Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pregnancy

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I've consulted two OBGYNs who have told me that if I want to get pregnant I should start trying immediately. They said that the longer I wait (and in their words "the more chronic the condition becomes"), the greater the chance of problems.

However, I have read online that it is recommended to wait 6 months - 2 years to allow time for the stomach to heal before trying to get pregnant. I presume to allow for better nutrient absorption.

Anyone have any feedback?

I'm 37 so time is not on my side at this point! :)

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/given-that-celiac-disease-is-associated-with-infertility-what-can-a-woman-with-celiac-disease-do-to-help-her-get-pregnant

Given that celiac disease is associated with infertility, what can a woman with celiac disease do to help her get pregnant?

A strict gluten-free diet for a few months and a good multivitamin are all a woman with celiac disease needs to be sure there’s no interference with fertility.

Maybe just a few months gluten-free then try? If you feel better and any blood testing shows an improvement after 3 months, consider starting then. Unless you run into problems, 6 months is likely to be fine.

The outcomes for diagnosed celiacs are almost identical to non celiacs once they are on the gluten-free diet, and your chances of avoiding miscarriages are massively improved now you are diagnosed.

Start taking a good gluten-free multivitamin, and consider eating a good clean diet, mostly meat, dish, eggs, veg and fruit.

I had my lovelies at 39 and 37, and met lots of new moms of a similar age.

I wish you all the very best, ask lots of questions as you get used to the diet

Mw

I've only been dx and gluten-free for 8 months but suspect I've had celiac for years.

My son is now 12 but before I had him I was trying to conceive for nearly two years and getting very stressed and upset. Anyway, I assumed the problem was that I was overweight so I started a wholefood only diet...obviously cutting out bread, biscuits, pasta etc too and included lots of pumpkin seeds and nuts, salads, veggies and beans. Well about 3 months later I was pregnant! so unbeknown to me at the time, maybe the cutting out gluten is what did it. I don't actually know why I started eating crap again because I felt the healthiest I'd ever been at that point.. (I'm taking alot longer to heal this time).

Good luck ... :)

Edited...you beat me to it with the wholefoods CMW! ..grrr my slow typing lol !

I was mostly wheat free and Atkins when I conceived, which probably gave me just enough chance. (Pre diagnosis)

This is really helpful information. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. I am 28 and I think I have had celiac pretty much my whole life because the damage to my intestine was extensive. I never took the gluten free diet seriously but I am regretting it now that I want to get pregnant. I want to have my first child before 30. I am giving myself 3-4 months to let my body heal (hopefully it works).

I was hoping that some one can tell me if beside gluten should I be cutting out dairy products due to lactose intolerance secondary to celiac? I haven't experienced any lactose intolerance symptoms but can it cause similar damage to intestine as gluten does (if in case I do have it)? I do not want to take any chances at this time but I also am careful about not to cut out good source of some nutrition either. 

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

My functional medicine nurse told me her standard plan was to cut dairy, soy, and eggs for a few months while healing.  After that, you could try a normal amount (One serving) and wait four days to see if there is reaction.

Substitutes for milk:  nut milk, rice milk, coconut milk I suggest to find a recipe and make your own.

I found coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, other than that I do without it.

eggs?  I am not sure.  I am able to eat them.  They were one food I didn't have antibodies to in spite of eating them daily!

D

This is really helpful information. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. I am 28 and I think I have had celiac pretty much my whole life because the damage to my intestine was extensive. I never took the gluten free diet seriously but I am regretting it now that I want to get pregnant. I want to have my first child before 30. I am giving myself 3-4 months to let my body heal (hopefully it works).

I was hoping that some one can tell me if beside gluten should I be cutting out dairy products due to lactose intolerance secondary to celiac? I haven't experienced any lactose intolerance symptoms but can it cause similar damage to intestine as gluten does (if in case I do have it)? I do not want to take any chances at this time but I also am careful about not to cut out good source of some nutrition either. 

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Didn't cut out dairy. If you can digest it, don't worry about it. I don't drink milk but am more into the yogurt and hard cheeses which are lower lactose.

Thank you guys.

I don't think I have intolerance to dairy but I did't have severe symptoms from gluten either (just constipation, fatigue & poor sleep at times- but I thought it was due to low iron levels as I wasn't diagnosed at the time). So I can't help but worry about dairy either. I just don't want it to cause swelling in intestine and lead to poor absorption of nutrients causing all my hard work with the gluten free diet to go in vain. I will definitely try your suggestions.

I am also looking into getting injections for iron as my body is taking longer to absorb iron in tablet form. Any suggestion if injection is a good way to go?

Thanks

I would take a multivitamin with folic acid and give yourself some time to heal first. I've never heard of celiac disease getting worse on a gluten free diet. A few months gluten-free would go a long way health-wise.