This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Healing Vs. Being Glutened

pochtas2003

pochtas2003 Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease about a month ago. Two weeks after my diagnoses, I felt great. Pretty much back to normal. I think that I was glutened unknowingly and it has been over a week and half and I still feel sick. IBS symptoms, muscle cramps, tired all the time. I've been trying to be extra careful about what I eat to make it doesn't have any gluten, but I'm still sick. Not sure if I'm still healing or if I'm ingesting gluten without knowing it.

Any advice or tips to feel better would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

it takes awhile for the gluten reaction to go away.  if i get 'glutened' i feel it (full on!) 2 days later and then it takes another 12 days to go away  :(  you are very new - have you read the newbie 101 thread?  lots of info to help you avoid pitfalls, especially early on.  welcome to the best club you never wanted to join  -_-  hope you feel better soon.

tka Apprentice

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease about a month ago. Two weeks after my diagnoses, I felt great. Pretty much back to normal. I think that I was glutened unknowingly and it has been over a week and half and I still feel sick. IBS symptoms, muscle cramps, tired all the time. I've been trying to be extra careful about what I eat to make it doesn't have any gluten, but I'm still sick. Not sure if I'm still healing or if I'm ingesting gluten without knowing it.

Any advice or tips to feel better would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago. It's an up and down ride and very difficult to know when you are glutened by cross-contamination, especially if you are still eating out any. I hadn't eaten out for a while until yesterday, then I really did it. We had a birthday lunch at work and my brother's birthday dinner too. I did not eat anything with gluten that I am aware of, but must have been cross-contaminated because I'm paying for it now. Will have the bloating and gas, headache, muscles aches, fatigue that can last up to 5 days or more. From what everyone on this forum has said, It can take months for you to really feel better consistently. Don't get down on yourself and don't get discouraged ( I need to remember that myself!)

A couple of other things I learned from this site that my doctor never said anything about:

1. Once you go gluten free, the reactions are much worse than before.

2. Check all of your meds for gluten.

3. Get really good at knowing how they put hidden gluten in your food and note if a food was made in a facility other than completely gluten free. Even though it is a gluten free food itself, you can be cross-contaminated.

4. Check your makeup and personal care products for gluten (including toothpaste).

5. Buy your own butter, peanut butter and condiments and label them so no one sticks a knife into them with gluten on their utensil and spreads it to the container.

6. Get a new toaster that only you use so you don't transfer gluten from someone else that way.

7. Invest in at least one pot or pan that can be designated for gluten free use only...don't reuse one that is Teflon or such coated. Buy a new spoon for stirring too.

8. Many people can't eat milk products when first diagnosed.

9. Many people can't eat oats either. They can easily be cross-contaminated in the processing.

10. Make sure your doctor has checked other markers in your blood for things like anemia, low B12, low D3, as you may need replacement until you heal.

Sorry if this is a lot. I know it can be overwhelming. I wanted to try to put all of this in one place for you. If you search items from this list in the forum, you will find threads that go into greater detail on each area. They have been a lifesaver for me. Hope you feel better soon.

it takes awhile for the gluten reaction to go away.  if i get 'glutened' i feel it (full on!) 2 days later and then it takes another 12 days to go away   :(  you are very new - have you read the newbie 101 thread?  lots of info to help you avoid pitfalls, especially early on.  welcome to the best club you never wanted to join  -_-  hope you feel better soon.

Archived