7 replies to this topic

#1 lexibrowning

lexibrowning

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

I attempted to cook some gluten-free noodles in the microwave today because I REALLY wanted some alfredo.  Well the noodles got all goopy and had white creamy stuff all over them and tasted pretty nasty.  I wasted like half the package :(

I got a microwavable container and added my noodles and water and them stuck them in the microwave for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.  What did I do wrong? Or do I just have to cook these noodles on a stove top?

I live in a dorm and we do have a stove, but all the pots are missing so I thought I'd try this.  Anybody have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

I attempted to cook some gluten-free noodles in the microwave today because I REALLY wanted some alfredo.  Well the noodles got all goopy and had white creamy stuff all over them and tasted pretty nasty.  I wasted like half the package :(

I got a microwavable container and added my noodles and water and them stuck them in the microwave for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.  What did I do wrong? Or do I just have to cook these noodles on a stove top?

I live in a dorm and we do have a stove, but all the pots are missing so I thought I'd try this.  Anybody have any ideas?

what type of gluten free noodles?

What size of container?

#3 lexibrowning

lexibrowning

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

what type of gluten free noodles?

What size of container?

They are the heartland gluten free noodles and the container is one of those deep tupperware containers

#4 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

I am not to sure what heartland noodles are.. Are they rice noodles? Potato noodles? There are a few more out there. I have found the Rice noodles are better than any other kind... just my opinion ... They 1st time I cooked gluten-free noodles it was disgusting also!! It was mushy , absorbed all the sauce making it more mushy .. Bleekkk!! Yukkk .. These Rice noodles are very good and they can be a bit over cooked , and still be good! Try Rice noodles. I have never cooked any noodles in the microwave. I cannot imagine ...

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

I am not to sure what heartland noodles are.. Are they rice noodles? Potato noodles? There are a few more out there. I have found the Rice noodles are better than any other kind... just my opinion ... They 1st time I cooked gluten-free noodles it was disgusting also!! It was mushy , absorbed all the sauce making it more mushy .. Bleekkk!! Yukkk .. These Rice noodles are very good and they can be a bit over cooked , and still be good! Try Rice noodles. I have never cooked any noodles in the microwave. I cannot imagine ...

I must respectfully disagree. I find the corn/quinoa noodles not only better, but they are far more forgiving than rice noodles. Plus you don't have to rinse them.

At any rate, the noodles, from what i looked up and i might be wrong, are a mix of corn and rice noodles. This is what i looked at http://www.amazon.co...artland noodles

Are you using enough water?

I haven't cooked gluten-free noodles in the microwave, but back when i used to cook gluten-y noodles in the microwave, i found if i didn't use enough water, then they never came out quite right.

#6 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

I've not tried gluten-free noodles but the gloopyness (looked like wallpaper paste yuk!) happened to me when I cooked gluten-free pasta in a pan until I found out I was supposed to put it in boiling water (not cold) and then simmer. I don't know if its the same with noodles.
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

I must respectfully disagree. I find the corn/quinoa noodles not only better, but they are far more forgiving than rice noodles. Plus you don't have to rinse them.

At any rate, the noodles, from what i looked up and i might be wrong, are a mix of corn and rice noodles. This is what i looked at http://www.amazon.co...artland noodles

Are you using enough water?

I haven't cooked gluten-free noodles in the microwave, but back when i used to cook gluten-y noodles in the microwave, i found if i didn't use enough water, then they never came out quite right.

I have never tried the corn/quinoa noodles, I have tried I think it was potato noodles. Those were gross. I have these Rice noodles and I made a pasta salad with them and no one even knew they were Gluten free, My daughter even said "Mom I cannot even believe you are eating that. Because she could not believe they were Gluten free. So I kinda stuck with that. I will have to try the  corn/quinoa noodles. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#8 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

I've not tried gluten-free noodles but the gloopyness (looked like wallpaper paste yuk!) happened to me when I cooked gluten-free pasta in a pan until I found out I was supposed to put it in boiling water (not cold) and then simmer. I don't know if its the same with noodles.

With the noodles I cook yes it is the same.

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: