Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Can I Find A Good Doctor In Colorado?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 rantipoles

rantipoles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hello. This is my first post on celiac.com. After having 10 years of digestive problems that were repeatedly misdiagnosed as either acid reflux or IBS, I had a basic blood test come back positive for celiac. The upper GI biopsies came back negative. Because of this, my doctor gave me a diagnosis of "mildly gluten-sensitive" and told me to just avoid gluten. The problem is, I suspect I'm having cross reactions with other foods (proteins that my body is mistaking for gluten) and have yet to feel much symptom relief under the gluten-free diet after a month. I recently switched jobs and lost my health insurance, but I will be looking to see what is available under Obamacare once the health care exchanges open in October.

As I compare options, I'd like to know if anyone knows of a good doctor who knows about gluten issues and celiac issues and is competent in treating individuals with this problem. My experience thus far dealing with both general practitioners and GI doctors has been frustrating. I understand that gluten problems are a relatively new and little understood area of medicine, but I am getting tired of paying $50 copays to doctors who seem to know even less than I do about celiac. I'd also really love to find a doctor who might be able to help me heal my gut enough to where I might eventually be able to eat some of the foods that I'm intolerant of right now (I know, gluten's out forever, but I really, really don't want to have to give up coffee for the rest of my life). If anyone knows a good doctor anywhere along the Colorado Front Range area, I'd really, really appreciate knowing about him or her. Thank you all.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

You might have a hard time finding a legit doctor that will help you with " cross- re activities" as that isn't really scientifically backed up at this point.

http://www.curecelia...ross-reactivity

It can take a year or more to get better from Celiac. You might want to cut dairy, if you haven't, as that is hard to digest with damaged villi. Maybe make sure you are really gluten-free for a few months and see how it goes. It is possible there are other health issues or even other foods you are intolerant to.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Where are you in Colorado? I had no idea I have celiac until I was diagnosed last October by a naturopath in Boulder. She is really great, has been gluten free herself for 20 years and deals with a lot of patients with celiac and gluten intolerance. She also works with an MD in the office, so if you needed prescriptions or something, they can take care of that too.

If you like, you can message me and I'll give you her contact info. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: