Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Mountains Gluten-Free

1 post in this topic

A coworker just returned from vacationing in Hawaii and brought back a box of Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Mountains to share. Since I miss out on most of the other treats in the office, I was eager to find out if these are gluten-free. The woman I ended up talking to at Hershey customer service walked me through the process of verifying that they are. Just wanted to pass that on, since I didn't find any clear statement online.  :)

I only know for sure that this particular Mauna Loa product--the Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Mountains--is gluten-free. I don't know either way on the others, though I suspect at least some are.

The rest of the story (with information that should help with other unlisted Hershey products): [This is "old news" to some of you, but thought it might be helpful to others (and wanted to show my source).]

1. Mauna Loa is a Hershey brand.
  2. In fact the Mauna Loa customer service number is the Hershey customer service number: 800-468-1714.
  3. As of today, none of the Mauna Loa products is on the Hershey gluten-free list (published elsewhere in these forums).
  4. As they say, not all of their gluten-free products are listed.
  5. The rep I spoke with told me that if an ingredient is sourced from a gluten-containing grain, according to Hershey policy, that grain will be listed with the ingredient.
  6. Also, if the production lines are subject to cross-contamination, the allergen will be listed--as tree nuts and peanuts are listed for this product.
  7. Since it is their policy to identify both gluten-containing grains and potential cross contamination and the ingredients for this product include neither, it's gluten-free.

Score.  :P  Of course, it's got other stuff I probably shouldn't be eating, but just one or two shouldn't kill me.  ;)