• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

birdie22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Is there any other reason than celiac that would cause a tTg IgA to be even slightly elevated? Do "normal" people have some tTg IgA in their systems?

The reason that I ask is that mine was tested recently. Now, I've been gluten-free since Nov 2011 and did (with advice from my doc and my own desire) a gluten challenge in July (I'm diagnosed NCGS). I only lasted 12 days on the challenge and broke out in a lacy full body rash, joint pain, heartburn, etc. I already had the lab request paperwork from my doc for the tTg and a CBC so I went ahead and did the lab work even though I knew the tTg wouldn't be accurate. I didn't get the lab work done for a month AFTER I stopped the challenge. Again, knew a 12 day challenge wasn't long enough for accurate results so having it done a month later wasn't really going to matter.

I got my results today and the tTg IgA was 5.4 (ref range 0-19.9 negative). My total IgA was 204 (ref range 70-400). 

So I'm curious 5.4 isn't 0 but it's also well below the 19.9. Could it be possible to have low amounts of tTg normally circulating?

Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,584 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

My best guess is - Its either a normal occurrence in humans or an inherent issue with the test.  That is why they have a range for normal.  For some reason, tests in healthy people may have a small amount of what is being tested for.  Or, the test has an issue that this normal range fixes.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: