• Please log in to reply

33 replies to this topic

#1 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

So... being new to this and all.. I have a lot of awkward explanations happening. I don't want to tell every Tom, Dick and Harry about my Celiacs diagnosis and symptoms. How do you politely decline food or a social invite when you normally would have said yes pre-diagnosis?

I had an acquantaince at work tell me to grab a  croissant because we had an early morning meeting and I had to say sorry I have a food allergy. Then she continues to ask me more about it and what she could get next time and I say no pastries - just fruit!

I think I handled that one pretty good but how do you all handle this social aspect of Celiacs?

thanks!

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

If I really don't want to go into anything, I just say "no thank you" and that is all. You don't have to explain, and if pressed, I would say "no thank you", followed by "really, I would not like any." I expect adults to respect another person's choices, whether they understand or not. Heck, I expect my three year old to do this.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

I normally say "no thank you".

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

If I really don't want to go into anything, I just say "no thank you" and that is all. You don't have to explain, and if pressed, I would say "no thank you", followed by "really, I would not like any." I expect adults to respect another person's choices, whether they understand or not. Heck, I expect my three year old to do this.

I normally say "no thank you".

They beat me to it!  most people don't need to know more than that.  You were on a very strict low calorie diet before Celiac - what did you say then? 

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

I told them I am training and eating for a fitness competition. I could say the same thing now as that hasn't changed but I thought I'd see how others have been handling it. Because I had treat days or high carb days in my regimine where I would and could indulge in more calories.

I have been accused by family and friends of having body dysmorphia or being anorexic too because of my lifestyle choice and that is hurtful. I know it is only going to get worse as I won't be able to socially eat at family gatherings when CC is happening everywhere.

Jamie

• HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

#6 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

I told them I am training and eating for a fitness competition. I could say the same thing now as that hasn't changed but I thought I'd see how others have been handling it. Because I had treat days or high carb days in my regimine where I would and could indulge in more calories.

I have been accused by family and friends of having body dysmorphia or being anorexic too because of my lifestyle choice and that is hurtful. I know it is only going to get worse as I won't be able to socially eat at family gatherings when CC is happening everywhere.

For casual people the "no thank you" "I already ate" "I'm in training"  should work.  Your closer friends and family you will need to explain a bit more.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

For close friends and family who know you've been diagnosed with celiac, you can tell them it's too easy to be CC'ed and you had to promise yourself you wouldn't eat anything you didn't prepare yourself. When they get that hurt look, just say,"It's not that I don't trust YOU to cook for me, but a couple of people with good intentions CC'ed me before, so now I have just made that my general rule."

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

For close friends and family who know you've been diagnosed with celiac, you can tell them it's too easy to be CC'ed and you had to promise yourself you wouldn't eat anything you didn't prepare yourself. When they get that hurt look, just say,"It's not that I don't trust YOU to cook for me, but a couple of people with good intentions CC'ed me before, so now I have just made that my general rule."

Thank you Bartful, that is very helpful and what I'll do. :)

Jamie

• HLA-DQ2 positive

#9 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

I have never had "No thank you" lead to anything or bring more questions. Share with who you want, no thank you the rest. 

#10 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

You handled it well.  Go online and check out the "go picnic" pre packaged gluten free meals.  They are about 400 calories give or take and are perfect in a pinch.  I was out motorcycling yesterday and took one with me to munch on for lunch.  They are really tasty and usually contain some type of gluten-free chip/cracker and spread, a mixed nut/dried fruit pack, a dessert bite, and its pretty tasty.  I take them if we are having a work function in a restaurant that I don't trust.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#11 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

I just replied to a different thread but somehow it entered itself on this one. Sorry. Carry on...

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

i say "aaahhhhh!" and back away in horror ;)  because it's fun!

like eers says, i bring my own stuff - so i say, nah, thanx, i brought my own :)  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#13 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

I dunno, maybe I'm weird or something, but I don't hesitate to tell anyone why I can't eat their food.  I'll say, "No thanks, unfortunately that type of food will make me sick."  Of course it leads into other questions, but I'm not embarrassed or ashamed (I'm not suggesting that the OP or any of us are) and frankly I take every opportunity to educate someone on Celiac.  If my two minute conversation could potentially help someone recognize their own symptoms (or the symptoms of a loved one) and get them help, then its all worth it for me.  This is a very misunderstood disease and diet and I feel satisfied when I can correct information.  Its all about confidence.  If you explain Celiac with confidence, my experience has been that people listen better and accept what you're saying - the conversation also doesn't turn into a pity session or "oh my god I feel so bad for you."  Yes I have Celiac, no, I cannot eat your food, and we can move on with the conversation....it also prevents the same food offerings at future events with these people.

All that being said, I'm not suggesting that everyone should go out with their "I'm a Celiac" t-shirt on and start preaching on street corners.  It's all about your comfort level and if you even feel like explaining it that day (there are some days where I'm either tired or annoyed and I just decline food without saying anything else).  I just wanted to share because I've never had a negative reaction for sharing why I couldn't eat someone's food - in fact it only led to more understanding on their part.    

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#14 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

I would just say that I was on a special diet from my Dr.  People will ask for further information and then if you tell them more, they'll look away or roll their eyes and it will become clear that they really don't want to know any more.  If they ask for more, tell them that it's complicated and you'll provide your own food.

#15 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

We really overthink this issue a lot. I could care less what others eat and I am sure they feel the same about what I eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: