26 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Great links again thank you :) bloody grains though eh? Can't get away from them! I must say I have no idea if I react to gluten free products as u don't eat them. I know I react badly to corn, so avoid that also. I generally only eat whole foods except for rice cakes and occasional potato chips. And red wine! That's it tho. Just a last question... Could it be the case that someone would be internally reacting to low levels of gluten but remain symptom free? I often wonder this...(!!) my paranoia :D

I consider wine a whole food.

Get your blood levels checked every year as is recommended. That should help you see if you are reacting to something on a regular basis.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

cheers.gif ditto 

I consider wine a whole food.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

These are the one thing I've not tried growing, but we have no problem with the store bought ones.  All I could think of is that if they were the loose ones you put in the bag, do you think someone came along with bread or biscuit crumbs on their fingers and maybe touched some that you ate?  I know it sounds unlikely, but not impossible. 

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#19 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

Great links again thank you :) bloody grains though eh? Can't get away from them! I must say I have no idea if I react to gluten free products as u don't eat them. I know I react badly to corn, so avoid that also. I generally only eat whole foods except for rice cakes and occasional potato chips. And red wine! That's it tho. Just a last question... Could it be the case that someone would be internally reacting to low levels of gluten but remain symptom free? I often wonder this...(!!) my paranoia :D

I can appreciate that concern.  I am so symptomatic at such low levels that I have to be happy with symptom free.

One thing about symptom free: I don't about you, but when I got my diagnosis and went gluten free I had all sorts of symptoms resolve, not just the obvious ones that had led to the diagnosis.  I had no idea how many things were being caused by celiac disease.  I think that at least some of those "symptom free" people are not symptom free at all, they are just ignorant of their symptoms.  Now that you are educated about your own symptoms, you would likely be aware if some were to come back.  Does that reassure you a bit?

#20 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

I have a reaction to mushrooms, but it's not a gluten reaction.  I'm finding the my system doesn't react well to certain foods, especially those with histamine, so I attribute it to that, not any sort of gluten.  The mushrooms give me a headache.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#21 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

My SIL is allergic to mushrooms.  Some chicken/veggie broths have mushrooms in them.  When she is coming over, I have to remember to check the broth I   use to  make food

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I have a reaction to mushrooms, but it's not a gluten reaction.  I'm finding the my system doesn't react well to certain foods, especially those with histamine, so I attribute it to that, not any sort of gluten.  The mushrooms give me a headache.

I have a histamine intolerance but for some reason, those do not bother me.

Too much red wine, hard cheese and tomatoes, though....oh boy. :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#23 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Interesting stuff, thanks everyone for sharing...

Irish... what symptoms do you get with histamine intolerance??? Just wondering? Is it GI? ;)

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I get lots of them, inclduing GI stuff.

Here, read this

http://www.allergyuk...ine-intolerance

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

For me it's more sinus related - runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus headache.  Unfortunately the wine does it to me too :( So I've had to stop drinking that.  And my cider too.  I found out by keeping a food journal on my i-phone and going to the site that Irish linked above.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#26 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

I do not tolerate fungi.  This includes both yeast and mushrooms.  I know I would bloat up when mushrooms were in my LeAnn Chin, BUT I can't justify trying them since going gluten free.  I may have been reacting to gluten or other intolerances in the food also.  I am quite sure my body doesn't like fungi as I react with glands swelling when it is in the air.

D

#27 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

Sounds like it may be an allergy :(

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: