This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need Help Finding Safe Brands

bisja

bisja Apprentice

Hi everyone well I have been gluten free now for over three years. I can not eat what many others can. Chex Glutino pretzels etc. etc. etc. now whether it is the amount of gluten or preservatives I have no idea, I also eat no dairy. I have decided it is time for me to start baking and making as much of my things as possible.

What I would like to know and get your thoughts on are, what flours have you all used that you had no reactions to from cross contamination? Rice flours, potato flours etc. What brand did you buy where did you buy it at etc. I live in a small community so I may have to order online, or drive about 85 miles to a bigger town, which is ok.  I just need to know brands that people seem to have good luck with eating, also am looking for good bread and muffin recipes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

This post might help you: Open Original Shared Link

She says that Glutino tests to make sure that their products test to under 20 ppm.  That doesn't mean that they contain that amount of gluten.  They could contain none, but they could contain under that amount.  Some of the other companies test to lower levels.  To start, I would try some of those products to see if you can tolerate them.  If not, then you may have problems with flours as well from companies like that.  An option is to buy whole grains, sort them to remove any grains that don't belong, and grind them into flour yourself.  You could also wash them to remove any possible residue that might be present from any contaminating grains that you might find.

Another option is to stick with produce, unprocessed meats and rice.  Maybe small amounts of baked goods from companies that test to 5 ppm would work out.  I hope you find some good options.

kareng Grand Master

This post might help you: https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/103927-need-help-finding-safe-brands/

She says that Glutino tests to make sure that their products test to under 20 ppm.  That doesn't mean that they contain that amount of gluten.  They could contain none, but they could contain under that amount.  Some of the other companies test to lower levels.  To start, I would try some of those products to see if you can tolerate them.  If not, then you may have problems with flours as well from companies like that.  An option is to buy whole grains, sort them to remove any grains that don't belong, and grind them into flour yourself.  You could also wash them to remove any possible residue that might be present from any contaminating grains that you might find.

Another option is to stick with produce, unprocessed meats and rice.  Maybe small amounts of baked goods from companies that test to 5 ppm would work out.  I hope you find some good options.

Hey, Steph! I think your link didn't work? :)

kenlove Rising Star

if your bigger town has an Indian community, they use  chickpea flour called channa bessan and  split pea flour  Dal. These have never given me any problems. Sometimes you can find millet flour too.  Google Bobs Redmill to see the gluten free flours they have too. -- I can't do dairy either and use coconut milk or almond milk. Good luck

Hi everyone well I have been gluten free now for over three years. I can not eat what many others can. Chex Glutino pretzels etc. etc. etc. now whether it is the amount of gluten or preservatives I have no idea, I also eat no dairy. I have decided it is time for me to start baking and making as much of my things as possible.

What I would like to know and get your thoughts on are, what flours have you all used that you had no reactions to from cross contamination? Rice flours, potato flours etc. What brand did you buy where did you buy it at etc. I live in a small community so I may have to order online, or drive about 85 miles to a bigger town, which is ok.  I just need to know brands that people seem to have good luck with eating, also am looking for good bread and muffin recipes.

IrishHeart Veteran

What I would like to know and get your thoughts on are, what flours have you all used that you had no reactions to from cross contamination? Rice flours, potato flours etc. What brand did you buy where did you buy it at etc. I live in a small community so I may have to order online

Like Ken, I am a big fan of coconut milk. 

I get many things from nuts.com. 

Never had a single problem from anything that comes from their G F section.

for oats, I use 

Open Original Shared Link

Also, my friend who owns a G F bakery sources her  starches and flours from Thailand. No problems.

Thanks Kareng!  I fixed it.

answerseeker Enthusiast

I cannot eat processed gluten free products either. For some reason Glutino is the worst for me even though they are safe. Must be something in it. Anyway I can tolerate Pamela's mixes and Enjoy Life cookies. Once in a while I make a pizza with Pamela's and don't have any problems with it. It is listed as less than 5ppm so it is on the lower side.

I think Pamela's has a muffin mix too

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

You could also try just eating less of the processed item.  The ppm is a concentration, and when they talk about amount that initiates a gluten reaction, they talk about amount per day.  It is thought to be dose dependent.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Oh good to know. I was having some issues the other day. I ate a gluten-free cereal bar, 2 gluten-free cookies with my tea, and a gluten-free bun with my bratwurst for dinner lol. No wonder

bisja Apprentice

Thanks all, does anyone use a certain brand of rice flour or potato flour  ?

IrishHeart Veteran

As I mentioned, I use nuts.com  Gluten free flours 

I have also used Bob's Red Mill and Authentic Foods flours without a problem.

bisja Apprentice

As I mentioned, I use nuts.com  Gluten free flours 

I have also used Bob's Red Mill and Authentic Foods flours without a problem.

For some reason I can not connect to this site, I am getting a "failure to connect"  I am having no problems with any other site so maybe  they are having problems.

IrishHeart Veteran

For some reason I can not connect to this site, I am getting a "failure to connect"  I am having no problems with any other site so maybe  they are having problems.

hmmmm.. :unsure:  I do not know why, hon.,...I just clicked on it and it connected just fine.

Maybe something with your computer?

try typing in  www.nuts.com?

kareng Grand Master

The links Works for me

bisja Apprentice

wow its letting me in now (nuts.com)  thank you what a great variety!  Am going to give some a try and try my hand at baking gluten-free.

IrishHeart Veteran

wow its letting me in now (nuts.com)  thank you what a great variety!  Am going to give some a try and try my hand at baking gluten-free.

The shipping is a bit steep, but they send you a free treat, and it arrives super fast. I can honestly say I have never had a bad thing from them.

They take G F seriously and everything is super-fresh. My hubs loves the dates. I get the coconut flakes, too.

One whole shelf in my pantry is nuts, seeds, coconut, cacao powder and dried fruits from them and another is flours, starches, etc.. 

Good luck with baking!

Irish mentioned Bobs, so I'll mention that I think that I have problems with them, and I think it is because I am sensitive to oats.  Last I knew, they process their gluten-free oats in the facility with the other gluten-free stuff.

bisja Apprentice

Thanks dilettantesteph  its good to get all opinions, I know each of us handle things differently.

Archived