41 replies to this topic

#1 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

I know I am supposed to watch Lactose. I have never been a lactose intolerant person, well maby I was and didn't know it. I have a few questions tho. When I went on vaca I had a gluten free Pizza, didn't even think Lactose. It didn't seem to bother me. I eat mashed potatoes and baked potatoes with butter and it doesn't seem to bother me. When I ate Gluten free Mac and cheese it hit me like a rock. Felt like I was Glutened. Well I assumed it was the Lactose in the Mac and Cheese. So my question to everyone is. Is butter on that Lactose list? I went to dinner last night and got a baked potato , of course I got butter. Then it dawned on me I shouldn't eat butter, or could I? I didn't wantto take the chance so I brought it home. I just had salad, no cheese or croutons, and A steak .. 

So is butter Lactose free? Or should I switch to Margarine.. I hate margarine! but will switch if need be :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

I think it's based on how much you can tolerate.  I have a milk allergy (for years).  Depending on the season (pollen counts are low), I can have a little butter, even in baked goods (small amount dispersed throughout).  But I can't eat cheese or drink milk.  There's a lot less milk protein in butter and I'm assuming it's the same for lactose.  

You must be healing.  That's good.  Just stay away from the concentrated cheese from a box of Mac and Cheese.  

Good luck!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

I couldn't handle butter.  Coconut oil would be a healthier sub in my opinion.  I use coconut oil or olive oil.  Coconut oil is also very yummy.

D

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

If you are eating out, i would place the blame on cc rather than the dairy.

Likewise, if you made the mac and cheese, it could be that you couldn't tolerate the pasta.

#5 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

I do have some Coconut oil. Hmmm maby I will give that potato on steroids (Huge) to hubbs and I will make one with Coconut oil. When I go out I will not get butter anymore. I will have it plain. Thanks for your replies .... Being new to this it is just so hard , every time I think I am lactose and Gluten free I find I am eating something with it in it!! Maby small amounts but still!! Lactose free to me means just that FREE, As does Gluten free means . FREE but they seem to slip stuff in on me!! LOL my own fault, but still it happens. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

If you are eating out, i would place the blame on cc rather than the dairy.

Likewise, if you made the mac and cheese, it could be that you couldn't tolerate the pasta.

I didn't get sick eating out. It was just a question on the butter, so I don't get sick in the future. The Mac and cheese I made was the rice noodles  I have had them before, but not with the cheese sauce. And they didn't seem to bother me. I am thinking it is the cheese, but will keep in in mind next time I have those noodles. If I have them .. Kinda getting afraid to eat anything any more. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

My other question is powdered milk. I made a powdered cream of mushroom soup I will look up the recipe , the two main ingredients is powdered milk and corn starch. I started making it b4 I went Gluten free, trying to cut back on salt due to high blood pressure , Hubbs loves his noodles and cream of mush soup. I would have some but not to many. Only because it is easier than cooking separate for me. So in order to go less salt I found a recipe for cream of mushroom soup to make with powdered milk and corn starch ... I was going to make it the other day and stopped myself because of the powdered milk... 

So my question is Does Powdered Milk have Lactose in it? Thanks you for all you responses :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#8 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Is there powdered soy milk?

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hard cheeses and butter have casein, but no lactose. The mac and cheese sauce most likely had milk in it. I was still having lingering problems so I gave up things with milk in them - ice cream and yogurt to be specific. I still eat butter with no problem.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hard cheeses and butter have casein, but no lactose. The mac and cheese sauce most likely had milk in it. I was still having lingering problems so I gave up things with milk in them - ice cream and yogurt to be specific. I still eat butter with no problem.

TY :) will keep that in mind also .... I just have so many questions. After that bad bout.  So hard cheeses are ok :) Yay!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#11 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

What you might want to do is to do a challenge with them. So, say, take a piece of hard cheese and try it by itself. Likewise, I would try a little butter on rice or something. The same goes for regular milk. That would be the easiest way to find your answer.

As for the rice noodles, I do not handle them well. I can do plain rice just fine, its just when they are in the noodle form that it gets me.

Yet another thought is that it may just be too rich for your system. I dropped adding butter at all in my cheese sauce recipe because my stomach couldn't handle it well. This really isn't a surprise in my case, as rich foods and i do not get along.

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

you may want to try a food journal.  it always helps me figure out the "culprit"  :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Most butters DO contain lactose.  The only form my sister with severe lactose intolerance can have is ghee.  She gets very sick from just trace amounts in regular butter.  Some European cultured butters have less if I recall correctly.  I must look that one up.  Many hard aged cheeses contain trace amounts, too.  Will find the source for that, too.

http://www.drugs.com...-free-diet.html

http://www.livestron...se-intolerance/

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

I could have SWORN I read here that if a person has lactose intolerance they can safely eat butter and hard cheeses. :unsure:

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

I did a search and found this thread on cheese: http://www.celiac.co...ose#entry860596

Haven't found the butter one yet, but at least I know I'm only HALF crazy. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: