No replies to this topic

#1 joelmw

joelmw

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

A coworker just returned from vacationing in Hawaii and brought back a box of Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Mountains to share. Since I miss out on most of the other treats in the office, I was eager to find out if these are gluten-free. The woman I ended up talking to at Hershey customer service walked me through the process of verifying that they are. Just wanted to pass that on, since I didn't find any clear statement online.  :)

I only know for sure that this particular Mauna Loa product--the Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Mountains--is gluten-free. I don't know either way on the others, though I suspect at least some are.

The rest of the story (with information that should help with other unlisted Hershey products): [This is "old news" to some of you, but thought it might be helpful to others (and wanted to show my source).]

1. Mauna Loa is a Hershey brand.
  2. In fact the Mauna Loa customer service number is the Hershey customer service number: 800-468-1714.
  3. As of today, none of the Mauna Loa products is on the Hershey gluten-free list (published elsewhere in these forums).
  4. As they say, not all of their gluten-free products are listed.
  5. The rep I spoke with told me that if an ingredient is sourced from a gluten-containing grain, according to Hershey policy, that grain will be listed with the ingredient.
  6. Also, if the production lines are subject to cross-contamination, the allergen will be listed--as tree nuts and peanuts are listed for this product.
  7. Since it is their policy to identify both gluten-containing grains and potential cross contamination and the ingredients for this product include neither, it's gluten-free.

Score.  :P  Of course, it's got other stuff I probably shouldn't be eating, but just one or two shouldn't kill me.  ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: