18 replies to this topic

#16 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

@1deparateladysaved  This is a very interesting #homeschooling thread.   I'm a former teacher #motivational prodigy who used to  support  parents who were home-schooling their children. This  was back in the 1990's when it was not widely practiced or accepted mainly because of the @mommida socialization issues.  This particular family I really became attached to....but lost touch when I started my own family.  Some years later i drove by their house and found a FOR SALE sign out front. Needless to say....I purchased the house because of the fond memories of them. Retired from teaching I now have a tutoring service in the same building.   @nvsmon  Singapore Math will definitely give students a competitive edge @luvs2eat you are right ,Scrabble the game that increases word attack and word recognition skills has taken a back seat to #computer & #mobile apps. 

I always found that teachers were always the most supportive of our homeschooling.  They were great when our extended family didn't quite see it our way.  My mother-in-law learned to enjoy it when she came to help daily for a few months years ago.  I am glad we stuck with it.  I enjoyed being the teacher and mother and watching my children closely as they grew up.  Now, the eldest are out performing me in their college pursuits.  The youngest (adopted from Ethiopia when 6 and 8) have changed languages and excelled or matched their peers!  They are enjoying it besides.

D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Just started homeschooling my oldest son this year. We're using Time4learning for math and language arts and so far he seems to enjoy it.  Having a hard finding a science curriculum we like. Does anyone have one to recommend for a 5th grader?

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

We are enjoying Apologia Science.  We have used high school biology and Physics.  One son passed a clep test using only the Apologia science book to study for it. 

This year I am trying and enjoying the science books for elementary age children.  We are studying the human body and I am really enjoying that.  They have other science books for elementary age which I have heard well spoken of, but have almost no personal experience.  Are you in a home school group, or do you know of a curriculum fair where you could view science books?  Other than that it is possible to buy them used over the internet.

I hope you will enjoy watching your boy learn!

D

#19 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Apologia? I will have to check that out. Thanks!

I am finding there is a very active homeschooling community here and a local co-op forming. Very exciting! 

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: