8 replies to this topic

#1 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Going to call Ruffles tomorrow but my father-in-law is eating plain Ruffles potato chips and he showed me that they say gluten free. I was wondering if anyone has had them since they were deemed to be gluten free and tolerate them just fine? Would be nice to have something I use to eat from time to time. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

This is what i found:

http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

Please note however, some of the products listed below may be manufactured on the same lines as products that contain gluten.  Although our lines are cleaned between production runs, Frito-Lay has not tested these products for gluten content and the ingredients in these products may have come into contact with gluten-containing products prior to manufacturing.  Individuals who are sensitive to gluten should take these factors into consideration in consuming these products.

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

This is what i found:

http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

But that is for the second group of " no gluten ingredient" products. The ones they label gluten-free, including the Ruffles, say:

"Some people suffer from an intolerance to foods containing gluten, which is a type of protein found in wheat, rye and barley. Frito-Lay has validated through analytical testing that the following products contain less than 20 ppm of gluten.

Please note: The information provided pertains only to products distributed in the U.S. Products sold in other countries under similar brands may be made using slightly different recipes and ingredients to accommodate local needs and preferences."

The gluten-free ones are tested with a 20 ppm or less test. That does not mean they have 19 ppm. They could have none. I eat Ruffles and Fritos and Santitos and Tostitos and have never had any issues except my hips and thighs.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

There are two lists at the link Shadow provided. The first one is the gluten-free list, and it includes 4 Ruffles products, including Ruffles Original.

The disclaimer Shadow quoted refers to the second list ("listed below") of products which do not contain any intentionally added gluten, but for which no assurance is offered. There are 18 Ruffles varieties in the second list. So check carefully, but if it says "gluten-free" on the package I would not be concerned at all.

Edited by psawyer, 01 September 2013 - 11:23 AM.
Karen posted while I was typing.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Seraphim, I think I recall you saying you have a problem with corn? Ruffles are cooked in corn oil. I use to love them, and the regular Lay's. They were my chip of choice because you hardly ever find a burnt one in the bag. But alas, my corn intolerance forced me to give them up.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Because the gluten free and no gluten ingredient Frito Lay products are all run on the same lines and the difference is on that some are tested, some aren't, I eat whichever ones I want. I'm quite confident that they adhere to the same manufacturing processes no matter what they are running. I have never gotten sick from a Frito Lay product no matter if I am eating one marked gluten free, meaning it is tested, or if I am simply eating one without gluten ingredients. Mind, I don't eat junk particularly often.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone :) I will double check with them tomorrow :) Sounds like they should be ok though. My hubby especially will be thankful if he can have them from time to time :)

bartfull..nope..worried about salicylates but can eat from the high category multiple times a day. I haven't tried corn products in about a year now :)

#8 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

On the other hand, I got sick whenever I ate plain Lays or Fritos, so I crossed all Frito-Lay products off my list. This was 9 years ago, and they might have improved cross-contamination control, but I'm still going to avoid them. Sorry if this is a duplicate - my computer is acting strangely.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#9 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

I've never had a problem with Lays or Ruffles.  In fact, I was eating Ruffles last night with no problems. 

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: