Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pure Spices

10 posts in this topic

The below link is to an article about a recent Canadian study on spices. 63 out of 268 pure spices tested positive for gluten. The range of detected gluten was 5 ppm - 20,000 ppm gluten, however the majority of spices with higher contamination were not domestically processed. And the one with the highest test result is considered to probably have had wheat illegally added.

All spices that tested positive were ground, and the positive tests were on: clove, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, mace, sage, thyme, and white pepper.

http://celiaccorner.com/celiac-gluten-free-blog/are-spices-gluten-free/#.Uifuyxa0BdY

Ads by Google:

Thanks for posting that Shauna.  I hadn't seen it before.  As Trisha mentions, we eat a lot less spice in a day than we do something like a gluten-free bread, so the less sensitive may not notice any problems.  We super sensitives could, and I have.  Interesting that coriander is such a problem, and good that I just harvested a bunch of that from my garden.  It was easy to grow.  Trisha Thompson is a good resource for the gluten-free community.  

Thankfully I buy pure spices whole and grind myself. Fresher, anyway! :-)

Oh no!  I just made curry with McCormick's coriander (one of the three spices that hit over 20 ppm).  Now I don't know what to do.

Have you reacted to it in the past?  How much did you use?  Small amounts are not supposed to bother the vast majority of celiacs.  I am not in that group and threw out my spices long ago.  If you are in that group, why worry?

My problem is I don't react....or at least most of the time I don't have any noticeable affects.  That means I have no way of knowing if it is doing damage or not.

My problem is I don't react....or at least most of the time I don't have any noticeable affects.  That means I have no way of knowing if it is doing damage or not.

I had absolutely no reactions when eating gluten when first diagnosed 3.5 years ago but have been accidentally glutened 2 or 3 times with massive reactions this past year. I empathize with you as it is very difficult not to react. Keep in mind this may change.

That's difficult.  I think that I would figure that I am in the majority that isn't bothered by these kinds of things.  Chances are that you are in majority.  The only way that super sensitives know that they are super sensitive is their reactions, so there would be no way for you to know if you are in that category anyway.

That's difficult.  I think that I would figure that I am in the majority that isn't bothered by these kinds of things.  Chances are that you are in majority.  The only way that super sensitives know that they are super sensitive is their reactions, so there would be no way for you to know if you are in that category anyway.

You are probably right.  I was diagnosed 5 years ago.  My first follow-up scope showed healing, and my guess is that if I was super sensitive, I wouldn't have found it so easy to be gluten-free.   Thanks.  Now I will dig into my eggplant curry :P