8 replies to this topic

#1 lucky28

lucky28

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Has anyone taken steroids for either ongoing symptoms or for a glutening episode? If so, how long where you on them and how much?

"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

I've taken steroids not directly for celiac disease but for conditions that could be related.

I was on Prednisone for about 6 months for a thymbocytopenia bleeding disorder a couple of decades ago. Can't remember the doseage.

i currently take cortef and florinef for adrenal/energy/hormone issues and for low (postural) blood pressure. Cortef is 20MG and florinef is 0.1MG. I have no idea how long I'll be on it, but it's been a couple of months now.... And gotta say, i feel pretty good on it.  :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Nicole, I actually have 2 problems going on. I have been diagnosed celiac and gluten-free for 2 years. Over the last 3 months or so my stomach has gotten as bad as before diagnosis. D 5+times a day, almost late for work because of it, exhaustion etc. I just made an appt to see my gastro again, to ask for a follow up biopsy. I have been really careful about my diet and cc so it's not that. In addition, just last night I got my first "real" glutening(obvious glutening) It was a really stupid mistake, I picked up the wrong drink and ended up gulping a large swig of regular beer! I'm feeling awful today, stomach pains, nausea, severe exhaustion... I was on prednisolone for an allergic reaction and my dr friend told me that it had the added benefit of helping my celiac reaction because it suppresses immune response. I still have a refill left on the prescription so I was thinking about filling it and taking it for a week to help this glutening ( today is day one of my only vacation this year, I don't want to be doubled over the whole time!). Any thoughts?

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I don't know... i know steroid use shouldn't be done lightly, and that most need to taper off when they are done.

Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows more than I do.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

My GI doc had me start budesonide 3mg I take 3 pills each morning for 1 month, 2nd month 2 pills each morning, then 3rd month 1 pill each morning. After 3rd month I am done.   It has stopped my chronic diarrhea.   The reason I am on this is because I had chronic diarrhea since April and nothing helped.  Thank God my bowels are almost back to normal now.  

Have a Bless Day!  :)

Denise

#6 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Denise, thank you, good to know there may be light at the end of this tunnel! I know that I'll get over this acute glutening but it's good to hear there may be help for the constant issues too!

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#7 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Denise, thank you, good to know there may be light at the end of this tunnel! I know that I'll get over this acute glutening but it's good to hear there may be help for the constant issues too!

I am not saying steroid is your answer, I advised to check with your doc before starting on them,  like nvsmom stated you need to taper off of them when you take steroids.  I was on prednisone which was  a pretty strong steroid from my understanding (but I could be wrong) and it did nothing for me.  This new med is still a steroid but doc said a low one.  I don't know much about meds but all I know is after 5 straight months of chronic "D" (15-20 times day) this new med is working, FINALLY!  But I strongly suggests checking with your doc before going on them again.   

Denise

#8 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

Oh, I definitely will! I already have an appt with my gastro! I just feel so crummy today, I was wracking my (foggy) brain for a quick fix. I think I'm just gonna cancel my plans for this week and hang out at home to recover. I'll take a vaca next year! Luckily I was only staying with relatives so no reservations to cancel!

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#9 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Oh, I definitely will! I already have an appt with my gastro! I just feel so crummy today, I was wracking my (foggy) brain for a quick fix. I think I'm just gonna cancel my plans for this week and hang out at home to recover. I'll take a vaca next year! Luckily I was only staying with relatives so no reservations to cancel!

Sometimes pepto bismol helps me.  Hope you feel better soon!

Denise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: