41 replies to this topic

#16 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

I did a search and found this thread on cheese: http://www.celiac.co...ose#entry860596

Haven't found the butter one yet, but at least I know I'm only HALF crazy. :lol:

Only 1/4 crazy. :-D Anyway, some do have serious problems with butter. Thankfully I am not in that category!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

We use Nutellex.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#18 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:49 AM

I can't speak for the lactose.  I may have a problem with it but I am pretty sure that I also have a casein problem.  So all dairy is out.

Just don't assume that margarine is dairy free.  Most is not.  Some are.  But not many.

#19 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Ok well I ate a potato with butter and I did fine.  I think I can handle butter. I have been eating cheese all along , usually hard cheeses so I think Hard cheeses are ok for me also Thanks everyone for all the responses :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#20 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

I amy have spoke too soon.... ughhhhhggggg 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#21 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

I amy have spoke too soon.... ughhhhhggggg 

OH, No!

#22 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Butter will have traces of lactose in it. Like hard cheeses, it it not usually enough to cause a problem for those who are lactose intolerant. Both butter and hard cheese contain casein, so if that is your issue you need to avoid them. Clarified butter may be tolerated by those who are casein-intolerant--try it on an individual basis and make your own decision. Ghee is a form of clarified butter.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bartful, 

I think I can tell you why butter and hard cheese are listed as safe, but people often say they react. 

From what I've read, it's pretty much the processing that gets you. If you make hard cheese yourself, for example, it's got little to no lactose. Yogurt and buttermilk are the same. The bacteria that helps make these eats up the lactose. However, American processing messes that up. Rather than let yogurt set while the bacteria eats all the lactose, this process is stopped early and thickeners are added (you can look now and most american yogurt will have pectin or gums added). Buttermilk often has things like citric acid to get the sour flavor rather than letting bacteria consume all the lactose. Hard cheese tends to have additives and such as well in a similar manner. I've even seen whole milk powder added as a thickener for some of these, which adds in MORE lactose to something that should be lactose free.

It's not as common in the UK, I understand. I don't know about Canada. And it didn't USED to be like that here a few decades ago. 

Best I can tell, the list of what is safe to eat with lactose intolerance applies if the food is made in a traditional way. But when purchasing dairy products, we need to examine a product's ingredient list and possibly even find out how it was processed to tell if that brand has little to no lactose.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#24 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Very very interesting. Well I did have a reaction the other day. I ate a baked potato with butter! But my daughter cooked some rice and put butter in it and I did not have a reaction. Maby there wasn't enuf butter in there to bother me? Or actually that potato was from the restaurant , maby it was cross contaminated? Ohhh well I may try the clarified butter. Thanks everyone!! Alot of info :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#25 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

Very very interesting. Well I did have a reaction the other day. I ate a baked potato with butter! But my daughter cooked some rice and put butter in it and I did not have a reaction. Maby there wasn't enuf butter in there to bother me? Or actually that potato was from the restaurant , maby it was cross contaminated? Ohhh well I may try the clarified butter. Thanks everyone!! Alot of info :)

Restaurant potatoes might not be safe!  They sometimes coat them with butter or margarine when baking them and that butter or margarine could have had knives dipped into it or cut into it to spread on toast or something, thereby cross contaminating them.  One restaurant even says that their margarine is not gluten free.  Or if they serve the potato to you cut into, they could have used a cross contaminated knife.

#26 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

Restaurant potatoes might not be safe!  They sometimes coat them with butter or margarine when baking them and that butter or margarine could have had knives dipped into it or cut into it to spread on toast or something, thereby cross contaminating them.  One restaurant even says that their margarine is not gluten free.  Or if they serve the potato to you cut into, they could have used a cross contaminated knife.

It did seem to be coated in butter!! Yea I think your right!! It also seemed to have some flavor on the skin .. So I am thinking it was cross contaminated or soaked in something to give it a really great flavor!! :) Next time I will just eat the steak and salad ...They have great steaks there! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#27 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

I seem to be able to have very small amounts of butter without much trouble, but more than a teaspoon and I'm done for. Same with cheese.

Milk, yogurt, soft cheese, etc = no way.

Problems with dairy can sneak up on you out of the blue. Could be that you're developing an intolerance now. A dairy challenge to see what's ok and what's not might be a good idea.

As for butter substitute, margarine is no better. I use Earth Balance, which is a vegan butter substitute. It's kind of like margarine but not hydrogynated in the same way, and made from vegetable proteins. Personally I think it tastes a lot better than any margarine I've had, and even melt it for popcorn and everything (it's also the only butter-substitute I can get soy-free). If you find butter is off the menu, I'd recommend it.

Good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#28 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

I just had a thought!! I don't think it is butter that bothered me. I think I may have been glutened. I say this because Hubbs and I went out for our Anniversary and we went somewhere with seafood. I Had all you can eat Crab legs and they bring out a tub of butter!! Ohh yea !! I ate tons of butter!! I did not have a reaction. That was b4 the potato incident. Days b4 the potato incident.  I think the potato was cross contaminated from the other restaurant. That is the only thing "now" I can think of. Because my Daughter cooked with butter and I had no prob. I went and ate sea food and no problem (lots of butter) so The potato must of been cross contaminated .....Well then!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#29 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

I just had a thought!! I don't think it is butter that bothered me. I think I may have been glutened. I say this because Hubbs and I went out for our Anniversary and we went somewhere with seafood. I Had all you can eat Crab legs and they bring out a tub of butter!! Ohh yea !! I ate tons of butter!! I did not have a reaction. That was b4 the potato incident. Days b4 the potato incident.  I think the potato was cross contaminated from the other restaurant. That is the only thing "now" I can think of. Because my Daughter cooked with butter and I had no prob. I went and ate sea food and no problem (lots of butter) so The potato must of been cross contaminated .....Well then!! 

that probably was it then :)

#30 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hmm, best way to find out is to have butter in a controlled home environment and see how you do (any excuse to eat a spoonful of butter is not a bad thing). If you're ok, and you've never had problems other than that potato, then you were probably CCd. Which sucks, but better than giving up butter.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: