This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Apparently You Guys Were Right, It's All In My Head!

Renegade

Renegade Contributor

If it says may then dont have it like!! Your just going to continue down this road forever like. I know you did not say wheat, i meant nut soy wheat oats gluten barely or whatever just dont have it. Were the same age mate so ive basically been where you are but really your attitude doesnt help like. So good luck to you i wouldnt wish anyone to be sick but your not helping yourself at all.

It's all cool, any food is making me sick so I'll just be eating eggs for the next week and see if it gets worse or bad, if that doesn't work I'll try eating mangoes for a whole week and so on, because I have no idea what is good or bad for me, remember any food gives me a reaction , water as well so since i don't wanna die of starvation I'll still ingest one thing at a time for days hoping it is safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
answerseeker Enthusiast

If it says may then dont have it like!! Your just going to continue down this road forever like. I know you did not say wheat, i meant nut soy wheat oats gluten barely or whatever just dont have it. Were the same age mate so ive basically been where you are but really your attitude doesnt help like. So good luck to you i wouldnt wish anyone to be sick but your not helping yourself at all.

^is why commenting is not going to help^

I ask a question and get 2,  maybe 4 answers if I'm lucky, and this guy who is rude and doesn't want to listen to anyone and blames us for misdiagnosing him gets 6 pages. odd

deals88 Rookie

It's all cool, any food is making me sick so I'll just be eating eggs for the next week and see if it gets worse or bad, if that doesn't work I'll try eating mangoes for a whole week and so on, because I have no idea what is good or bad for me, remember any food gives me a reaction , water as well so since i don't wanna die of starvation I'll still ingest one thing at a time for days hoping it is safe.

Well if you do this right and i mean actually work hard to stick to certain foods and find the answer then i shall like to help, i understand the frustration when you have to deal with this s$#& everday. No more attitude though or im out and i imagine all will be. Let us know how your getting on later in the week

deals88 Rookie

I ask a question and get 2,  maybe 4 answers if I'm lucky, and this guy who is rude and doesn't want to listen to anyone and blames us for misdiagnosing him gets 6 pages. odd

The attiude has to go ofc but its hard not to emphasis when were both the same age  and i remember how bad it all was and then the doctor asking me was it all in my head lol that was a grit your teeth moment and last time i seen him of course.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you ever had Cream of Buckwheat cereal? It is high in easily digestable protein and carbs. It should be easy on your stomach. It is gluten free, I use the Pocono brand. If you liked cream of wheat you will likely enjoy Cream of Buckwheat.

Eggs are pretty high on the 'foods folks are most likely to be intolerant' to list. If you are going to start with just one food for a week the buckwheat might be a better choice.

You also mentioned having problems with eating an apple. If you can cook your fruit for now or Delmonte canned fruits in just their own juice might be more digestable. Maybe pair that cream or buckwheat with some applesauce or peaches after a few days.

Chrisz1000 Newbie

The attiude has to go ofc but its hard not to emphasis when were both the same age  and i remember how bad it all was and then the doctor asking me was it all in my head lol that was a grit your teeth moment and last time i seen him of course.

I agree. Don't forget, for some of us the mental problems are equal to or worse than the physical and its harder to spot somebody going through mental troubles and even harder to know how to help.

Hopefully we can help Renegade through this hard time and he will look back through his posts in a few months to see how his state of mind has improved.

The fact that he's here, persisting and trying is enough to keep helping. Turn the other cheek as someone once said.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

When I last bought Wolff's whole grain buckwheat which is made in the same mill as Pocono, I found a piece of what looked like wheat in 3 boxes out of 4.  If guy is more sensitive than average, I wouldn't recommend it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Your answer totally cracked me and made me laugh.  You are correct about your observation and all I can say is that rude and obnoxious seem to always get more attention than nice and polite.  It's the same on the news.....do they ever tell heartwarming stories as opposed to depressing violence that is always on the tube?  It's rare.

As for me, I don't waste any more time on people who post like that.  There's enough other people to help who don't have such a bad attitude and who are willing to listen to good advice.

;)

Gemini Experienced

Same here. I can't eat the gluten free commercial products. All my symptoms came back when I introduced these products to my diet. Now I'm all messed up again after doing so well for a month. Whole foods is the best option. Cooked not raw

Most of the time it's not low levels of gluten in commercially prepared gluten-free products. If these products were so contaminated, none of us would ever heal. If you are fairly new to the diet, then your gut will not be nearly enough healed to eat gluten-free commercial goods.  Most of them do not have many ingredients like their non-gluten-free counterparts, but the ingredients they do have can be irritating to a non-healed system.  I am insanely sensitive ands nearly died from this disease 8 years ago but have recovered extremely well and can tolerate many, many foods I couldn't eat before.  I am sure you will get there also, it just will take a whole lotta time!

answerseeker Enthusiast

For sure, I ate boxed mashed potatoes the other night and had extreme pain and d the next day, only to realize the box said may contain wheat uggh. One little scoop is all it took

Still learning and still healing! Hey that's my new motto ;-)

dilettantesteph Collaborator

For sure, I ate boxed mashed potatoes the other night and had extreme pain and d the next day, only to realize the box said may contain wheat uggh. One little scoop is all it took

Yup, some of us are sensitive to lower levels of gluten than others.  It looks like you are one of the more sensitive ones.  So am I.  May contain wheat does not mean does contain wheat.  Also, that statement is voluntary, so it not being there does not mean necessarily that the product is less likely to contain some wheat contamination.  The low level contamination only affects a small fraction of celiacs.  That's how the FDA decided on the 20 ppm limit for most celiacs. 

answerseeker Enthusiast

It's hard to know if it had wheat but I ate chicken and those potatoes. I haven't had pain like that since going gluten free so it had to be the potatoes. For sure not the chicken

They were homestyle butter flavored by Betty Crocker any idea if they contain gluten?

psawyer Proficient

They were homestyle butter flavored by Betty Crocker any idea if they contain gluten?

Betty Crocker is a General Mills brand. Any gluten source will be clearly disclosed on the label. If you still have the package, your answer is there.
answerseeker Enthusiast

It just says may contain wheat

psawyer Proficient

It just says may contain wheat

Then there is no gluten intentionally in the product, but it is produced in a facility where wheat is present.
answerseeker Enthusiast

And I could get d and cramping just from that? Geesh this is hard!

Gemini Experienced

Peter explained it pretty well and you will learn which companies with shared facilites will work for you.  This has nothing to do with sensitivity and more to do with the fact that you are new and have a long way to go with healing.  Besides, and I will say this without any malice intended.....what are you doing eating mashed potatoes out of a box? :o   You have Celiac and even if you didn't, no one should eat that crap.  Cut up some fresh potatoes and make them from scratch.  They will taste better and you won't get sick.  :)  

I can tolerate some shared facility foods but have gotten sick from others.  I am very sensitive.  Some companies do a great job of segregating things while others do not.  Sometimes you can feel crappy from eating too many processed foods and it has nothing to do with gluten at all.  When you get used to eating clean, unprocessed foods, then anything processed may not sit well with you. Whatever you do, do not become afraid of food.  You may be able to tolerate more foods down the road that you can't eat right now.  I have and my gut was completely gone at diagnosis but that was 8 years ago.  Things are good now!  You'll get there but just stick with unprocessed stuff for now and let your body heal and don't worry about being contaminated by "low level gluten" that may or may not be there. 

answerseeker Enthusiast

Lol I know but I needed a quick side dish and didn't have time to make them from scratch. That makes sense though.

Gemini Experienced

I know it can be much easier to use boxed stuff but cooking from scratch is almost a must for us and in the end, the food you make will be far tastier and you won't get sick. It does help tremendously if you like to cook.  :)

w8in4dave Community Regular

I actually think making from scratch is easier , boil potatoes :) Poof your done! :) 

GFinDC Veteran

Is there any chance it was something you ate the day before?  Symptoms don't always show up right away.  They can be delayed for a while sometimes.  Just a thot, that it might be worthwhile considering the food from the day before also.  If it was something from the day before you wouldn't want to miss out on identifying it.

w8in4dave Community Regular

Usually my symptoms show up within a half hr. Do you put milk in the boxed mashed potatoes? 

Chrisz1000 Newbie

Usually my symptoms show up within a half hr. Do you put milk in the boxed mashed potatoes? 

Same here - sometime I react whilst eating/drinking gluten by accident. However, I have learned that miniscule amounts can bring about a delayed reaction of upto a few hours.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Yep I thought perhaps the milk. I know I have some lactose intolerance as I've switched to LF milk and have felt better, however it never gave me the cramping pains. Only gluten and oats have done that to me.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Is there any chance it was something you ate the day before? Symptoms don't always show up right away. They can be delayed for a while sometimes. Just a thot, that it might be worthwhile considering the food from the day before also. If it was something from the day before you wouldn't want to miss out on identifying it.

The symptoms showed up the next morning after I ate the potatoes for dinner, although I felt suddenly very tired an hour or so after but the cramps and d came the next day

I ate the chicken the day before just like this time, except the day before I had asparagus with it so only the potatoes were a new addition. I always eat asparagus as its my favorite veggie so that's not new

Archived