1 reply to this topic

#1 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:44 AM

Hi , I just wanted to mention what I just found out about rice. Turns out rice has a protein very similar to one of the 3 proteins that celiacs react to. It is very similar to the protein that causes the DH reaction. I discovered this when reading 'Dangerous Grains', I gave the book to my son to take back to school with him and ordered another copy. Since my DH has been very tough to clear up, it takes months for one sore to heal and even the tiniest bit of gluten seems to reactivate, I cut rice out of my diet last week, and guess what my DH seems to be finally healing. My exhusband seems more upset about the rice loss than I am :smile: he was like 'what ever are you going to eat now??!! For now I think I'll stick to a modified 'paleo diet' Meat, veggies, fruits and nuts. For a snack last night I cooked down some sugar, water and a bit of gluten-free vanilla till it was syrupy then poured it over a sliced apple and banana instead of my usual rice crisps or popcorn. I didn't feel deprived at all, actually felt a little wicked, all that positvely gluten-free sweetness. Anyway I thought you might find the similarity between rice and wheat interesting, not all celiacs react to rice of course but those with the skin problems may be more likely to.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

Hi , I just wanted to mention what I just found out about rice. Turns out rice has a protein very similar to one of the 3 proteins that celiacs react to. It is very similar to the protein that causes the DH reaction. I discovered this when reading 'Dangerous Grains', I gave the book to my son to take back to school with him and ordered another copy. Since my DH has been very tough to clear up, it takes months for one sore to heal and even the tiniest bit of gluten seems to reactivate, I cut rice out of my diet last week, and guess what my DH seems to be finally healing. My exhusband seems more upset about the rice loss than I am :smile: he was like 'what ever are you going to eat now??!! For now I think I'll stick to a modified 'paleo diet' Meat, veggies, fruits and nuts. For a snack last night I cooked down some sugar, water and a bit of gluten-free vanilla till it was syrupy then poured it over a sliced apple and banana instead of my usual rice crisps or popcorn. I didn't feel deprived at all, actually felt a little wicked, all that positvely gluten-free sweetness. Anyway I thought you might find the similarity between rice and wheat interesting, not all celiacs react to rice of course but those with the skin problems may be more likely to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thank you so much for posting, I have a friend who has DH and it isn't clearing up, I will pass this along to her maybe if she cuts the rice out for a while she will feel better.
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: