This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mushrooms

designerstubble

designerstubble Enthusiast

Ok... Just read this...

Open Original Shared Link

Anyone know if this is for real??!! Really? Grown on rye and wheat? I haven't had many mushrooms as my diet has been so limited because of allergies.. But I was just about to re introduce this weekend! The idea of consuming ANY gluten puts me off completely, I'm gutted, I was so excited about eating some shrooms tonight!

Anyone else eat or not eat shrooms? Be interested in anyone's opinions. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I have no issues with them.

Adalaide Mentor

I eat shrooms whenever and however much I want. Never had an issue. I wash them well with a shroom brush and cut off the bottom of the stems, if I'm even using them, where they'd be touching whatever they're growing on. Different shrooms are grown in different ways and this has a lot more information about it. If we had to worry about gluten being in everything we ate that was grown in soil that glutenous grains had been tilled into we'd all be dying from ever eating any crop out of the midwest.

GFinDC Veteran

I eat mushrooms also, no problems from them either.  I get the whole mushrooms, not the pre-sliced ones.  That way it is simple to rinse them off and clean them.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have issues with them from the store.  I can eat them from a source that I know doesn't use grain derived materials.  I believe that am sensitive to very low levels of gluten and have problems with all sorts of things which I attribute to very low levels of gluten contamination.  I could be wrong about that.  I have talked to suppliers of mushroom spores to grow them myself, and all the sources I contacted said that they used gluten grain materials to grow the mushrooms.

notme Experienced

I eat mushrooms also, no problems from them either.  I get the whole mushrooms, not the pre-sliced ones.  That way it is simple to rinse them off and clean them.

me, too.  but i'm also fine with the sliced ones, i just have a harder time cleaning them.  truth be told, i probably have eaten the 'dirt' more than once and do not get a gluten reaction.  even if i can't see it, my body would know - antibodies fight things as small as germs so they wouldn't miss a chance to fight gluten if there was any.  so, i guess there wasn't :)

I have issues with them from the store. I can eat them from a source that I know doesn't use grain derived materials. I believe that am sensitive to very low levels of gluten and have problems with all sorts of things which I attribute to very low levels of gluten contamination. I could be wrong about that. I have talked to suppliers of mushroom spores to grow them myself, and all the sources I contacted said that they used gluten grain materials to grow the mushrooms.

thats interesting, thanks... Just wondered, what kind of issues do you experience with them? Does it feel like a glutening?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I eat shrooms whenever and however much I want. Never had an issue. I wash them well with a shroom brush and cut off the bottom of the stems, if I'm even using them, where they'd be touching whatever they're growing on. Different shrooms are grown in different ways and this has a lot more information about it. If we had to worry about gluten being in everything we ate that was grown in soil that glutenous grains had been tilled into we'd all be dying from ever eating any crop out of the midwest.

Great link thanks!! Very interesting... Will go into it properly as I only had time for a quick scan... Though must admit I didn't read anything mentioning gluten grains for growing in any of it... Might have missed it though! Thanks for your help. :)

Thanks everyone... I wonder just how many mushroom farms do use gluten grains? Anyway. I ate about 6-7 button cooked shrooms tonight on my salad... They were so tasty, cooked with garlic! Delish! Am waiting to see what happens to my gut. So far... So good. Keeping it crossed. I'd like to keep them in my diet. Must admit though I do worry about being contaminated without knowing (ie not displaying any symptoms) as my gi symptoms before diagnosis weren't that bad (not good, but not dreadful!)... Thanks again everyone...

psawyer Proficient

You need to remember that plants, or fungi, can be contaminated during harvesting, but the plant/mushroom itself does not absorb the gluten as a nutrient and then store it for you to find later.

I eat mushrooms almost every day, and have done so for years and years. If you want something to worry about, consider the gal who ate a sandwich for lunch, and then shopped later. Did she pick up a mushroom from the bin and decide not to select that one, putting it back? That is a credible, although truly minimal, risk. I clean my mushrooms with a dry mushroom brush. No problems so far. Thirteen years and counting.

You need to remember that plants, or fungi, can be contaminated during harvesting, but the plant/mushroom itself does not absorb the gluten as a nutrient and then store it for you to find later.

I eat mushrooms almost every day, and have done so for years and years. If you want something to worry about, consider the gal who ate a sandwich for lunch, and then shopped later. Did she pick up a mushroom from the bin and decide not to select that one, putting it back? That is a credible, although truly minimal, risk. I clean my mushrooms with a dry mushroom brush. No problems so far. Thirteen years and counting.

Thanks for that! Yes, I think you're right... And I'm glad, I love shrooms... Must admit they gave me lots of gas!! Not sure if that's normal but I'm willing to give it another go! Gonna buy myself a mushroom brush :)

thats interesting, thanks... Just wondered, what kind of issues do you experience with them? Does it feel like a glutening?

It does feel like a glutening, but let me repeat that I believe that I react to very small amounts of gluten.  These amounts are way below the just under 20 ppm allowed in gluten-free foods, to which the experts say that the vast majority of celiacs don't react.  The experts would say that there is no reason to worry if you can eat those without problems.

These have some information that includes a mention of grains: Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

I also eat mushrooms often and have never had a problem and  I often just wipe them well with a damp cloth. 

I have a veggie brush, too.

My chef friend peels the cap when she makes stuffed 'shrooms, but I see no need for that and we have spirited "amateur vs. pro chef disputes" -all in good fun. of course.. 

and of course, no one can tell whose shrooms are "better"--peeled or unpeeled. :D

(mine are)

My French Canadian Grandma had an expression for when any of us whined if something we thought maybe had a teensy speck

of dirt on it from the garden....she'd say "you have to eat a peck o'dirt before you die, baby. Don't worry about it.". :)

It does feel like a glutening, but let me repeat that I believe that I react to very small amounts of gluten. These amounts are way below the just under 20 ppm allowed in gluten-free foods, to which the experts say that the vast majority of celiacs don't react. The experts would say that there is no reason to worry if you can eat those without problems.

These have some information that includes a mention of grains: Open Original Shared Link

Great links again thank you :) bloody grains though eh? Can't get away from them! I must say I have no idea if I react to gluten free products as u don't eat them. I know I react badly to corn, so avoid that also. I generally only eat whole foods except for rice cakes and occasional potato chips. And red wine! That's it tho. Just a last question... Could it be the case that someone would be internally reacting to low levels of gluten but remain symptom free? I often wonder this...(!!) my paranoia :D

I also eat mushrooms often and have never had a problem and I often just wipe them well with a damp cloth.

I have a veggie brush, too.

My chef friend peels the cap when she makes stuffed 'shrooms, but I see no need for that and we have spirited "amateur vs. pro chef disputes" -all in good fun. of course..

and of course, no one can tell whose shrooms are "better"--peeled or unpeeled. :D

(mine are)

My French Canadian Grandma had an expression for when any of us whined if something we thought maybe had a teensy speck

of dirt on it from the garden....she'd say "you have to eat a peck o'dirt before you die, baby. Don't worry about it.". :)

Lol, I agree with your wise granny!! She's right! It's good to hear so many celiacs eating shrooms with no probs, it's unfortunate that they can't grow all of them on logs. I wish I has the time to grow my fruit & veg, I love fresh garden produce! Maybe one day when I live in Spain again hey?! ;) thanks for your response, blighty hugs!
kareng Grand Master

Great links again thank you :) bloody grains though eh? Can't get away from them! I must say I have no idea if I react to gluten free products as u don't eat them. I know I react badly to corn, so avoid that also. I generally only eat whole foods except for rice cakes and occasional potato chips. And red wine! That's it tho. Just a last question... Could it be the case that someone would be internally reacting to low levels of gluten but remain symptom free? I often wonder this...(!!) my paranoia :D

I consider wine a whole food.

Get your blood levels checked every year as is recommended. That should help you see if you are reacting to something on a regular basis.

IrishHeart Veteran

cheers.gif ditto 

I consider wine a whole food.

come dance with me Enthusiast

These are the one thing I've not tried growing, but we have no problem with the store bought ones.  All I could think of is that if they were the loose ones you put in the bag, do you think someone came along with bread or biscuit crumbs on their fingers and maybe touched some that you ate?  I know it sounds unlikely, but not impossible. 

I can appreciate that concern.  I am so symptomatic at such low levels that I have to be happy with symptom free.

One thing about symptom free: I don't about you, but when I got my diagnosis and went gluten free I had all sorts of symptoms resolve, not just the obvious ones that had led to the diagnosis.  I had no idea how many things were being caused by celiac disease.  I think that at least some of those "symptom free" people are not symptom free at all, they are just ignorant of their symptoms.  Now that you are educated about your own symptoms, you would likely be aware if some were to come back.  Does that reassure you a bit?

Celtic Queen Explorer

I have a reaction to mushrooms, but it's not a gluten reaction.  I'm finding the my system doesn't react well to certain foods, especially those with histamine, so I attribute it to that, not any sort of gluten.  The mushrooms give me a headache.

kareng Grand Master

My SIL is allergic to mushrooms.  Some chicken/veggie broths have mushrooms in them.  When she is coming over, I have to remember to check the broth I   use to  make food

IrishHeart Veteran

I have a reaction to mushrooms, but it's not a gluten reaction.  I'm finding the my system doesn't react well to certain foods, especially those with histamine, so I attribute it to that, not any sort of gluten.  The mushrooms give me a headache.

I have a histamine intolerance but for some reason, those do not bother me.

Too much red wine, hard cheese and tomatoes, though....oh boy. :(

Interesting stuff, thanks everyone for sharing...

Irish... what symptoms do you get with histamine intolerance??? Just wondering? Is it GI? ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

I get lots of them, inclduing GI stuff.

Here, read this

Celtic Queen Explorer

For me it's more sinus related - runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus headache.  Unfortunately the wine does it to me too :( So I've had to stop drinking that.  And my cider too.  I found out by keeping a food journal on my i-phone and going to the site that Irish linked above.

Archived