Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Think I Found The Glutening Source......

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 sleer

sleer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

So, I had been feeling really crummy for a few weeks and could not identify a source of gluten.  I thought maybe cross-contamination but if that was the case it would have to be persistent because my symptoms were not getting better.  I went so far as to inquire about the vodka used for a vodka sauce I had twice during my reaction period.  Then today for lunch I went to a place I frequent with an excellent gluten free menu.  They even bring out special "gluten free" chips to serve while the rest of the table has bread.  Only this time the waitress was informed enough to let me know that they do not use a dedicated fryer for the chips and so if I'm highly sensative I may want to beware.  I think this may have been the cause?  I've eaten there several times and eaten the chips without thinking to ask about the fryer.  Needless to say, I did not partake in the chips this time around. 

I think sometimes it just feels good to come up with a potential source of the problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Yes, that would be the reason.

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Another problem might be how many times do you eat out?  If you eat out on a regular basis, then you could be cc'ing yourself repeatedly from many sources, especially if the restaurants are not higher end.  Trained chefs are educated in cc issues and line cooks at most restaurants usually have no chef training.  But as a Celiac, eating out any more than once a month puts you at high risk for getting sick or taking many small hits.  It sounds like you may be fairly new to this as you did not inquire about the fryer.  It usually takes quite a while to learn how to eat out successfully but you still have to keep it to a minimum, as far as how many times you do go out.  It's rare to find a dedciated fryer so always assume, unless it is advertised loudly, that it is not.

#4 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

If the restaurant you've been going to has a gluten-free menu, you should really talk to the manager/owner and suggest they label the chips and other deep-fried items that they are not cooked in a dedicated fryer. If you see an item listed on a gluten-free menu, you assume it's actually gluten-free! You don't want other people making the same mistake.

I'm lucky to have a place in my neighbourhood that does gluten-free fish and chips in a dedicated fryer, and all the fries are done separately from the regular fish. It's pretty sweet. (I limit myself to a few visits a year, because even if it's safe, it is deep fried...)

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#5 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

I was going to a restaurant that I thought the chips were on the Gluten free menu and sadly I was wrong also!! Why Corn chips are not just Corn chips id beyond me. But when I suspected it was the chips , I asked for a gluten free menu and they gave me one to take home. The corn chips were NOT on the menu .. So yea I had a awakening also. Glad it isn't just me! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#6 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, I usually ask if the tortilla (corn) chips are just corn, cause sometimes they're not. Also, if the restaurant makes their own, they might be fried in the same oil as gluten.

I've had an "it's not on the gluten-free menu but we're pretty sure it's gluten-free" situation before. One of the only times I've had to send something back to the kitchen. They had a nice gluten-free menu, but lots of dairy. For some reason i read their special as being "quinoa", and even checked with the kitchen who said it was gluten-free. When it came, it was couscous. Umm... couscous is NOT gluten-free. It was both our faults since I read me menu wrong like a idiot, but they should have known it wasn't gluten-free (they gave me some like about it being some special gluten-free couscous, but I wasn't buying that). I was there with a big group, so it was incredibly awkward. They were apologetic and brought me something else but man, not fun.

So yeah. Always check. Always. (I repeat this to remind myself to follow my own advice).

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:24 AM

I love those store bought rotisserie chickens. They have :) Love them!! Have not had one since going Gluten free. Well I was going to a friends and bought one for lunch and lo and behold I looked and sure enuf Malt Flour ... What the heck? Not sure if Malt Flour is gluten free or not but I didn't eat it ... I had corn chips and black refried beans instead pfftttt 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,119 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

I love those store bought rotisserie chickens. They have :) Love them!! Have not had one since going Gluten free. Well I was going to a friends and bought one for lunch and lo and behold I looked and sure enuf Malt Flour ... What the heck? Not sure if Malt Flour is gluten free or not but I didn't eat it ... I had corn chips and black refried beans instead pfftttt 

I think malt flour would be barley malt and I would stay away from it.

Not sure why they put malt flour on a chicken - wouldn't be my first thought if I was making a rotisserie chicken - Lets' see.....how should I season these lovely chickens?  garlic?  rosemary? parsley?  salt and pepper?  Hey, lets use up this malt flour!

chef-smiley-emoticon.gif

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:36 AM

I just looked it up and on  "Living Strong" said They will use it to brown, and make it shinier. Well to me they made it not edible... My friend said just take the skin off and eat it. Lol I said no thank you :) I will feed it to my dog 1st lol.

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,119 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

I just looked it up and on  "Living Strong" said They will use it to brown, and make it shinier. Well to me they made it not edible... My friend said just take the skin off and eat it. Lol I said no thank you :) I will feed it to my dog 1st lol.

I know there are a lot that are gluten-free.  People say the Costco ones are.  I don't remember if the Walmart/Sam's Clubs are.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

I will have to look into that. Wonder if Krogers are? I bought that one at Food town. Well I have a rotisserie! From now on maby I should just do my own :) lol 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: