arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Apparently You Guys Were Right, It's All In My Head!

[updated]]

• Please log in to reply

106 replies to this topic

#91 answerseeker

answerseeker

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

And I could get d and cramping just from that? Geesh this is hard!

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

For sure, I ate boxed mashed potatoes the other night and had extreme pain and d the next day, only to realize the box said may contain wheat uggh. One little scoop is all it took

Still learning and still healing! Hey that's my new motto ;-)

Peter explained it pretty well and you will learn which companies with shared facilites will work for you.  This has nothing to do with sensitivity and more to do with the fact that you are new and have a long way to go with healing.  Besides, and I will say this without any malice intended.....what are you doing eating mashed potatoes out of a box? :o   You have Celiac and even if you didn't, no one should eat that crap.  Cut up some fresh potatoes and make them from scratch.  They will taste better and you won't get sick.  :)  

I can tolerate some shared facility foods but have gotten sick from others.  I am very sensitive.  Some companies do a great job of segregating things while others do not.  Sometimes you can feel crappy from eating too many processed foods and it has nothing to do with gluten at all.  When you get used to eating clean, unprocessed foods, then anything processed may not sit well with you. Whatever you do, do not become afraid of food.  You may be able to tolerate more foods down the road that you can't eat right now.  I have and my gut was completely gone at diagnosis but that was 8 years ago.  Things are good now!  You'll get there but just stick with unprocessed stuff for now and let your body heal and don't worry about being contaminated by "low level gluten" that may or may not be there. 

#93 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Lol I know but I needed a quick side dish and didn't have time to make them from scratch. That makes sense though.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#94 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

I know it can be much easier to use boxed stuff but cooking from scratch is almost a must for us and in the end, the food you make will be far tastier and you won't get sick. It does help tremendously if you like to cook.  :)

#95 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

I actually think making from scratch is easier , boil potatoes :) Poof your done! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#96 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Is there any chance it was something you ate the day before?  Symptoms don't always show up right away.  They can be delayed for a while sometimes.  Just a thot, that it might be worthwhile considering the food from the day before also.  If it was something from the day before you wouldn't want to miss out on identifying it.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#97 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Usually my symptoms show up within a half hr. Do you put milk in the boxed mashed potatoes? 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#98 Chrisz1000

Chrisz1000

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Usually my symptoms show up within a half hr. Do you put milk in the boxed mashed potatoes? 

Same here - sometime I react whilst eating/drinking gluten by accident. However, I have learned that miniscule amounts can bring about a delayed reaction of upto a few hours.

#99 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yep I thought perhaps the milk. I know I have some lactose intolerance as I've switched to LF milk and have felt better, however it never gave me the cramping pains. Only gluten and oats have done that to me.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#100 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Is there any chance it was something you ate the day before? Symptoms don't always show up right away. They can be delayed for a while sometimes. Just a thot, that it might be worthwhile considering the food from the day before also. If it was something from the day before you wouldn't want to miss out on identifying it.

The symptoms showed up the next morning after I ate the potatoes for dinner, although I felt suddenly very tired an hour or so after but the cramps and d came the next day

I ate the chicken the day before just like this time, except the day before I had asparagus with it so only the potatoes were a new addition. I always eat asparagus as its my favorite veggie so that's not new

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#101 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

My glutening symptoms show up slowly over two days.  Firstly I feel tired and woozy after about an hour an a half, then insanely hungry for about a day, then very poorly with fever, flu symptoms for about 12 hours, then very poorly tummy and water retention, irritability, tiredness etc for about 3 weeks. Next time it might be different.  This was the first real glutening I've had in two years.  Clean home prepared food is by far the best for me!

#102 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

My glutening symptoms show up slowly over two days.  Firstly I feel tired and woozy after about an hour an a half, then insanely hungry for about a day, then very poorly with fever, flu symptoms for about 12 hours, then very poorly tummy and water retention, irritability, tiredness etc for about 3 weeks. Next time it might be different.  This was the first real glutening I've had in two years.  Clean home prepared food is by far the best for me!

right - *completely* different than any other reaction i/we have to other foods - when you stay/eat clean enough and are well for a good while, a glutening will be very easy to identify, am i right?  not D for a day, say, like when i eat something that irritates my guts or dairy which is gassy and uncomfortable.  it starts with a headache, bitchiness, tired tired tired for me and i'm all like o sh!t here it comes.  left side ribcage pain is a dead giveaway for me.  go directly to bed, do not pass the bathroom, do not collect 200 dollars.  see ya in 2 weeks :(  

it'll make you smarten up in a hurry - eating out 'just anywhere' and most packaged foods are off limits for me.  mleh - it's cheaper and easier to just make your meals yourself from 'plain foods' anyway.  i am blessed to be home at this time in my life.  i don't know how i worked all those years - i must have been a zombie.  and we won awards in my office!  so, i was good at it!  (haha maybe because i was so cranky all the time and my profession is on the edge of 'cut-throat" hahahaa)  i was always late, though.  one time, for two months my boss had to pick me up and bring me to work because i had vertigo so bad i couldn't drive at all.  felt like i was falling off the road and i had panic attacks.  i'm saying extra prayers right now for y'all who are trying to work a job while dealing with this all.  God bless you!  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#103 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

right - *completely* different than any other reaction i/we have to other foods - when you stay/eat clean enough and are well for a good while, a glutening will be very easy to identify, am i right?  not D for a day, say, like when i eat something that irritates my guts or dairy which is gassy and uncomfortable.  it starts with a headache, bitchiness, tired tired tired for me and i'm all like o sh!t here it comes.  left side ribcage pain is a dead giveaway for me.  go directly to bed, do not pass the bathroom, do not collect 200 dollars.  see ya in 2 weeks :(

it'll make you smarten up in a hurry - eating out 'just anywhere' and most packaged foods are off limits for me.  mleh - it's cheaper and easier to just make your meals yourself from 'plain foods' anyway.  i am blessed to be home at this time in my life.  i don't know how i worked all those years - i must have been a zombie.  and we won awards in my office!  so, i was good at it!  (haha maybe because i was so cranky all the time and my profession is on the edge of 'cut-throat" hahahaa)  i was always late, though.  one time, for two months my boss had to pick me up and bring me to work because i had vertigo so bad i couldn't drive at all.  felt like i was falling off the road and i had panic attacks.  i'm saying extra prayers right now for y'all who are trying to work a job while dealing with this all.  God bless you!  

yes I really feel for the people that have to work. I couldn't even imagine trying to hold down a job feeling the way I have. I do homeschool and last year was bad. I barely made it through the day.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#104 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

I just make a few fork holes in a potato and throw it in the microwave for 5 mins at a squeeze. Or pop a few in the oven at a time, then keep them in the fridge to heat up.

I have been at home with the kids a while, but a year gluten-free and I am volunteering 2 to 3 days a week and planning to retrain and work full time. Miracles can happen :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#105 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yea I cannot imagine working and not knowing you have Celiac!! Unless you have a private bathroom!! Maby bring in your laptop and phone so you can work from the Toidy :) lol 

Seriously tho I feel eating a nice healthy meal is very important if you are Celiac. You are not absorbing your vitamins and minerals!! You really need to eat healthier. Take vitamins and Minerals Eat fresh healthy foods!! It is important!! Your body cannot function properly if it doesn't get what it needs. I am almost 4 months into it!! I feel better for sure!! But I know I am still not up to par!! Makes me wonder how I was dealing with it all be for ... Just eat healthy!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: