15 replies to this topic

#1 eers03

eers03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

Someone asked me that at church the other day.  I'm Celiac.  I was so ticked at the comment that I had to "Bro" the guy up...  My response...  "Bro, I will be on this diet the rest of my life.  What I have, doesn't just go away.  My diet is not a 90 day script from a nurse practitioner at a doc in the box clinic."  

Anyway, I know I'm not the first to experience this.  It didn't ruin my day.  I don't feel like a victim.  It just blows my mind that even when you explain this to someone, you may as well speak a foreign language to them and it would be as effective.

Diagnosis 11/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

"My disease can't be cured, but there ARE cures for ignorance and rudeness. Why don't you look into them?" That would be my reply to this jerk. :angry:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

"My disease can't be cured, but there ARE cures for ignorance and rudeness. Why don't you look into them?" That would be my reply to this jerk. :angry:

That is legit!!!!

Diagnosis 11/2012

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Anyway, I know I'm not the first to experience this.  It didn't ruin my day.  I don't feel like a victim.  It just blows my mind that even when you explain this to someone, you may as well speak a foreign language to them and it would be as effective.

i know it - if their aunt sadie never had it, they don't even pay attention.  even if aunt sadie had it, she didn't follow the diet, so they think "aunt sadie was never that careful - once she felt better, she ate cake!"  and they think it's overkill.  right - it doesn't ruin your day.   lolz - 'bro him up' - i will pay attention next time someone 'bro's" ;)  i sing the for ever song:  "i will be on this diet for ever and ever and ever and ever (deep breath) and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever (another deep breath) and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever <continues on.  you get my point.  they usually run away after that.  hey, barty, write me some tabs lolz  :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Verse:

G

I'll be on this diet forever and ever and

D

ever and ever and

G

ever and ever. I'll be on this diet forever and ever for

C

ever so

D

what's it to

G

you?

Chorus:

C

I have a disease that can

Em

never be cured but I

Am

handle it

D

well with my

G       G7

diet        it's

Am

none of your

B7

business so

Em

don't say a word

A7

I might slap your face if you

D       D7

try it

Repeat verse

OK, so it's not tabs, but if you use these chords I'll bet you come up with the same melody I did. :lol:

#6 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

i *love* it :D  and better than tabs b/c i am still a beginner (ben nichols makes it look soooo easy...! )   <_<

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

OK, that's TWO reasons you should come to the Black Hills. I'll give you a guitar lesson, and I'll take you to Lintz Brothers for a REALLY good gluten-free pizza. If you need a third reason, it's the scenery. Come on out!

#8 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

LOL 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#9 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

somewhere in the black mining hills out in dakota there lived a young boy named rocky raccoon - and one day, his woman ran off with another guy, hit young rocky in the eye, rocky didn't like that he said "i'm gonna get that boy"..........

lolz - i have a friend who lives in rc; she loves it - one of my 7m3 buddies :)  haven't seen her in ages; probably since the record release weekend in orlando......

YES!  i would *love* a really good pizza - loves me some 'za - my friend is a foodie, too, i guess she lives in the right place!

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#10 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

We have some real talent in this forum!  If its not clever wit, its music composition or sometimes both!  

Diagnosis 11/2012

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

:D :lol: 

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#12 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

If it makes you feel any better, when I mentioned not eating gluten once, I had a nurse tell me, "Oh, I am so sick of hearing about that fad diet."  I had to respond, "I have Celiac Disease and this is not a fad diet to me."  You would think a nurse would understand a little better than the general public.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#13 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

If it makes you feel any better, when I mentioned not eating gluten once, I had a nurse tell me, "Oh, I am so sick of hearing about that fad diet."  I had to respond, "I have Celiac Disease and this is not a fad diet to me."  You would think a nurse would understand a little better than the general public.

i had a nurse practitioner roll her eyes at me when i said my lip gloss had to be gluten free.  then she said "you don't EAT it, do you?"  i said "sometimes.   when i'm reallllll hungry..."  and stared her straight in the face.  she didn't say anything after that............... <_<

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#14 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Bro, some people...

A few weeks ago I was at a new place that had a nice little menu, mostly gluten-free, though there was soy in stuff. I asked about it, saying I was gluten-free and couldn't eat soy. The server (and possibly owner, I think), did know what I could/couldn't have (and even said they could take out any soy for me), but asked: "Oh, are you on a cleanse?" Me: "ahhh, a life-long cleanse, I guess". she: "I bet you have great skin now". Me: "Um, I suppose it might have gotten better..."

The food was great, no problems with it at all, but MAN! I think that's the worst "this is totally a fad diet and great for your complexion" kind of reaction I've gotten from someone.
They did have good gluten-free beer on the menu, so I'll likely be back

for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever amen.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#15 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

After reading the song earlier in the post I keep getting Taylor Swift's We are Never Ever Getting Back Together running through my head but with new words:

We will forever, ever be on this diet... 

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: