11 replies to this topic

#1 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

horrible post nasal drip and my ears turn red! Allergy testing shows no allergies at all!! So if it is an allergy, is it low level? IgG? IgA? IgE?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

What type of allergy testing did you have done?

#3 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

It was a blood test. I just found my copy and it says tests performed utilizing ImmunoCap specific IgE allergen methodology.  All the ranges are 0.00-.34 and my results for all are <.35

#4 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

I would say an intolerance possibly.  A negative IgE test result is 90%+ accurate. IgA and IgG aren't allergies per say.

#5 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

You could definitely have an intolerance to dairy, either casein or lactose or both. I had terrible trouble with my inner ear and sinuses before cutting out dairy, which has helped tremendously. You can't test for intolerances other than just cutting it out and seeing if you feel better.

So, drop all dairy for a few weeks and see if your sinuses start clearing up. If not, it could be another intolerance (soy?) or another problem all together.

Good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#6 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the replies! so an intolerance would cause my ears to turn red? I always thought that'd be an allergic reaction. I"ll cut out dairy/milk and see if the post nasal drip gets better.

#7 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies! so an intolerance would cause my ears to turn red? I always thought that'd be an allergic reaction. I"ll cut out dairy/milk and see if the post nasal drip gets better.

It probably is also a mild allergy too.

#8 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Another question:  since it's a mild allergy(my ears turned red after eating yogurt and having a drink that had milk in it yesterday..and today I tried milk and the top of my ear is red..looks like a sunburn)....is it possible for this mild allergy to turn into a severe allergy? Do  need to get an epi pen just in case?

also, did the reaction not show up on the blood test because it's a mild reaction?

#9 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

You can ask your doctor.  They are expensive and have to be replaced every year.  We have them around for bee stings since my brother almost died from the reaction.  I'm allergic to milk, nuts, latex and NSAIDS but don't carry an epi pen.  I just make sure I don't eat it (or touch in the case of latex).   It's different for children since they might eat it unknowingly.  My daughter's friend keeps one at school for that very reason. All my allergies are pretty mild except for the NSAIDS. 

Remember, the blood test isn't 100% accurate.  Stop drinking milk (and all milk products), enjoy breathing and save on tissues!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Another question:  since it's a mild allergy(my ears turned red after eating yogurt and having a drink that had milk in it yesterday..and today I tried milk and the top of my ear is red..looks like a sunburn)....is it possible for this mild allergy to turn into a severe allergy? Do  need to get an epi pen just in case?

also, did the reaction not show up on the blood test because it's a mild reaction?

A mild reaction can turn into a bad one. Its like playing with fire.

I would suggest an epi pen.

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

Not sure what it is.  I used to have nasal symptoms so bad that I kept Kleenex everwhere and I went through tons of it!  I also used to have problems with ears that felt hot to the touch and were visibly red.

I have IgG allergies, aka intolerances.  Eggs, dairy, fish, shellfish, chicken, lamb, rye, buckwheat and a whole slew of herbs and spices.

Given that you have nasal issues, I would suspsect dairy but really it could be anything.

#12 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm allergic to milk, nuts, latex and NSAIDS but don't carry an epi pen.  I just make sure I don't eat it (or touch in the case of latex).  

That is very dangerous. You are obviously an adult but there is ALWAYS a chance you can be walking into a situation when you don't have all the information about a product and not having epis could prove deadly.

OP, I would ask your Dr. but if you have negative blood work and your ears turning red is the *only* thing that happens, I'm not sure they would prescribe one for that alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: