Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Glutened, And No One To Blame But Myself :)

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#1 june27

june27

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

i am generally very good about watching out for gluten, but every now and then i get side-tracked and can't seem to talk and focus on gluten at the same time.  

last week, i was on vacation with my boyfriend.  he had gone up to the bar to get drinks (beer for him, and hard cider for me).  when i joined him, he was in a discussion with the bartender trying to assess if the hard cider on tap would be safe for me.  i have been gluten-free for over 1.5 years now, and am getting better at wording questions that wait-staff can answer, so i asked if the tap was dedicated to cider.  it was.  I was so excited, i grabbed my cider and took a small sip - it was delicious!  as i was swallowing (and my boyfriend called me name), i realized the thing that made it taste so good was that it was a nice hoppy IPA, and not a cider at all.  OH NO!!  

fortunately, i only had an unhappy tummy for a day - it could have been so much worse.  

another lesson learned - no more draft cider for me if there is a chance i might get distracted :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Oh no! :o Glad it hasn't been too hard on you.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

I did a similar thing last night! I was having a few ciders and went to the fridge for another one, I didn't know it but someone had put a bud lite in the cider 6pack holder. I didn't even look at the bottle (I was talking) I just popped the top and took a big swig! doh! I do feel pretty bad today, nauseous, tired, stomach cramps-not a good way to START my vacation! LOL 

"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#4 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Me too.  In fact this is how I got my last glutening.  I was out on our pontoon with DH and grabbed a bottle out of the cupholder, thinking it was my Angry Orchard when it was hubby's Abita.  Luckily I realized after 1 sip but the damage was already done.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#5 Tbolt47

Tbolt47

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

I imagine the 6th ring of hell being, just that, sipping an ice cold beer and simultaneously  savoring the goodness and then the panic sets in.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian "  - Henry Ford

"What I can give, is never as much as I get from the giving "  -Author Unknown

#6 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear that others have suffered, but it is comforting to know that I have company :)

I was kind of hoping that I would no longer like the taste of a good IPA, but no such luck.

#7 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I'm always afraid of something like this happening. My man is a big beer connoisseur (read: snob), so I do lots of beer smelling (there's this amazing raspberry beer that's sheer torture), but am extremely careful not to touch the stuff (and no post-beer kisses either).

I've had some close calls though: distractedly trying to get caps off regular beer bottles thinking it was my gluten-free, nearly taking a sip of a beer I was just supposed to take a sniff of (It seriously looked like juice! He said "here, try some" and I tentatively took it until he grabbed it back at the last minute. Ack!)

I also rarely get draft cider anymore because of CC fears. And also because I'm getting sick of cider.

Hope you recover quickly. It's amazing what a sip will do to us!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

That's our world, I'm afraid ....a gluten-filled landmine. <_<

Guys, Kareng tells me she has a bright, colorful beer cozy thinger she puts on her  G F beer so she does not sip her hub's beer by mistake.

(hmm...not sure what to do about the glasses in a pub, except maybe never, ever put it down?)

Maybe you guys can get some of those cozies (I see it is also spelled koozies)

just a thought! cheers...and I hope you recover quickly.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

That's our world, I'm afraid ....a gluten-filled landmine. <_<

Guys, Kareng tells me she has a bright, colorful beer cozy thinger she puts on her G F beer so she does not sip her hub's beer by mistake.

(hmm...not sure what to do about the glasses in a pub, except maybe never, ever put it down?)

Maybe you guys can get some of those cozies (I see it is also spelled koozies)
just a thought! cheers...and I hope you recover quickly.

I have had this happen to me. Now, my beer is always in a cover like this. http://www.freakerus...collections/all
Or the foam kinds. My hub doesn't use one unless he is outside. Even if my hub brings me my beer in the cover or sets it in the cover, I double check what is in the coozie before I drink. One time he put his beer in my koozie by accident.

We went to the lake a couple of weeks ago. I didn't bring a koozie. My hub started drinking my beer! Fortunately, we had plenty so I poured that one out.

At bars, the gluten-free beer is usually in a bottle, so I just leave mine in the bottle. So uncouth!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Beer cozy is a good idea! I should knit myself a couple.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Beer cozy is a good idea! I should knit myself a couple.

holysmokes, Peg--you could have your own beer cozy business.

PeglegBabykegKovers.   :lol:  Copyrighted, this day by IH  You're welcome! Send me one for the hubs?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

so I just leave mine in the bottle. So uncouth!

this is K...being "uncouth"

beer.gif

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

at home, or in my normal surroundings, i am very diligent.  however, put me in a situation where i am distracted and chatting away and all bets are off :)

my boyfriend already declared that he will not be buying my cider on tap.  i think he felt pretty badly, even though it was my own doing.  

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

at home, or in my normal surroundings, i am very diligent.  however, put me in a situation where i am distracted and chatting away and all bets are off :)

Kiddo...this could very well happen to any of us. I have been known to become distracted by something like the cat or some good lookin cabana boy walks by and forget I am in the mid..........

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

ha ha - exactly!

don't worry, i'm not beating myself up too much about this.  mostly just laughing at myself and thinking that i was probably not alone :)

oh, and i love that you are calling me kiddo - haven't been called that in many years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: