Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  




Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:




Ads by Google:






   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is This A Milk Allergy?
0

12 posts in this topic

horrible post nasal drip and my ears turn red! Allergy testing shows no allergies at all!! So if it is an allergy, is it low level? IgG? IgA? IgE?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:

It was a blood test. I just found my copy and it says tests performed utilizing ImmunoCap specific IgE allergen methodology.  All the ranges are 0.00-.34 and my results for all are <.35

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say an intolerance possibly.  A negative IgE test result is 90%+ accurate. IgA and IgG aren't allergies per say.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could definitely have an intolerance to dairy, either casein or lactose or both. I had terrible trouble with my inner ear and sinuses before cutting out dairy, which has helped tremendously. You can't test for intolerances other than just cutting it out and seeing if you feel better.

So, drop all dairy for a few weeks and see if your sinuses start clearing up. If not, it could be another intolerance (soy?) or another problem all together.

 

Good luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Thanks for the replies! so an intolerance would cause my ears to turn red? I always thought that'd be an allergic reaction. I"ll cut out dairy/milk and see if the post nasal drip gets better.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies! so an intolerance would cause my ears to turn red? I always thought that'd be an allergic reaction. I"ll cut out dairy/milk and see if the post nasal drip gets better.

It probably is also a mild allergy too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question:  since it's a mild allergy(my ears turned red after eating yogurt and having a drink that had milk in it yesterday..and today I tried milk and the top of my ear is red..looks like a sunburn)....is it possible for this mild allergy to turn into a severe allergy? Do  need to get an epi pen just in case?

 

also, did the reaction not show up on the blood test because it's a mild reaction?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can ask your doctor.  They are expensive and have to be replaced every year.  We have them around for bee stings since my brother almost died from the reaction.  I'm allergic to milk, nuts, latex and NSAIDS but don't carry an epi pen.  I just make sure I don't eat it (or touch in the case of latex).   It's different for children since they might eat it unknowingly.  My daughter's friend keeps one at school for that very reason. All my allergies are pretty mild except for the NSAIDS. 

 

Remember, the blood test isn't 100% accurate.  Stop drinking milk (and all milk products), enjoy breathing and save on tissues!  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question:  since it's a mild allergy(my ears turned red after eating yogurt and having a drink that had milk in it yesterday..and today I tried milk and the top of my ear is red..looks like a sunburn)....is it possible for this mild allergy to turn into a severe allergy? Do  need to get an epi pen just in case?

 

also, did the reaction not show up on the blood test because it's a mild reaction?

A mild reaction can turn into a bad one. Its like playing with fire.

 

I would suggest an epi pen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what it is.  I used to have nasal symptoms so bad that I kept Kleenex everwhere and I went through tons of it!  I also used to have problems with ears that felt hot to the touch and were visibly red.

 

I have IgG allergies, aka intolerances.  Eggs, dairy, fish, shellfish, chicken, lamb, rye, buckwheat and a whole slew of herbs and spices.

 

Given that you have nasal issues, I would suspsect dairy but really it could be anything.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I'm allergic to milk, nuts, latex and NSAIDS but don't carry an epi pen.  I just make sure I don't eat it (or touch in the case of latex).  

 

That is very dangerous. You are obviously an adult but there is ALWAYS a chance you can be walking into a situation when you don't have all the information about a product and not having epis could prove deadly.

 

 

OP, I would ask your Dr. but if you have negative blood work and your ears turning red is the *only* thing that happens, I'm not sure they would prescribe one for that alone.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
0