4 replies to this topic

#1 sleer

sleer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Bloating was always a gluten symptom of mine.  My belly swells huge, almost looks like a pregnant belly.  I've been accidentally glutened on Friday.  I'm making my way through my symptoms and eating naturally gluten free food, etc.  But my belly is still bloating after eating and it is Monday.  I don't remember if the bloating went away immediately after I stopped eating gluten before.  My question is does anyone else experience this when they've been glutened, where they continue to bloat after eating for a while even though the subsequent meals are not gluten foods?

Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

I definitely bloat quite a bit when I get glutened - my family also says that I look pregnant...  After this happens and I lay on my belly, it feels like I'm laying on rocks and its terribly uncomfortable.  Your intestines need time to calm down and decrease the swelling after being glutened, so I'm not surprised that you're still experiencing the bloated symptoms.  Mine lasts for about a week or so, but it eventually goes down - drink a lot of water and don't drink anything too cold, it is irritating to the gut.  Feel better!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#3 Kate79

Kate79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Bloating was always a gluten symptom of mine.  My belly swells huge, almost looks like a pregnant belly.  I've been accidentally glutened on Friday.  I'm making my way through my symptoms and eating naturally gluten free food, etc.  But my belly is still bloating after eating and it is Monday.  I don't remember if the bloating went away immediately after I stopped eating gluten before.  My question is does anyone else experience this when they've been glutened, where they continue to bloat after eating for a while even though the subsequent meals are not gluten foods?

Thank you.

I bloat like that, sometimes for up to 2 weeks after getting glutened. In addition to lots of water. I've found that taking a ginger extract (about 30-40 liquid drops in a glass of water a few times a day) is helpful for reducing the bloat.  I started taking it on the recommendation of my doctor, who told me that ginger acts as an anti-inflammatory in the intestines.  You can get the extract at Whole Foods or similar stores - and you could probably make a tea by boiling fresh ginger that would have the same effect.  Ginger teas from bags don't help me nearly as much, but you could also try those.

#4 Chrisz1000

Chrisz1000

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thank you.

Yep mine lasts approximately 2 weeks. Its not painful, but its definitely there and gradually starts coming down after a week.

As with my other symptoms this one seems to last for longer, the longer I go without gluten.

#5 lexibrowning

lexibrowning

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

My bloating always lasts for at least a week, sometimes two.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: