Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac And Gallstones

7 posts in this topic

Is there a way to tell the difference in celiac symptoms and gallstone symptoms? Been gluten free for 2 months. Just found out I have gallstones.

Ads by Google:

I didn't have gallstones, rather a painful gallbladder. For me, the pain would isolated and so bad that i couldn't breathe at times. It made stomach cramps, be they gluten related or a stomach virus type, pale in comparison.

Gallbadder attacks (I had a non-functioning GB), caused me to 1) pass out, 2) wake up and vomit, and 3) severe cramping and diarrhea for up to 10 hours.  The last month prior to my surgery, I had nausea and indigestion.  That's when my gallbladder finally stopped working for good!  Infected and had to come out!

Used to be a asymptomatic for celiac disease, but I got glutened 2 days ago at a Red Robin Restaurant (gluten-free menu but poor cross contamination training).  Here are those symptoms:  indigestion, rock feeling in stomach, body aches, headaches, nausea, cramping and diarrhea.  I'm still sick! :unsure:

The effects of being "glutened" are becoming more dramatic as time goes by!  Ugh!  

Gallbadder attacks (I had a non-functioning GB), caused me to 1) pass out, 2) wake up and vomit, and 3) severe cramping and diarrhea for up to 10 hours.  The last month prior to my surgery, I had nausea and indigestion.  That's when my gallbladder finally stopped working for good!  Infected and had to come out!

Used to be a asymptomatic for celiac disease, but I got glutened 2 days ago at a Red Robin Restaurant (gluten-free menu but poor cross contamination training).  Here are those symptoms:  indigestion, rock feeling in stomach, body aches, headaches, nausea, cramping and diarrhea.  I'm still sick! :unsure:

The effects of being "glutened" are becoming more dramatic as time goes by!  Ugh!

The extreme burning high in my abdomen that sometimes goes thru to my back and down the side, sometimes with sharp little knife like pains interspersed, I think come from the gallstones. That's different from the area that I have pain from being glutened or just still recovering I think. I agree with the achy muscles and joints and headaches being associated with the celiac...and the fatigue. I belch like crazy with the gallstones more than with the celiac. But I can't seem to tell the difference with the cramping and diarrhea and sometimes the gas associated with them both. It's hard for me to gauge sometimes if I doing well or not on my gluten-free diet. I'm trying really hard, but sometimes something hits me and I wonder what I did wrong. But maybe it's the gallstones instead. Just frustrating!

The extreme burning high in my abdomen that sometimes goes thru to my back and down the side, sometimes with sharp little knife like pains interspersed, I think come from the gallstones. That's different from the area that I have pain from being glutened or just still recovering I think. I agree with the achy muscles and joints and headaches being associated with the celiac...and the fatigue. I belch like crazy with the gallstones more than with the celiac. But I can't seem to tell the difference with the cramping and diarrhea and sometimes the gas associated with them both. It's hard for me to gauge sometimes if I doing well or not on my gluten-free diet. I'm trying really hard, but sometimes something hits me and I wonder what I did wrong. But maybe it's the gallstones instead. Just frustrating!

How have you done since getting your gallbladder out? I'm trying to work thru this with diet, but don't know if I'm gonna last.

How have you done since getting your gallbladder out? I'm trying to work thru this with diet, but don't know if I'm gonna last.

It's been seven years since my gallbladder was removed and I was diagnosed with celiac disease in March 2013.  I have had no issues at all since the removal.    I did pass out about two months ago and that seemed like a gallbladder attack.  I had eaten lots of gluten-free tenders that I had fried myself. 

Maybe my bile duct wasn't very happy.

I started getting those gallbladder attacks when I was a kid.  Maybe if I had been gluten free, I might have saved my gallbladder.  I encourage you to hang tough and see if you can heal your gallbladder as your intestines heal.   But then, I didn't have stones -- just the family curse of a non-functioning GB.    If you can, keep all your "parts".   But if not, the surgery is not bad at all!

Good luck!

It's been seven years since my gallbladder was removed and I was diagnosed with celiac disease in March 2013.  I have had no issues at all since the removal.    I did pass out about two months ago and that seemed like a gallbladder attack.  I had eaten lots of gluten-free tenders that I had fried myself. 

Maybe my bile duct wasn't very happy.

I started getting those gallbladder attacks when I was a kid.  Maybe if I had been gluten free, I might have saved my gallbladder.  I encourage you to hang tough and see if you can heal your gallbladder as your intestines heal.   But then, I didn't have stones -- just the family curse of a non-functioning GB.    If you can, keep all your "parts".   But if not, the surgery is not bad at all!

Good luck!

Thanks. Both my Mom and Dad have had their gallbladder out. They want me to get it taken out. I want to give it a while if I can like you said to see if healing and diet can keep me from having to have the surgery. All of the people I know who have had the surgery felt much better afterwards. But several people I have read on line have had more difficulty after. I am doing better at the two food lists I have to worry about now and my gallbladder episodes are getting better, but I have not had a full-blown, completely debilitating one yet like some describe. My doctor has already said if that happens, he wants me to have it taken out. I am still dealing with bloating and gas, headaches, fatigue and indigestion. But they are better too thankfully most days.