat ware comes out spotless ... So I say there can be traces of gluten... Enuf to bother someone?I don't know.  They can be germ free! But heat does not kill Gluten. :)

One more time. Because this is really a non-issue.
I am pretty sure no gluten will be on a plate or a fork if your dishwasher--- or your " washer of the dishes" (in the absence of a machine) does a good job.
Let's give it a rest.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: