Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ruffles Say Gluten Free?

9 posts in this topic

Going to call Ruffles tomorrow but my father-in-law is eating plain Ruffles potato chips and he showed me that they say gluten free. I was wondering if anyone has had them since they were deemed to be gluten free and tolerate them just fine? Would be nice to have something I use to eat from time to time. :)

Ads by Google:

This is what i found:

http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/us-products-not-containing-gluten-ingredients.html

Please note however, some of the products listed below may be manufactured on the same lines as products that contain gluten.  Although our lines are cleaned between production runs, Frito-Lay has not tested these products for gluten content and the ingredients in these products may have come into contact with gluten-containing products prior to manufacturing.  Individuals who are sensitive to gluten should take these factors into consideration in consuming these products.

But that is for the second group of " no gluten ingredient" products. The ones they label gluten-free, including the Ruffles, say:

"Some people suffer from an intolerance to foods containing gluten, which is a type of protein found in wheat, rye and barley. Frito-Lay has validated through analytical testing that the following products contain less than 20 ppm of gluten.

Please note: The information provided pertains only to products distributed in the U.S. Products sold in other countries under similar brands may be made using slightly different recipes and ingredients to accommodate local needs and preferences."

The gluten-free ones are tested with a 20 ppm or less test. That does not mean they have 19 ppm. They could have none. I eat Ruffles and Fritos and Santitos and Tostitos and have never had any issues except my hips and thighs.

There are two lists at the link Shadow provided. The first one is the gluten-free list, and it includes 4 Ruffles products, including Ruffles Original.

The disclaimer Shadow quoted refers to the second list ("listed below") of products which do not contain any intentionally added gluten, but for which no assurance is offered. There are 18 Ruffles varieties in the second list. So check carefully, but if it says "gluten-free" on the package I would not be concerned at all.

Edited by psawyer
Karen posted while I was typing.

Seraphim, I think I recall you saying you have a problem with corn? Ruffles are cooked in corn oil. I use to love them, and the regular Lay's. They were my chip of choice because you hardly ever find a burnt one in the bag. But alas, my corn intolerance forced me to give them up.

Because the gluten free and no gluten ingredient Frito Lay products are all run on the same lines and the difference is on that some are tested, some aren't, I eat whichever ones I want. I'm quite confident that they adhere to the same manufacturing processes no matter what they are running. I have never gotten sick from a Frito Lay product no matter if I am eating one marked gluten free, meaning it is tested, or if I am simply eating one without gluten ingredients. Mind, I don't eat junk particularly often.

Thanks everyone :) I will double check with them tomorrow :) Sounds like they should be ok though. My hubby especially will be thankful if he can have them from time to time :)

bartfull..nope..worried about salicylates but can eat from the high category multiple times a day. I haven't tried corn products in about a year now :)

On the other hand, I got sick whenever I ate plain Lays or Fritos, so I crossed all Frito-Lay products off my list. This was 9 years ago, and they might have improved cross-contamination control, but I'm still going to avoid them. Sorry if this is a duplicate - my computer is acting strangely.

I've never had a problem with Lays or Ruffles.  In fact, I was eating Ruffles last night with no problems. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• It sounds like you're doing great. That's amazing that your anxiety has decreased like that. You're obviously doing something really good for your health. With the other things I'm sure they will get better in time. After I gave up gluten I had a bad year but overall it got better. Things like anxiety and insomnia massively improved over time with being gluten free. However, going Paleo (which you are on your way to with the no dairy too) really helped my anxiety, as did running and self-taught acupressure. In particular I found processed gluten free foods were awful for my mood. I know you have to find your own way but I really want to encourage you to see how you feel without that if you haven't already. I also can't afford therapy but when I did have it, that helped too but just being well, gives you the chance to sort your own thoughts and feelings out even without a therapist. Good luck
    • Thank you so much guys. Reading that last response and those from forum members who seemed to be mind-bogglingly sensitive to gluten at times helps me feel like less of a freak  Perhaps worse than the symptoms themselves was my fear that I'm the only person on earth who has gone through this and that if it continues, I will end up with all of my friends and family washing their hands of me because it would look to them like I'm the only one with this and so I must be crazy. It's really good to hear that the sensitivity can go down too. I've been holding onto this idea through the tough times, reminding myself that I also had really bad hayfever for a few years, and asthma at a different time and they both got better.  It has been a whole month since I had a bad reaction to gluten. It has also been two weeks since I even had a small reaction and I'm feeling SO much better. I'm still going to take every precaution I can but this feels worlds away from how it was. At my most risk averse, I had a day on holiday where I only ate bananas and avocados because I could eat them without them having been touched by human hands, even my own! (This was straight after getting sicker and sicker and hunting down what it was that made me ill. I found the refill bottles of soap in the house where I was staying and read that they had wheat in them - not an airborne reaction I imagine but when I washed my hands to prepare food it was probably contaminating my food. Plus because I didn't speak the language, I couldn't be sure the new soap I bought was gluten free.) Now, I am still avoiding environments with lots of gluten and staying clear of all grains, with the exception of rice which I reintroduced using the food challenge method as directed by my dietician (since I understand that rice is, according to Dr Fasano, the lowest risk of gluten contamination of all the grains) and I am building my weight back up. My husband has been able to see also that the last time he cooked gluten in the house was the last time I got ill. So it is reassuring for him to see that the sacrifice he is making is making such a difference to me. I also took the advice about new cooking utensils - thanks! I have my fingers crossed for me. I want this better health to continue but right now I'm happy to know that there is a break in the clouds and to know that I can feel like me again. Good luck to everyone, sensitive or not, who gets into a bad place with managing their reactions. Hang on in there!        
    • I'm not sure I just had the endoscopy, and I've had a  songram. 
    • Thanks and I'm seeing a doctor in three months may have to make it sooner.    Thanks for all the replies.
    • Hey guys so question. I still am going through some of the motions to finally be diagnosed. I has a really bad case of acid reflux a few days ago and now i feel soo sick. Im still eating gluten because i got a negative biaopsy test but ive been told thag i more than likely still have it because its really hard to detect. Well i drank beer last night and had a poutine today stupid i know and now i feel soooo sick. And only felt really sick after the poutine. Now my question is can your symptoms get worse all of a sudden??  I have many other symptoms thaat read celiac deisease for most of my life. But since all doctors told me you have anxiety ibs and fibro at 28 years old. I just baiscally gave up and figured this was going to be my life feeling like crap for the rest of my life. Any thoughts??? Thanks guys. Sorry for the novel lol
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    egs1707