This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Type And Cd

sonjaf

How many of you have type O blood? (Positive or negative)  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

sonjaf Rookie

I heard an interesting thing at the gluten-free store yesterday. I was wondering how many of us with celiac disease also have type O blood. I am O+ and the only one in my family, and also the only one with celiac disease. Hum.... wondering if there is a connection. If so, that would help a lot of others with diagnosis.

Sonja

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I am O+...alot of my family is O+ and many have digestive problems but will not get tested for celiac. Only a few have went for testing.

VydorScope Proficient

Inst Type O the most common blood type? If it is,then of course alot of ppl with celiac disease would have it....but I am nost sure on that fact.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, I believe O is the most common blood type but I am not sure on that.

Guest Viola

Type A-B here. I think it's fairly rare.

skoki-mom Explorer

I am also O+, but something like 52% of the population is O+.

VydorScope Proficient
I am also O+, but something like 52% of the population is O+.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea.. so most ppl with celiac disease will habe O+, but you realy cant go the other way...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

i was also going to comment on O being the most common, so the theory of most people with celiac disease having O, b/c of the blood type itself wouldn't really be an accurate assumption...

sonjaf Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting still.

If you are visiting this question, PLEASE VOTE. I know it's not scientific, but still interesting to me.

I don't know which blood type is most common, but I do know that of the four most common ones, A, B, AB and O, type AB is the most rare type. These are only the four most common. There are actually other types out there. Type O is popular because it can be given as a blood transfusion to the other types.

sonja

tarnalberry Community Regular

controlled studies have not found a link between celiac disease diagnosis and blood type. perhaps they've missed something, but it doesn't look like it. but it's not that surprising that the genes for determining blood surface proteins are different than the genes for digestive enzymes.

skbird Contributor

I'm A+ - I joke it's the only A+ I've ever gotten (ok, 7th grade drafting class...)

I went on a kick with the blood type diet which helped me further learn of my gluten problem by educating me on the problems with wheat. I did identify other things as well that seem to be mild problem foods for me, such as garbanzo beans and some kinds of fish. I think the lectin issue is interesting - seems to have some semblence of science behind it but hasn't totally proved true for me.

Anyway, interesting poll.

Stephanie

redheadheather Explorer

My mother is A+ and diagnosed celiac. I don't know what blood type my son is. I'm AB+, but then again I tested negative.

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

0- here... 'the universal donor' ...

I can give my blood to ANYONE, but I can only get blood from other 0- peps...

preferrably only gluten-free 0- peps ;-)

Gina

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I heard an interesting thing at the gluten-free store yesterday. I was wondering how many of us with celiac disease also have type O blood. I am O+ and the only one in my family, and also the only one with celiac disease. Hum.... wondering if there is a connection. If so, that would help a lot of others with diagnosis.

Sonja

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AB+ here. I looked at the blood type diet briefly a long time ago, if I followed their thinking there is no way I could be celiac, but I better not eat chicken! Interesting poll though.

Guest Viola

Now, as we AB types are supposed to be the newest blood type, we should be the ones that can actually eat all these grains without problem. Isn't that was evellution (sp) is all about? :lol:

VydorScope Proficient
Now, as we AB types are supposed to be the newest blood type, we should be the ones that can actually eat all these grains without problem. Isn't that was evellution (sp) is all about?  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived