This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New School For Seventh Grader -- Ideas On How To Prepare

ImaMiriam

ImaMiriam Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

My daughter, who was diagnosed Celiac in late April (2013) had been attending a private Day School for a few years. Before her diagnosis, I saw a decline in her eating (due to her stomach aches, duh!) and the last months of school in the spring were very difficult. In particular, she wasn't eating much of her lunch (sometimes she didn't eat any of it!) I decided to move her back to public school primarily because the Day School is a 40-minute bus ride (each way!) from our home. The public school is 3-5 miles away.

I'd love to hear from those of you who have children this age -- she's 11 and will be 12 in a few months. Specifically, I'm concerned about finding ways to make lunch attractive again to her (so that she eats more), and possibly finding a way to motivate her to eat a snack each morning (while at school).

Usually we eat a good breakfast before she leaves for school. She is about 10 lbs underweight and her doctor wants her to eat 5 meals a day. I've started making green smoothies as our afternoon snack. I love these -- and she sometimes likes them. She used to enjoy eating and now is afraid of stomach aches.

Also, what about hand-washing? I saw in another Topic Thread that perhaps one should have a 504 Plan....and include that she must be allowed to go wash her hands at a sink, at any time she wishes. Does anyone have verbiage for a 504 plan, for any and all recommended Celiac issues for a seventh grader?

I look forward to hearing from other moms/dads about this important topic, as school starts soon! Her first day is Friday, September 6. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I don't have to deal with a 504 plan as my daughter hasn't been diagnosed.  But, I can comment on fun and good things to eat that I pack for my daughter and it's typically gluten free.   She's in the 7th grade (two weeks so far) and there are no lockers.   Therefore, she must haul her lunch, water bottle and snack around.  The teachers highly recommended that the kids bring their lunch since there's so much confusion the first couple of weeks.  Our district in general has terrible lunches!  Yuck!  So, my daughter's been bringing her lunch since the first grade!  

Middle school is a little tough.  Since she must haul her lunch, we try to pack light.  But, I still send her off with a thermos (stored in a soft lunch bag) which may contain:

• gluten-free taquitos
  • gluten-free Tamales
  • Chili (that I make)
  • Meatloaf (made with rice)
  • Corn pasta with butter and parm cheese
  • gluten-free mac and cheese
  • Cheese slices or cheese stick/ham/turkey
  • Chicken a la King on mashed potatoes

Separate bag with Blue Ice:

• Yogurt -- Soy or Cow
  • Fruit
  • Salad Bowl w/ Grilled chicken
  • Veggie:  carrot sticks, cucumber, soy beans (endaname), celery w/ peanutbutter
  • Dessert:  gluten-free cookie, cupcake, brownie 
  • Pirate's Booty or Cheese Puffs (gluten-free) or Corn chips

Everyday, she gets a veggie and a fruit.  Always a protein, so if she takes noodles, I give her a slice of cheese or a container of peanut butter for her celery or apples.

Sometimes, she takes goodies that friends bake since they know I don't bake anything but gluten-free.  

She used to take milk, but chose the smaller blue ice and I worried that it would spoil or worse spill in her backpack.  

I'm the queen of freezing.  I can't live without my extra freezer in the garage.  

Nutrition is a banana, apple, corn chips, fruit leathers, stuffed in her outside backpack pocket.

Hope this helps!

Juliebove Rising Star

Yes, she should have a 504 plan.  I found a lot less food issues when my daughter was in Jr. High but...  They were required to use wheat pasta to build a car in science class.  And because they used wagon wheel shapes, I couldn't just send in gluten-free pasta.

As for the eating...  Good luck with that!  This is the age where girls in particular, do not want to eat at school.  My daughter tells me that the other kids don't eat so she doesn't want to either.  The best I could do with her was get her to take some baby carrots or apple slices to school.  But she is overweight.  And that presents its own problems. 

I just try to make sure that she eats well before and after school.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Yes, she should have a 504 plan.  I found a lot less food issues when my daughter was in Jr. High but...  They were required to use wheat pasta to build a car in science class.  And because they used wagon wheel shapes, I couldn't just send in gluten-free pasta.

As for the eating...  Good luck with that!  This is the age where girls in particular, do not want to eat at school.  My daughter tells me that the other kids don't eat so she doesn't want to either.  The best I could do with her was get her to take some baby carrots or apple slices to school.  But she is overweight.  And that presents its own problems. 

I just try to make sure that she eats well before and after school.

My DD is entering 5th grade and I just finished our 504 plan which we will present in a couple of weeks. She is also dx hashimota's disease, overweight and doesn't eat any veggies except carrots and only 4 fruits ,which is proving difficult if damn near impossible to control her weight and constipation issue's.  I have included in my 504 the option to use a safe microwave which I will purchase if necessary, I am hopeful this will provide options we never had before.

ImaMiriam Apprentice

Thanks, All, for the ideas -- it helps me get started. Does anyone know a good place to buy small lunch thermos? In the spring, when I tossed all of our "gluten-contaminated" plastics including thermoses, my husband only bought one and he said it was overly expensive. I haven't started looking -- ideally I guess I'll order online.

Also, what size thermos do you recommend? I'm thinking that if I can find something fairly small, my daughter usually loves to bring leftovers. And if she eats it all, even if it's a small portion, I'll feel happy. Last year she threw away the majority of her food. :-(

I'm also trying to find ways to encourage eating and make meals more exciting. With my daughter home with me all summer, I haven't had much time to myself or to do much planning. I'm hoping that once she's in school, I'll have time and space to be a bit more creative.

I'm not sure how to start on a 504 Plan. Do you contact the school first, or is there a form online? I'll need to get Doctor's signature as well, right?

Archived