This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Apparently You Guys Were Right, It's All In My Head!

Renegade

CR5442 Contributor

My glutening symptoms show up slowly over two days.  Firstly I feel tired and woozy after about an hour an a half, then insanely hungry for about a day, then very poorly with fever, flu symptoms for about 12 hours, then very poorly tummy and water retention, irritability, tiredness etc for about 3 weeks. Next time it might be different.  This was the first real glutening I've had in two years.  Clean home prepared food is by far the best for me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
notme Experienced

My glutening symptoms show up slowly over two days.  Firstly I feel tired and woozy after about an hour an a half, then insanely hungry for about a day, then very poorly with fever, flu symptoms for about 12 hours, then very poorly tummy and water retention, irritability, tiredness etc for about 3 weeks. Next time it might be different.  This was the first real glutening I've had in two years.  Clean home prepared food is by far the best for me!

right - *completely* different than any other reaction i/we have to other foods - when you stay/eat clean enough and are well for a good while, a glutening will be very easy to identify, am i right?  not D for a day, say, like when i eat something that irritates my guts or dairy which is gassy and uncomfortable.  it starts with a headache, b%$@#iness, tired tired tired for me and i'm all like o sh!t here it comes.  left side ribcage pain is a dead giveaway for me.  go directly to bed, do not pass the bathroom, do not collect 200 dollars.  see ya in 2 weeks :(  

it'll make you smarten up in a hurry - eating out 'just anywhere' and most packaged foods are off limits for me.  mleh - it's cheaper and easier to just make your meals yourself from 'plain foods' anyway.  i am blessed to be home at this time in my life.  i don't know how i worked all those years - i must have been a zombie.  and we won awards in my office!  so, i was good at it!  (haha maybe because i was so cranky all the time and my profession is on the edge of 'cut-throat" hahahaa)  i was always late, though.  one time, for two months my boss had to pick me up and bring me to work because i had vertigo so bad i couldn't drive at all.  felt like i was falling off the road and i had panic attacks.  i'm saying extra prayers right now for y'all who are trying to work a job while dealing with this all.  God bless you!  

answerseeker Enthusiast

right - *completely* different than any other reaction i/we have to other foods - when you stay/eat clean enough and are well for a good while, a glutening will be very easy to identify, am i right?  not D for a day, say, like when i eat something that irritates my guts or dairy which is gassy and uncomfortable.  it starts with a headache, b%$@#iness, tired tired tired for me and i'm all like o sh!t here it comes.  left side ribcage pain is a dead giveaway for me.  go directly to bed, do not pass the bathroom, do not collect 200 dollars.  see ya in 2 weeks :(

it'll make you smarten up in a hurry - eating out 'just anywhere' and most packaged foods are off limits for me.  mleh - it's cheaper and easier to just make your meals yourself from 'plain foods' anyway.  i am blessed to be home at this time in my life.  i don't know how i worked all those years - i must have been a zombie.  and we won awards in my office!  so, i was good at it!  (haha maybe because i was so cranky all the time and my profession is on the edge of 'cut-throat" hahahaa)  i was always late, though.  one time, for two months my boss had to pick me up and bring me to work because i had vertigo so bad i couldn't drive at all.  felt like i was falling off the road and i had panic attacks.  i'm saying extra prayers right now for y'all who are trying to work a job while dealing with this all.  God bless you!  

yes I really feel for the people that have to work. I couldn't even imagine trying to hold down a job feeling the way I have. I do homeschool and last year was bad. I barely made it through the day.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I just make a few fork holes in a potato and throw it in the microwave for 5 mins at a squeeze. Or pop a few in the oven at a time, then keep them in the fridge to heat up.

I have been at home with the kids a while, but a year gluten-free and I am volunteering 2 to 3 days a week and planning to retrain and work full time. Miracles can happen :)

w8in4dave Community Regular

Yea I cannot imagine working and not knowing you have Celiac!! Unless you have a private bathroom!! Maby bring in your laptop and phone so you can work from the Toidy :) lol 

Seriously tho I feel eating a nice healthy meal is very important if you are Celiac. You are not absorbing your vitamins and minerals!! You really need to eat healthier. Take vitamins and Minerals Eat fresh healthy foods!! It is important!! Your body cannot function properly if it doesn't get what it needs. I am almost 4 months into it!! I feel better for sure!! But I know I am still not up to par!! Makes me wonder how I was dealing with it all be for ... Just eat healthy!! 

• 3 weeks later...
LisaRae28 Newbie

The lactose intolerance is usually from prolonged periods of time not digesting foods with lactose in it. Your body stops producing the enzyme. The lactose intolerance from celiacs is from the tips of the villi breaking off when the intestine is damaged. So you're both right but it is an indication of celiac if removing lactose doesn't fix the problem. I've read a little on it but I *try* to limit my "crazy time" on google n even sites like these to a reasonable window of time nowadays cuz if I already feel like crap confusing myself with too much information is just gonna make it worse so I may be wrong (or most likely only have part of the picture lol)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I feel you need to pick at least 1 protein food and preferably more.  If you use meats you have not generally eaten before you shouldn't have built up intolerances to them.  I would add well cooked vegetables.  If you haven't tried Fennel bulb, there is one you don't have antibodies too.  If mango is new it would be a nice addition.  Don't forget some good varieties of fat such as olive oil, coconut oil, and butter if tolerated.  I would encourage you to consider rotational diet rather than limiting your diet so much.  Your body needs more than enough nutrients in order to heal.  Many of them won't be absorbed.  Are you on supplements?  Are you taking Digestive enzymes?

I recall some that were on a very limited diet that we haven't heard from in months.  Please try to keep as many foods as possible.

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived