This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Create A Whole-Wheat/wheat-Bran Taste

Wheatfreeleeshy

Wheatfreeleeshy Rookie

Hiya! I'm creating a bran muffin recipe and the first batch turned out pretty darn good. I'd like to try to give them a little more of a dark whole wheat/wheat bran flavor...any suggestions please?

One bread recipe I found that said it had a whole-wheat taste had a little bit of cocoa powder in it. Does anyone know if that really gives more wheat-like flavor? I'd never have thought to do that and don't want to ruin a whole batch of muffins if it's not true!

Here's my recipe:

Berry Bran Muffins

350g whole grain flour mix (245g whole grains: 90g oat bran, 90g buckwheat, 40g sorghum, 25g almond meal + 105g starch: 50g potato, 40g tapioca, 15g cornstarch)

2 Tbsp flax seeds, finely ground

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

85g coconut palm sugar

1 tsp sea salt

2 extra large eggs

300 grams buttermilk

1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar 

100 grams butter, melted

1/2 tsp orange zest

2 Tbsp molasses

3/4 cup blueberries

3/4 cup dried cranberries, rehydrated

Thanks much!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatfreeleeshy Rookie

Anyone? Pretty please? ;-)

notme Experienced

Anyone? Pretty please? ;-)

leeshy - i wish i could but i can't do oats or oat bran right now otherwise looks like a delicious recipe :)  do you think it would make a big difference to sub something else and what would you suggest to stay true to your tasty goal?  

Wheatfreeleeshy Rookie

I would sub the oat bran with an equal amount (weight) of rice bran. Most of the gluten-free bran muffin recipes I've seen call for rice bran anyway! I'm actually making a batch right now! I'll post the updated recipe with instructions once I see how my new modifications come out. Fingers crossed! :-)

love2travel Mentor

Try more sorghum as it is known to best replicate wheat flour flavour. I use it a lot and am not sure I agree it is close but after baking with about 25 gluten-free flours it may be the best you can get. Cocoa is ok but does not add the wheat or bran element much at all. Quite simply there just is not a good substitute. :-(

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I read this to give the same sorghum advice.  I found it to taste the most like wheat too.

moniego Newbie

I did try this for you, but it didn't seem overly whole-wheaty to me.  On the other hand, I thought it was good, so you probably don't need to worry that the batch would be ruined if you try it :)

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatfreeleeshy Rookie

Thanks so much everyone!! My latest batch came out REALLY good. Great texture and flavor. I'll post the recipe soon! :-) :-)

Archived