Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Butter?

42 posts in this topic

I know I am supposed to watch Lactose. I have never been a lactose intolerant person, well maby I was and didn't know it. I have a few questions tho. When I went on vaca I had a gluten free Pizza, didn't even think Lactose. It didn't seem to bother me. I eat mashed potatoes and baked potatoes with butter and it doesn't seem to bother me. When I ate Gluten free Mac and cheese it hit me like a rock. Felt like I was Glutened. Well I assumed it was the Lactose in the Mac and Cheese. So my question to everyone is. Is butter on that Lactose list? I went to dinner last night and got a baked potato , of course I got butter. Then it dawned on me I shouldn't eat butter, or could I? I didn't wantto take the chance so I brought it home. I just had salad, no cheese or croutons, and A steak .. 

So is butter Lactose free? Or should I switch to Margarine.. I hate margarine! but will switch if need be :) 

Ads by Google:

I think it's based on how much you can tolerate.  I have a milk allergy (for years).  Depending on the season (pollen counts are low), I can have a little butter, even in baked goods (small amount dispersed throughout).  But I can't eat cheese or drink milk.  There's a lot less milk protein in butter and I'm assuming it's the same for lactose.  

You must be healing.  That's good.  Just stay away from the concentrated cheese from a box of Mac and Cheese.  

Good luck!

I couldn't handle butter.  Coconut oil would be a healthier sub in my opinion.  I use coconut oil or olive oil.  Coconut oil is also very yummy.

D

If you are eating out, i would place the blame on cc rather than the dairy.

Likewise, if you made the mac and cheese, it could be that you couldn't tolerate the pasta.

I do have some Coconut oil. Hmmm maby I will give that potato on steroids (Huge) to hubbs and I will make one with Coconut oil. When I go out I will not get butter anymore. I will have it plain. Thanks for your replies .... Being new to this it is just so hard , every time I think I am lactose and Gluten free I find I am eating something with it in it!! Maby small amounts but still!! Lactose free to me means just that FREE, As does Gluten free means . FREE but they seem to slip stuff in on me!! LOL my own fault, but still it happens. 

If you are eating out, i would place the blame on cc rather than the dairy.

Likewise, if you made the mac and cheese, it could be that you couldn't tolerate the pasta.

I didn't get sick eating out. It was just a question on the butter, so I don't get sick in the future. The Mac and cheese I made was the rice noodles  I have had them before, but not with the cheese sauce. And they didn't seem to bother me. I am thinking it is the cheese, but will keep in in mind next time I have those noodles. If I have them .. Kinda getting afraid to eat anything any more. 

My other question is powdered milk. I made a powdered cream of mushroom soup I will look up the recipe , the two main ingredients is powdered milk and corn starch. I started making it b4 I went Gluten free, trying to cut back on salt due to high blood pressure , Hubbs loves his noodles and cream of mush soup. I would have some but not to many. Only because it is easier than cooking separate for me. So in order to go less salt I found a recipe for cream of mushroom soup to make with powdered milk and corn starch ... I was going to make it the other day and stopped myself because of the powdered milk... 

So my question is Does Powdered Milk have Lactose in it? Thanks you for all you responses :) 

Is there powdered soy milk?

Hard cheeses and butter have casein, but no lactose. The mac and cheese sauce most likely had milk in it. I was still having lingering problems so I gave up things with milk in them - ice cream and yogurt to be specific. I still eat butter with no problem.

Hard cheeses and butter have casein, but no lactose. The mac and cheese sauce most likely had milk in it. I was still having lingering problems so I gave up things with milk in them - ice cream and yogurt to be specific. I still eat butter with no problem.

TY :) will keep that in mind also .... I just have so many questions. After that bad bout.  So hard cheeses are ok :) Yay!! 

What you might want to do is to do a challenge with them. So, say, take a piece of hard cheese and try it by itself. Likewise, I would try a little butter on rice or something. The same goes for regular milk. That would be the easiest way to find your answer.

As for the rice noodles, I do not handle them well. I can do plain rice just fine, its just when they are in the noodle form that it gets me.

Yet another thought is that it may just be too rich for your system. I dropped adding butter at all in my cheese sauce recipe because my stomach couldn't handle it well. This really isn't a surprise in my case, as rich foods and i do not get along.

you may want to try a food journal.  it always helps me figure out the "culprit"  :)

Most butters DO contain lactose.  The only form my sister with severe lactose intolerance can have is ghee.  She gets very sick from just trace amounts in regular butter.  Some European cultured butters have less if I recall correctly.  I must look that one up.  Many hard aged cheeses contain trace amounts, too.  Will find the source for that, too.

http://www.drugs.com/cg/lactose-free-diet.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362137-butter-lactose-intolerance/

I could have SWORN I read here that if a person has lactose intolerance they can safely eat butter and hard cheeses. :unsure:

I did a search and found this thread on cheese: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/100751-a-cheesy-note-to-newbies-with-secondary-lactose-intolerance/?hl=%2Bbutter+%2Blactose#entry860596

Haven't found the butter one yet, but at least I know I'm only HALF crazy. :lol:

I did a search and found this thread on cheese: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/100751-a-cheesy-note-to-newbies-with-secondary-lactose-intolerance/?hl=%2Bbutter+%2Blactose#entry860596

Haven't found the butter one yet, but at least I know I'm only HALF crazy. :lol:

Only 1/4 crazy. :-D Anyway, some do have serious problems with butter. Thankfully I am not in that category!

We use Nutellex.

I can't speak for the lactose.  I may have a problem with it but I am pretty sure that I also have a casein problem.  So all dairy is out.

Just don't assume that margarine is dairy free.  Most is not.  Some are.  But not many.

Ok well I ate a potato with butter and I did fine.  I think I can handle butter. I have been eating cheese all along , usually hard cheeses so I think Hard cheeses are ok for me also Thanks everyone for all the responses :) 

I amy have spoke too soon.... ughhhhhggggg 

Butter will have traces of lactose in it. Like hard cheeses, it it not usually enough to cause a problem for those who are lactose intolerant. Both butter and hard cheese contain casein, so if that is your issue you need to avoid them. Clarified butter may be tolerated by those who are casein-intolerant--try it on an individual basis and make your own decision. Ghee is a form of clarified butter.

Bartful, 

I think I can tell you why butter and hard cheese are listed as safe, but people often say they react. 

From what I've read, it's pretty much the processing that gets you. If you make hard cheese yourself, for example, it's got little to no lactose. Yogurt and buttermilk are the same. The bacteria that helps make these eats up the lactose. However, American processing messes that up. Rather than let yogurt set while the bacteria eats all the lactose, this process is stopped early and thickeners are added (you can look now and most american yogurt will have pectin or gums added). Buttermilk often has things like citric acid to get the sour flavor rather than letting bacteria consume all the lactose. Hard cheese tends to have additives and such as well in a similar manner. I've even seen whole milk powder added as a thickener for some of these, which adds in MORE lactose to something that should be lactose free.

It's not as common in the UK, I understand. I don't know about Canada. And it didn't USED to be like that here a few decades ago. 

Best I can tell, the list of what is safe to eat with lactose intolerance applies if the food is made in a traditional way. But when purchasing dairy products, we need to examine a product's ingredient list and possibly even find out how it was processed to tell if that brand has little to no lactose.

Very very interesting. Well I did have a reaction the other day. I ate a baked potato with butter! But my daughter cooked some rice and put butter in it and I did not have a reaction. Maby there wasn't enuf butter in there to bother me? Or actually that potato was from the restaurant , maby it was cross contaminated? Ohhh well I may try the clarified butter. Thanks everyone!! Alot of info :) 

Very very interesting. Well I did have a reaction the other day. I ate a baked potato with butter! But my daughter cooked some rice and put butter in it and I did not have a reaction. Maby there wasn't enuf butter in there to bother me? Or actually that potato was from the restaurant , maby it was cross contaminated? Ohhh well I may try the clarified butter. Thanks everyone!! Alot of info :)

Restaurant potatoes might not be safe!  They sometimes coat them with butter or margarine when baking them and that butter or margarine could have had knives dipped into it or cut into it to spread on toast or something, thereby cross contaminating them.  One restaurant even says that their margarine is not gluten free.  Or if they serve the potato to you cut into, they could have used a cross contaminated knife.