This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Darn It!

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

I've been feeling better and gaining foods back. Last night I tried blueberries, my favorite fruit. These were USA blueberries from the grocery store. I washed them thoroughly, cut the big ones in half, then cooked them on the stovetop until they were juicy. I didn't add sugar or anything. Just ate them as is.

A few minutes later I had stomach pain. Within less than two hours I was in the bathroom, pooping blueberries. (Sorry.) This morning I have a new outbreak (minor) of psoriasis.

I have no idea why they give me so much trouble. I thought for a while I had salicylate sensitivity. But it doesn't seem to matter how much broccoli or sweet potatoes I eat, and they are very high in sals. I mean, some days I eat two sweet potatoes and a TON of broccoli with no problem. I know sals are cumulative so I had backed off on these two things to "make room" for the blueberries. Didn't make any difference.

Besides, the sals problem first surfaced with asperin, and I didn't get stomach distress or D from it, just psoriasis.

I guess I'm not looking for an answer. Just reporting that blueberries don't work for me. Maybe this will help some of the folks here who have reactions to foods that shouldn't by rights bother them. I guess even after over two years, some of us react to foods for no known reason.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

ibupropen makes my scalp break out - i only take ONE once a month <which is probably the only reason i figured it out lolz

Adalaide Mentor

I'm sorry that blueberries don't love you back. :( It always sucks when foods we love lots seem to have it out for us.

I know this has nothing to do with anything really, but I discovered this afternoon that there is a band named Steam Powered Giraffe. I've had a rough few weeks recovering from stupidity and this was just sort of a bright spot that reminds me that even when you're getting kicked while you're down, there are always gems that can make us smile. :)

notme Experienced

i call them 'breadcrumbs', addie - ironically lolz - a little *happy* to put in my pocket for when things aren't so great.  glad you got one :)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I successfully added blueberries in last week.  I don't mean to me you jealous Barty, but only wanted to show that not everyone must cut out blueberries.  Maybe, hopefully, one day you will be able to get them back, if you ever dare to try!  I don't know about you, but I have to feel really good to feel free to chance ruining my feeling of well being.

D

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I don't know if you will want to try this or not.  When I was figuring this stuff out I happened to have various things growing in my garden which were additive free in terms of pesticides etc.  Sometimes I had problems with something I bought in the store, but I could eat the stuff that came out of my garden.  It means taking the chance of getting sick again, but I did it to be able to figure out what was going on.  Plus there some things that I really didn't want to give up.

bartfull Rising Star

Steph, I am a big believer in organic! Last time I tried blueberries they were fresh organic ones. It didn't work then, but at that time ANYTHING not organic was giving me trouble. Lately I have been able to eat non-organic produce so I thought I'd give these a try. It's so hard to even get organic stuff in this little town. There are places that have boxes that they sell weekly, but you must buy the whole box, you never know what you're going to get, and it just isn't worth it to me. A lot of times the boxes contain nothing that I can safely eat. My other choice is to buy frozen organic at the health food store at prices I frankly don't want to pay.

Right now I am getting lots of good stuff from friends with gardens. Winter, when I have to go back to the grocery store is going to be bleak.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

(hugs)

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I was going to ask if you can get your hands on some wild blueberries, also organic? I eat them all summer long... but if you had trouble with blueberries before, and now again, that could be that. Which sucks. I hope you have many other wonderful fruit to eat instead.

And I'll have to look up Steam Powered Giraffe now.

Feel better!

bartfull Rising Star

350px-Shovel1.webp              ?     :lol:

magnify-clip.png
Adalaide Mentor

This will cheer you right up. Open Original Shared Link

bartfull Rising Star

What an adorable baby! Oh, it breaks my heart when I hear on the news, it seems weekly, about all of the poaching going on. I swear, if I ever hit the bazillion dollar lottery, I would do something to try to save them all.

Adalaide Mentor

What an adorable baby! Oh, it breaks my heart when I hear on the news, it seems weekly, about all of the poaching going on. I swear, if I ever hit the bazillion dollar lottery, I would do something to try to save them all.

We could start the first North American elephant/giraffe nature preserve. It'll be AWESOME!

bartfull Rising Star

I'm IN!! Got my tickets for the lucky drawing right here...

Adalaide Mentor

I'd go get tickets but I'd have to drive to Idaho for that. <_< Maybe I need plan a short 3 day trip to Vegas and strike it rich while I'm there. :D

notme Experienced

350px-Shovel1.webp              ?     :lol:

magnify-clip.png

i LOVE old construction equipment :)  i am amazed and fascinated by machinery - i used to put the newsletter out for "easy diggin' " chapter of the historic construction equipment association (hcea) we had guys who restored this type of stuff and then we had a place at a local quarry where we would have a show and 'play' with them.  :)  i have a lifetime membership and at one point i was president of the chapter lolz 

thanx for the 'breadcrumb'  :D

Adalaide Mentor

i LOVE old construction equipment :)  i am amazed and fascinated by machinery - i used to put the newsletter out for "easy diggin' " chapter of the historic construction equipment association (hcea) we had guys who restored this type of stuff and then we had a place at a local quarry where we would have a show and 'play' with them.   :)  i have a lifetime membership and at one point i was president of the chapter lolz 

thanx for the 'breadcrumb'   :D

My dad used to take me with him to tractor shows and such. I have to say that there is nothing in the world like the sound of a hit n miss engine running. I could just sleep to that sound. I love seeing the old machines that got us where we are today.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Steph, I am a big believer in organic!

I have reacted to a lot of organic stuff too.  I'm not sure why, but when I grow that same stuff myself, I can eat it without problems.  I wish you the best in finding stuff to eat.

bartfull Rising Star

I agree that the sound of some of these old machines is music to the ears.

Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

That is SO COOL!

notme Experienced

that's AWESOME!!!  thanx, barty :)

bartfull Rising Star

:)

I love old tractors. My Dad had nine of them. And I love jazz guitars. I have 14 of them. This is one of my favorite videos of all time. :wub:

Adalaide Mentor

My dad collects old crawlers. He just went to a show in Missouri or somewhere last month and came home with a new one. I swear its like he's 5 and just buying grown up hotwheel cars that are way more fun. He got a sawmill I swear because he thought it would be fun to own. It just so happens that it also is a great business opportunity and that the crawlers happen to be a good way to get logs. It is the worst case scenario of justification for a man and his toys. At least he's happy though.

bartfull Rising Star

" At least he's happy though."

And that's all that matters. Cherish him while you've got him and give him a hug from me.

notme Experienced

It is the worst case scenario of justification for a man and his toys. At least he's happy though.

we used to have 'road trips' - to OLD junkyards/fields overgrown with weeds in the middle of nowhere in search of cool (rusty old what the heck is this?) machinery.  that's how i found out 'buffalo-springfield' wasn't just the name of a band (found a steam roller for my friend that was a buffalo-springfield lolz - what mechanical genius' to think of all that stuff 'back in the day!')  i was just looking at one of their recent newsletters and at one of the meetings, there was a planned 'stuff wars' lolzz basically who found the coolest things and acquired them.  mens...... ^_^

my husband collects guns (he is licensed antique firearms dealer -  although i don't know why because he will NEVER sell any!)  but at least they're easier to store than a steam shovel !   :P

Archived