#1 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Good morning my fellow celiacs and gluten intolerants,

I need some clarification. Recently I had posted something on colorings/flavorings. I have found that several items such as, BBQ sauce have nothing that screams gluten other than caramel coloring but my ShopWell app tells me to avoid due to gluten. What are your experiences with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

[Emphasis in original]

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

So is it a gamble mostly? I mean don't food companies HAVE to label the major allergen ingredients now? I am not taking part in thes items just to be safe...

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

So is it a gamble mostly? I mean don't food companies HAVE to label the major allergen ingredients now? I am not taking part in thes items just to be safe...

How is usually made from " corn" and "contains no gluten" because of the processing, a gamble? They don't have to label it if it doesn't contain a major allergen. And, because it doesn't contain a major allergen, it wouldn't be labelled.

Edited: my teenage son wanted to talk....as that is rare, I quickly hit enter.

That sounds kind of harsh and I didn't mean it to be. Is confusing because there are all these Celiac " experts" on the internet saying all sorts of odd things. Caramel coloring is gluten-free. Is it a nice natural ingredient that never bothers anyone? Of course not.

Just checked our favorite BBQ sauce - no Caramel coloring.

Edited by kareng, 27 August 2013 - 09:00 AM.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

No, it is not a gamble. As Shelley says, caramel color contains no gluten. No worries there.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

How is usually made from " corn" and "contains no gluten" because of the processing, a gamble? They don't have to label it if it doesn't contain a major allergen. And, because it doesn't contain a major allergen, it wouldn't be labelled.

Edited: my teenage son wanted to talk....as that is rare, I quickly hit enter.

That sounds kind of harsh and I didn't mean it to be. Is confusing because there are all these Celiac " experts" on the internet saying all sorts of odd things. Caramel coloring is gluten-free. Is it a nice natural ingredient that never bothers anyone? Of course not.

Just checked our favorite BBQ sauce - no Caramel coloring.

Sorry I was reading the comment from psawyer on my phone and the last part was placed WAAAAY down and I did not see it. I apologize for bothering you with my confusion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: