Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Free Ground Turkey Without Natural Flavoring?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#1 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'm sensitive to a few things right now and I wanted to start eating ground turkey but found that companies like jennie-o have natural flavoring listed in the ingredients. Does anyone know of a place where i can order just the plain meat online? Like omaha steaks does for a few things? Or a grocery store company that's just...the meat? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Have you tried to contact Jennie o and see what the natural flavoring is? The butcher at my store said that the whole turkeys they have ( not Jennie O but it may be true for them, too). Are injected with water and salt. It's hard to find any without that extra salt which was my issue with them.

I know some on here grow their own chicken and turkeys. You might look for a local farm and get turkey from them. It won't be ground but you could grind it or just eat it. Local farmers markets might be good places to look. Even if they aren't selling meat, ask around. They may have some turkeys or know someone who does.

Adding: If you live near a city with Muslims, you might check with a Halal meat store. The one here is very friendly to non- Muslims. I know they have chicken but not sure about turkey.

Edited by kareng, 25 August 2013 - 04:46 AM.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Only realized the natural flavoring since jennie-o closed on friday so I'm gonna call tomorrow :) Thanks for letting me know that I had no idea sometimes that that's all natural flavoring means..

Good suggestion on the Muslim meat store I never would have thought of that!

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Only realized the natural flavoring since jennie-o closed on friday so I'm gonna call tomorrow :) Thanks for letting me know that I had no idea sometimes that that's all natural flavoring means..

Good suggestion on the Muslim meat store I never would have thought of that!

Grill those Jennie O people! :0.

Seriously, post what they say. I would be curious. I have heard they sometimes add raw turkey juice or chicken for chicken. I don't quite understand where this " juice" comes from. Maybe when they grind it the juice comes out and they mix it back in?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Quite possibly yeah. Probably ground the turkey but want it to keep more of it's flavor so they place it back in? We'll see what they say I'll give them a call.

#6 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Called Jennie-O just now and she said that natural flavoring will always refer to a spice or seasoning. When i asked her about what was in the ground turkey she said rosemary :blink:  That's out for me at the moment. Maybe someday!

#7 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

rosemary is gluten-free.  i have eaten jennie-o products (usually ground turkey) with no adverse effects.  i'm arlene and i'm a celiac.  no problem with ground turkey or rosemary  :)   sorry it's off limits for you i guess you must have an allergy to rosemary i am assuming.  but rosemary is an herb and is gluten-free so safe to eat for celiac.com :)  turkey is a gluten-free food so gobble gobble :P

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

I've been staying away from spices and working on my nutrition due to problems I've been having. Spices might give me trouble with the issues I've been having. So it's out for me for now unfortunately. I really wanted ground turkey but it looks like it's hard to find..shadybrook farms ground turkey has rosemary as well. I just want some ground turkey darn it!!!! lol

#9 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hmm even costco told me the ground turkey has rosemary. I guess I'm sticking to the turkey tenders i found at weis as it only has salt and water solution injected and is completely gluten free. No ground turkey for me =\

kareng you sad your issue was the salt injections? Was this just you needing to control sodium intake or was there another problem? I'm hoping I can eat these :) lol

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hmm even costco told me the ground turkey has rosemary. I guess I'm sticking to the turkey tenders i found at weis as it only has salt and water solution injected and is completely gluten free. No ground turkey for me =\

kareng you sad your issue was the salt injections? Was this just you needing to control sodium intake or was there another problem? I'm hoping I can eat these :) lol

My mom had CHF ( congestive heart failure, etc) and retained fluid easily. I needed low sodium for food I fixed for her. That's how I noticed that some chicken says about 40 mg sodium per serving ( the naturally occurring amount) and others said 110 for the same serving size.

I wonder if you couldn't find a local farmer who sells meat. Or a smokehouse. We have a smokehouse that will sell you the turkey without the salt, etc before smoking if you ask. Smaller businesses are like that. They might even grind it for you but I know you don't live near here.

santa-dance.gif

#11 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Good thought. I'll have to look into some of this. Thanks!

#12 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

If you have a food processor you can buy turkey pieces and grind yourself as well.

ETA: oops! Karen beat me to this in her response. I have never seen anything added to raw turkey meat in Canada. It is very easy to find it "naked" in our grocery stores, thankfully.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#13 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

haha thanks. The food processor thing would definitely be an option. As for things being added....I just moved to the states in 2009 from canada myself. Your ground turkey doesn't say natural flavoring or anything? That's all that was on any of this...and apparently even with costco when i called ...even though the website doesn't even label natural flavoring in it..or in the picture....it has rosemary. Ugh. If I go home for a visit I'll be double checking to be sure lol Unless of course my issues are cleared up by then and it doesn't matter anymore haha

#14 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Sheltons (Usually in natural foods) has ground turkey.  I just checked my label and did not find anything but turkey with retained water.

I got mine from Azure Standard.  I am in a natural food buyers club.  I am not sure how far east they go.  You can visit their website at azurestandard.com

D

#15 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Oh my gosh thank you for that suggestion. I have to give them a call. Looking at their website it looks like you can get it delivered!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: