1 reply to this topic

#1 Pickledveggies

Pickledveggies

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

So I have been gluten intolerant for about the past three years now but only strictly gluten-free for a year. The other day I was given Rudi's brand bread and was told it was gluten free. I assumed it must be because of the brand and the fact that it was frozen but never actually closely checked. I ate it for a few days worth of sandwiches and later found out it WASN'T gluten free. I was confused because I had no symptoms?? Since then I've drank beer and had bread successfully!! It's been a few months since I've been accidentally "glutened" because I'm extremely careful and suffered from severe, almost instant reaction of nausea so I'm not sure when exactly my reaction stopped.

Has anyone had this happen before? It's crazy to me that such intense symptoms can just disappear. Two months ago I received a specialized acupuncture treatment that targeted my allergy. According to the doctor, I would be fully cured after a single session. I thought he was full of it and never tested to see if it worked, maybe that's what did it?

It feels like a miracle to not have any sickness after remembering the long, horrible days spent in bed after such small amounts of gluten, like accidentally eating something with caramel coloring or when somebody used my toaster.
At least now my body can (at least temporarily) tolerate a gluten diet so I can finally get a successful celiac test.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Welcome to the board.

In some, symptoms tend to grow over time as the level of autoantibodies increases and the amount of damage and inflammation grows. Hopefully your gluten challenge won't be too difficult for you. The average gluten challenge tends to be about two months with about two slices of bread (or equivalent) per day.

Just as an aside, celiac disease and non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) are not allergies. Celiac is an autoimmune disorder, and I don't think they've quite figured out what NCGI is yet, but I would guess it's AI related too.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: