Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Joint Pain

• Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

#16 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yea it was short lived! It came back. I dicided to stay away from Cheese. I havn't eaten anything eles in the way of cheeses milk dairy stuff. Mostly in my knees and elbows . pffttt! 

Hi,

If the joint pain is related to cheese, you may need to avoid all dairy.  Cheese is mostly dairy protein.  But milk and other dairy products often have the protein in them.  So just avoiding cheese wouldn't be enough to stop a reaction.  You might not notice a reaction with milk, but it could still be happening.

I had strong reactions to dairy at first when I was gluten-free.  They have changed over the years and are not so strong now.  You may find that after you have been gluten-free for 6 months to a year, that you are able to tolerate dairy better.  Or it might be a case where you need to avoid it forever.

There are lots of alternative dairy options these days to choose from though.   So it's not a big problem to go dairy free.

Kind of interesting learning new things about your body at times isn't it? :D

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Very interesting to find stuff about our bodies. Sometimes I am not happy about it!! But at least I know!! 

I am pretty good w/o dairy products. I will make sure I won't eat any! Pffttt ughhhhh 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#18 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well while you're trying to find out what is causing pain/inflamation to your joints. There's a couple of recipes I use when i have flare ups which maybe worth a try...they're yummy too!

http://www.rebootwit...en-pina-colada/

Or.. juice some apples, carrots, half a lemon and about an inch of fresh ginger (or frozen)

Or slice a piece of fresh ginger into hot water and enjoy :)
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Well while you're trying to find out what is causing pain/inflamation to your joints. There's a couple of recipes I use when i have flare ups which maybe worth a try...they're yummy too!

http://www.rebootwit...en-pina-colada/

Or.. juice some apples, carrots, half a lemon and about an inch of fresh ginger (or frozen)

Or slice a piece of fresh ginger into hot water and enjoy :)

OMG OMG OMG Thank you thank you thank you!!! I just bought me a super fancy blender!! You know the ones.. Mega price!! Yea that one!! I think I have had it 3 weeks and used it 1 time!! This is why I bought it!! I wanted to make healthy Smoothies!! Thank you so much!! I am giving you Kudos!! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#20 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

OMG OMG OMG Thank you thank you thank you!!! I just bought me a super fancy blender!! You know the ones.. Mega price!! Yea that one!! I think I have had it 3 weeks and used it 1 time!! This is why I bought it!! I wanted to make healthy Smoothies!! Thank you so much!! I am giving you Kudos!! :)

#21 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

Oooo you are welcome and thank you :) . I love my bullet type smoothie maker. I have a juicer but its abit of faffing cleaning it when in a rush. Enjoy ! :) :)

#22 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

Making a list! Checking it twice!! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#23 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Joint pain was never one of my symptoms before being diagnosed.  But now (2 years later) if I accidentally get glutened (cross contamination? I never intentionally eat it) it is the first symptom to show up.  All my joints ache for a couple of days.  Has happened twice, both after eating out of the house (wedding and vacation) but sticking to gluten free foods.

My celiac son started complaining about not feeling well as well as joint aches and we spent MONTHS trying to figure out where he was getting gluten.  We just assumed it was gluten.  He blood tests continued to come back clear so we started looking elsewhere. Turns out he had Lyme Disease from a bit almost 12 months earlier.  Luckily I had kept a photo of the weird, circular rash he had.  

Cara

#24 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Joint pain was never one of my symptoms before being diagnosed.  But now (2 years later) if I accidentally get glutened (cross contamination? I never intentionally eat it) it is the first symptom to show up.  All my joints ache for a couple of days.  Has happened twice, both after eating out of the house (wedding and vacation) but sticking to gluten free foods.

My celiac son started complaining about not feeling well as well as joint aches and we spent MONTHS trying to figure out where he was getting gluten.  We just assumed it was gluten.  He blood tests continued to come back clear so we started looking elsewhere. Turns out he had Lyme Disease from a bit almost 12 months earlier.  Luckily I had kept a photo of the weird, circular rash he had.  

Cara

TY Cara Yea I never Intentionally eat it either , but evey once in a while I see that it is in something I am soooo very used to using (second nature) then I say "ohhh I should check this" low and behold pffttt ... Like lets say last night :) I was making some pork chops and taters. Well ya know I Loveee that "Bakers Joy" it is a non stick spray..... OMG it works! But have you ever read the ingredients on that can? Well besides Gluten it has horrid stuff in there :( but yea so after 3 months ... I still am sneaking a lil bit of Gluten in .. Sad but True.  

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#25 CandyP0268

CandyP0268

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Are you sure you aren't getting glutened? Intolerances?  I hope you figure it out and feel better soon.

i am newly diognosed and i have bone and joint pain but like i said i am new and just trying to figure out what has gluten and what does not  maybe you got some cross contamination any tips you could give me does glutten called something else when looking at ingreadience

#26 CandyP0268

CandyP0268

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yea it was short lived! It came back. I dicided to stay away from Cheese. I havn't eaten anything eles in the way of cheeses milk dairy stuff. Mostly in my knees and elbows . pffttt! 

does cheese have glutten

#27 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

i am newly diognosed and i have bone and joint pain but like i said i am new and just trying to figure out what has gluten and what does not  maybe you got some cross contamination any tips you could give me does glutten called something else when looking at ingreadience

The word "gluten" will not appear in ingredient lists. The words to look for are "wheat," "rye," "barley," "oats," and "malt." That's the word "malt," not words beginning with the letters m-a-l-t.

does cheese have glutten

Cheese is gluten-free. But many people with celiac disease also have issues with dairy products. In particular, if your villi were damaged and have not yet healed, you are likely to be intolerant to lactose (milk sugar).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#28 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

The word "gluten" will not appear in ingredient lists. The words to look for are "wheat," "rye," "barley," "oats," and "malt." That's the word "malt," not words beginning with the letters m-a-l-t.

Cheese is gluten-free. But many people with celiac disease also have issues with dairy products. In particular, if your villi were damaged and have not yet healed, you are likely to be intolerant to lactose (milk sugar).

I found out the hard way about the cheese thing!! I was told that pre packaged cheese that is already shredded had Gluten in it. I have always been cheap and shred my own cheese. Once in a while I'd get the bagged. But never really found out if that shredded bagged cheese has Gluten or not. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#29 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

FYI...

http://celiacdisease...Gluten-Free.htm

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#30 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

TY gluten-free Lover :) very interesting!! That was a yes and no answer :) Sargento's it is :) If I buy any pre shredded cheese it will be Sargentos :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: