arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Hello, I Was Wondering If Anyone Knew If "hellmann's Cheesy Jalapeno Dipping Sauce" Is Gluten Free?

hellmanns new

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 katfly90

katfly90

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hello! I have recently found out that I am gluten intolerant. I am not overly stoked obviously. I love my breads haha. I have been browsing the internet to see what I can and can not eat from my regular foods. Anyway, I was about to order gluten free pizza and Hellmann's Cheesy Jalapeno Dipping Sauce when I realized I could not find the ingredients to it any where, also, if I did I wouldn't have a clue what to look for :S this is all so new to me.

I know it is a pretty stupid question but I am curious and the gluten free forums seem like a pretty good place to go and ask.

Thank-You!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

Welcome to the board.

Hellmans is a Unilever company and they will not hide gluten ingredients so simply read the jar. The more important part of your query is that you are 'ordering a gluten-free pizza'. I really hope it was not from Domino's as their pizzas are likely to be heavily cross contaminated and not safe for us.

If you are newly diagnosed it is best to stick with whole foods for a bit. Be sure to read the Celiac 101 section to know what you need to do to keep yourself safe. The gluten-free lifestyle takes some getting used to but it is well worth the trouble.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

from the mighty interwebs:

SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, CORN SYRUP,NATURAL CHEDDAR CHEESE FLAVOUR, SALT, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, JALAPENO PUREE (JALAPENOS, WATER, CITRIC ACID), XANTHAN GUM, PHOSPHORIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, POLYSORBATE 60, DEHYDRATED GREEN BELL PEPPERS, FLAVOUR, YEAST EXTRACT, COLOUR, POTASSIUM SORBATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SORBIC ACID, VINEGAR, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA, SOY LECITHIN. CONTAINS: MILK, SOY  <there's your cheater words at the end, where unclear stuff has to be declared if the product contains it.  so, no gluten :)  although i would skip this if i was pretty new/trying to heal.  maybe try it again down the road a bit.  

here's the link it's from - googly is your friend  :)  

http://www.unileverf...00-x-44-ML.html

lolz !   *nobody* is overly stoked - you crack me up  :lol:  - but the more you research the easier it will be to keep healthy.  good luck!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

Farmer's market. Buy some jalepenos. Buy some bell peppers. Buy some vinegar. Buy some corn starch. Puree the peppers, add some vinegar. Thicken it with the corn starch. Those are the only ingredients you need, unless you like the taste of polysorbate 60, propylene glycol, disodium EDTA, and all of the other crap they put in it. :lol:

Honestly though, WHY do they put all of that garbage into the things people eat and still call it FOOD??!! :angry:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 katfly90

katfly90

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thank you guys!

Yeah I have been doing a lot of research in the past couple days since I found out, I just think my mind got too jumbled and I just just have the patience to look through all of google to find it aha.

No its wasn't Dominos, it was a local pizza store , my friend is celiac and told me it was the safest pizza place to eat!

Yeah farmers market is a better idea aha, I have thought about getting a few days free and making a lot of my own stuff for the next few months and freezing it so I don't have to overly worry about everything I eat!! Also because the random things they put in food scares me!

#6 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

honestly, once i got used to making my own stuff, i don't have the inclination to go back to store bought - alot of the additives they put in are to aid in shelf life - i make guacamole, for example, that keeps 2 weeks in the fridge and that's because it contains lime juice :)  and to make it stay pretty, i put a piece of plastic wrap inside the jar on top of the guac to reduce the amount of air it comes in contact with, although it's perfectly fine even if it turns a little darker green - and i really don't need it to keep for 2 months!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: