This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Twin Cities (Mn) Recommendations?

Eclara

Eclara Explorer

Anyone have any recommendations for gluten intolerance and celiac-educated doctors, particularly gastros, in the Twin Cities and the southern surrounding areas? Basically anywhere between-ish Lakeville to Minneapolis. I've been to three doctors in the MN Gastro chain so far, and I don't know if I just happened to pick the worst ones but they were enormously unhelpful. But if you have a specific doctor from that chain, I'd be willing to try going there again! I also know the Mayo is nearby but I don't think I would get in because my symptoms are not as severe as other people on their list, and I've already had an endoscopy which came back negative.

I just need someone who won't immediately dismiss me when I tell them I have lasting symptoms from my gluten trial 9 months ago. So far they've all taken one look at my IGA and biopsy results and told me there was no correlation between gluten and my symptoms before wildly attempting to push drugs at me.

Any recommendations would be a big help! Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I go to Between the Bridges In Mankato, Mn.  Dr. Kotulski came highly recommended as one knowledgeable of how to use supplements.  He was recommended to me by my chiropractor who called around and found He is trained in Osteopathic medicine and Functional Medicine  Dr. kotulski was associated with the Mayo Clinic for 32 years before opening Between the Bridges.  Functional medicine looks for roots of illness rather than just treating symptoms.  A couple of years back Dr. Kotulski helped to solve my son's problems with parasites and damaged villi.  This seemed shockingly similar to the damage I had sustained from celiac.

I didn't want to use a male doctor myself, so when I heard there was a nurse practitioner using Functional Medicine techniques practicing there, I went.  I knew that Dr. Kotulski would help her if she needed it.

I first went to the clinic myself five months back.  I have been there 3 times.  I had a nutrient test  done elsewhere in November which I could not grasp the meaning of.  Lisa, the nurse explained to me the significance of these test results.  They backed the nutrition program I was on, with a couple of key supplements added.  In spite of a great diet and supplements, my vitamin A and B levels were seriously low and many other nutrients were borderline.  I tripped markers for mal-absorption.  Dr. Kotulski told the nurse that  on the November day of my test that I had nothing to make cortisol with. 

I just had a repeat nutrient test in order to discover that my all my nutrient levels (but one) had come up to normal or better.  Vitamin B levels came way up to slightly high levels!

I am happy with Lisa, the nurse.  She carefully, answers each of my questions.  The treatment seems to really help.  I highly recommend this clinic.

Just to be clear this is not a "GI" doctor.  I thought you may be willing to consider it.  Whatever, you decide, best wishes for your total well being.  If you have any questions about Between the Bridges or the practitioners there, feel free to ask.

D

.Open Original Shared Link

Eclara Explorer

I go to Between the Bridges In Mankato, Mn.

Thank you so much for your response! Unfortunately, that is outside of my driving range as I don't have a license and the only person available to drive me can generally only take a couple hours of out his day. I will definitely make note of it for future reference though!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Thank you so much for your response! Unfortunately, that is outside of my driving range as I don't have a license and the only person available to drive me can generally only take a couple hours of out his day. I will definitely make note of it for future reference though!

Too bad.  I have asked the only other member I know from MN to tell us who her GI doctor is. 

The same person that recommended Dr. Kotulski to me also told me of the Bruley Clinic.  The doctor is an MD with Functional Medicine training.  Since I went to Dr. Kotulski, I didn't get an opportunity to go to this clinic.  At the time, their appointments were 2 + months out. Open Original Shared Link

Hey, there must be more MN's out there???

D

maggiesimpson Apprentice

Eclara,

It is further north than what you were hoping for, but I see Dr. O'Reilly at MN Gastro in Maplewood. I have to admit that I was frustrated early on, but overall it has been a good experience. He was more than willing to work with me and had an open mind. He is the one who suggested we don't just focus on celiac, but look at other possibilities. I usually see others in his office who report to him, and most of them are pretty good. Only one of them did not impress me because she didn't explain things well and constantly had to go talk to the doctor before answering my questions.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you are able to find a GI doc that fits your needs.

Maggie

• 3 months later...
Cindy Anderson Newbie

I am in MN and looking for a good one to. I am in the twin cities on the Eden Prairie side. 

Archived