9 replies to this topic

#1 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

The below link is to an article about a recent Canadian study on spices. 63 out of 268 pure spices tested positive for gluten. The range of detected gluten was 5 ppm - 20,000 ppm gluten, however the majority of spices with higher contamination were not domestically processed. And the one with the highest test result is considered to probably have had wheat illegally added.

All spices that tested positive were ground, and the positive tests were on: clove, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, mace, sage, thyme, and white pepper.

http://celiaccorner....e/#.Uifuyxa0BdY

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for posting that Shauna.  I hadn't seen it before.  As Trisha mentions, we eat a lot less spice in a day than we do something like a gluten-free bread, so the less sensitive may not notice any problems.  We super sensitives could, and I have.  Interesting that coriander is such a problem, and good that I just harvested a bunch of that from my garden.  It was easy to grow.  Trisha Thompson is a good resource for the gluten-free community.  

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thankfully I buy pure spices whole and grind myself. Fresher, anyway! :-)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Oh no!  I just made curry with McCormick's coriander (one of the three spices that hit over 20 ppm).  Now I don't know what to do.

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Have you reacted to it in the past?  How much did you use?  Small amounts are not supposed to bother the vast majority of celiacs.  I am not in that group and threw out my spices long ago.  If you are in that group, why worry?

#6 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

My problem is I don't react....or at least most of the time I don't have any noticeable affects.  That means I have no way of knowing if it is doing damage or not.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

My problem is I don't react....or at least most of the time I don't have any noticeable affects.  That means I have no way of knowing if it is doing damage or not.

I had absolutely no reactions when eating gluten when first diagnosed 3.5 years ago but have been accidentally glutened 2 or 3 times with massive reactions this past year. I empathize with you as it is very difficult not to react. Keep in mind this may change.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:59 AM

That's difficult.  I think that I would figure that I am in the majority that isn't bothered by these kinds of things.  Chances are that you are in majority.  The only way that super sensitives know that they are super sensitive is their reactions, so there would be no way for you to know if you are in that category anyway.

#9 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

That's difficult.  I think that I would figure that I am in the majority that isn't bothered by these kinds of things.  Chances are that you are in majority.  The only way that super sensitives know that they are super sensitive is their reactions, so there would be no way for you to know if you are in that category anyway.

You are probably right.  I was diagnosed 5 years ago.  My first follow-up scope showed healing, and my guess is that if I was super sensitive, I wouldn't have found it so easy to be gluten-free.   Thanks.  Now I will dig into my eggplant curry :P

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

Enjoy! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: