arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do You Think We Get Glutened On The Shared Equipment?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

I ate Trader Joe crackers and became very sick. I've had trouble the last few days. Do you avoid "all shared equipment"? Have you gotten sick as well eating something made on shared equipment and how long did it last?

This sucks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Everybody experiences different levels of reaction to food from shared lines.  Here's your hint that maybe in your case, you want to avoid foods that alert you to their being made on shared lines.  Many foods have no such warning, so you take your chances.  The more you eat non-processed foods (in essence, stuff in its original form that doesn't come in a box) the better your chance of avoiding cross-contamination and eating healthier.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#3 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Shared equipment and at restaurants are the main places... Like up above , try to stay away from boxed and bagged stuff. Try and eat as much whole food as possible. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#4 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

I don't anymore...really hate getting sick ! Maybe I'm just sensitive but it's so not worth it.

#5 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

I totally avoid anything that says it's made on shared equipment. I don't even care if they say they're a GMP facility. I got so sick eating muffins that had baking powder processed on shared lines...granted I was eating a lot of those muffins, but it showed me that if I want to be truly gluten-free, that isn't the way to go about it.

#6 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

I avoid anything on shared equipment or in the same facility unless I speak with the company. A few have told me that they take Celiac very seriously, explained how they keep foods separate, and what ppm their products test at. 

Some companies are very dishonest on their labels (hopefully the new FDA regulation will fix that). I heard of one instance a while ago where a supposed "gluten free" product made at a shared facility was testing over 100 ppm. Scary. 

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

I wont eat anything on shared equipment.  I will eat same-facility if it is a brand that tests and that I have confidence in.  When in doubt, think about the "D" you will have and remember it isn't worth it, lol.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Some companies are very dishonest on their labels (hopefully the new FDA regulation will fix that). I heard of one instance a while ago where a supposed "gluten free" product made at a shared facility was testing over 100 ppm. Scary. 

Holy smokes! what company was that??? :blink:

to answer the original question--some people have no problem with "shared facilities" because the companies do take great steps to

flush the lines. If they can explain the process to me (like someone at Ghirardelli did once)  then I am cool with eating their products.

That said, In general, if I see "made on shared equipment with wheat", I choose another product..

There are so many companies that do a good job, there is enough of a selection out there for us.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: