• Please log in to reply

No replies to this topic

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'm concerned about my recent kidney function test results, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. Here's the situation:

• My celiac tests were negative (more info about health history in my signature below), but I had many, many symptoms and have celiac in a first-degree relative, and my biopsy only took four samples (none from duodenal bulb) and did not include lymphocyte counts. So I'm not sure how much to trust the results.
  • A metabolic panel was run at the start of my gluten challenge, in May. My GFR was >90 at that point, and my creatinine was .8 (range .6-1.2). Two years ago my creatinine was .7.
  • My tongue and lymph nodes swelled up during the gluten challenge, neurological symptoms worsened, hair started falling out, I had soaking night sweats every night, etc. My GI symptoms improved hugely within a week of going gluten-free, the night sweats went away, and the neurological symptoms and rashes are slowly but definitely improving too. However, the angioedema has not improved.
  • Food allergy tests were negative. TSH has been tested repeatedly and is always fine. I'm having a CT scan of the mouth/throat today. 
  • A second metabolic panel that was just run shows a creatinine increase to .9 (still squarely within normal range) and a decrease in GFR. It doesn't show the exact number, just that it's >60, with the notation "Chronic Kidney Disease stage 1-2". My doctor said it's nothing to worry about, but my research indicates that quickly-rising creatinine and decreasing GFR are not normal. I know that GFR naturally decreases with age, but I'm only 37 years old and this seems like a significant change in just three months. 

Could worsening kidney function be caused by the gluten challenge?

Has anyone had their GFR improve after going gluten-free?

Is my doctor right that having a GFR classified as the early stages of chronic kidney disease is no reason for concern? 

Edited to add: I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. I don't know if there's any connection between celiac and kidney disease, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any research indicating a connection between gluten and kidney function, or has experience suggesting that these issues may be related. 

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosed by GI with "presumed celiac" based on health history, celiac in family, and resolution of fat malabsorption and many other symptoms on gluten-free diet. Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Negative celiac tests after 15 years gluten-light and then a brief but awful gluten challenge. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: