Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Symptoms Of Being "glutened"

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

Since was diagnosed (3 weeks ago), I have diligently tried my best to stand true to the diet.  I have an upcoming appt. with a dietician.  It's been a struggle since I've been constantly traveling since diagnosis.  Actually, I got the call while on vacation.  

How do you know if you've been "glutened?"  Two out of three restaurants I dined at last week caused my stomach to get upset; not severely, but enough to "not feel well".  I was promised my menu items were gluten free.  Was I glutened, or was it something else?  I had bacon, eggs, and almond milk for lunch yesterday.  Within an hour, I felt worse than I have in quite awhile - tummy ache and diarrhea.  I checked every ingredient in the bacon.  Was I glutened again?  Could it have been the iron skillet I used?  I used a metal spatula.  So confused...

Ads by Google:

have you read the newbie 101 thread yet?

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

lots of helpful info on there - also advice on kitchen equipment (what needs to be replaced, etc)  - i'm assuming you were still on vacation when you were eating out at restaurants?  if you are back home again, i would steer clear of eating out for a minute or two until you get used to what to look for in a 'safe' place to eat.  alot of places say things are gluten free, but don't understand about cross contamination, so they truly believe what they're giving you is good to eat.  if you are celiac, most times they are not, because of shared kitchen equipment or whatnot.  even a little can keep you from healing and make you sick.  

good luck :)  welcome to the forum

Who knows? At a restaurant it is really hard to tell. And when you are newly dx'd you may be accidentally glutening your self. Or your body is just going thru withdrawals ... Just look look look at labels read read read and watch everything that goes in your mouth.

You might be getting glutened (especially from restaurants) or you might have intolerances that were masked by eating gluten (seems like you already found that you can't have milk).  If I ate eggs (intolerance), almond milk (allergic to nuts), I'd be toast!  Try keeping a food journal.  It may help you identify your intolerances.

Good luck!