This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Haven't Been Intimate In Months, But Funny...

lorka150

lorka150 Collaborator

Gr......

Okay. I am rail thin from this celiac disease. I am 5'7.5'' and weigh about 104 lbs. Leaner than lean.

But I'm evidently pregnant, you see.

I drink 148932849328 gallons of water/herbal tea/sodium free club soda/sometimes a diet pop/a coffee or two daily.

Because I AM SO THIRSTY. Does anyone else have this? Just got tested for diabetes and it came back fine. In fact, I am right in the 'perfect' blood sugar range. I can't stop this thirst. It's almost to the point where it's taken over my life because of the constant and thirst, and thus, urination, and thus, no sleep because I am waking up every 1/2 hour.

Anyone?

Jeez... I've been gluten free for about 2 months.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

I drink non stop. I drink 4 litters of water, add diet soda, add fruit juice, add coffee, etc on any given day.

But Im fiarly sure IM not preg :lol::lol:

lorka150 Collaborator

do you have celiac?

VydorScope Proficient
do you have celiac?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wont know till my test in November.. but I think its liklky. My toddler son DOES and he drinnks tons and tons and tons to. More then most adutls, but I dunno if thats normal for a toddler or not.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I drink 148932849328 gallons of water/herbal tea/sodium free club soda/sometimes a diet pop/a coffee or two daily.

I drink about 5743434 gallons/day ;)

Actually, I don't really drink fluids a whole lot, but when I get thirsty, I can't stop and then I start drinking like crazy!

lorka150 Collaborator

I just can't stop. It's literally impeding on my life.

SUCKS!

I'm going through one of those "I feel sorry for myself that I have this stupid disease" phases.

aikiducky Apprentice

You know, I hadn't really thought about it, but when I get glutened I do drink more, and of course, I look pregnant, too. :rolleyes: Then usually one day a week or two or three later I go to the bathroom a lot and the bloating goes down... I guess it could be some kind of a protective reaction of the body to collect a lot of fluid...

I'm not bloated from my last glutening anymore today - now I just have these loose folds of skin on my tummy, blech. :angry:

Pauliina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aaascr Apprentice

"I'm not bloated from my last glutening anymore today - now I just have these loose folds of skin on my tummy, blech."

Me too! I work out 3-4 days at the gym, and play soccer 3-4 times a week.

the rest of me is toned up and perhaps a bit underweight - never had a stomach before - what gives???

aikiducky Apprentice

You know when you have a little cut on a finger that gets inflamed and red and a bit swollen? That's what I imagine my intestines to be like. And when the swelling goes does, all the skin that's been stretched out by it is going to hang loose. No amount of working out is going to help with that I'm afraid. :(

Pauliina

at least, that's my explanation... maybe I'm just fat, lol

Mo92109 Apprentice

OHMYGOSH, I have this too. I am pretty thin everywhere except for my belly, I totally look pregnant. I am not thristy "all" the time, though, at least that I have noticed. I have been gluten-free for over 6 months.... I think, I'm no good at it.

Anyway, my Dr. (who knows nothing about celiac disease) ordered two sonograms (in two weeks) to try and find out why so fat ONLY in my stomach. I used to think it was a beer gut, but it way wose since going gluten-free and giving up beer.

What could cause this?

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice
OHMYGOSH, I have this too. I am pretty thin everywhere except for my belly, I totally look pregnant. I am not thristy "all" the time, though, at least that I have noticed. I have been gluten-free for over 6 months.... I think, I'm no good at it.

Anyway, my Dr. (who knows nothing about celiac disease) ordered two sonograms (in two weeks) to try and find out why so fat ONLY in my stomach. I used to think it was a beer gut, but it way wose since going gluten-free and giving up beer.

What could cause this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You probably aren't totally gluten-free. Right before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I was skinny everywhere except my belly too. Make sure you're totally gluten-free.

Jackie

paw Apprentice

I look pregnant too. :( Last winter I wore my son's old blue jeans size 30 waist and they were loose. In July the "big bloat" kicked in and won't go away. Now my belly measures 37 inches on a big day 35 inches on other days. There is no way to find pants to fit such a swollen gut. I have considered maternity pants, but I have not found any that look normal. My weight is about 5 pounds more, but I had lost a lot and that little gain is ok for me.

About the thirst: I drink a lot of plain tea either hot or iced. I also drink Coke, not the diet kind. If I drink some things they actually make me more thirsty. If you have any artificial sweeteners in your drinks, try cutting that out and see if it helps.

I REALLY want some pants. :blink:

Mo92109 Apprentice

I hear you about pants!!! I wear a size 4-6... unless I need to zip up and button. Thankfully the "hot" styles are billowy and loose right now. I live for elastic waist, flowy skirts.

I THINK I am gluten-free, but now I'm not sure. :unsure:

anerissara Enthusiast

I feel your pain....my gut is like a balloon, sometimes I look pg and other times I look fine. It's driving me nuts! Some days by the end of the day I just want to take my pants off NOW because the waste is so tight. The next day, the same pants are loose on me! AAaaaaahhhh! It doesn't help that when I get any amount of gluten I end up retaining so much water you can hear me slosh as I walk by.

I have the loose skin problem, too...I was blaming that on the fact that I have 3 kids, it seems like the skin on my belly just gave up the fight after baby #3 but in retrospect baby #3 also coinsided with the celiac problems getting bad, so maybe it was a combination of both.

If anyone finds a magic cure for inflate-o-gut, let me know 'cause I'll be first in line!

paw Apprentice
I feel your pain....my gut is like a balloon, sometimes I look pg and other times I look fine.  It's driving me nuts!  Some days by the end of the day I just want to take my pants off NOW because the waste is so tight.  The next day, the same pants are loose on me!  AAaaaaahhhh!  . . .    If anyone finds a magic cure for inflate-o-gut, let me know 'cause I'll be first in line!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The balloon thing that went up and down was me before July. Sometime in July it "pouffed" and stayed that way. That was when the family doctor told me she thought it was more than a dairy problem that was making me so big in the belly.

I bought a pair of jeans that are size 16 1/2 for girls plus size. I am 5' 4" so even the length is ok. These have room for my big belly and they fit ok in the butt and legs -- how odd to say "My pants fit today". I hope to fix the belly thing and not buy more "fat pants".

jrom987 Apprentice
The balloon thing that went up and down was me before July.  Sometime in July it "pouffed" and stayed that way.  That was when the family doctor told me she thought it was more than a dairy problem that was making me so big in the belly.

I bought a pair of jeans that are size 16 1/2 for girls plus size.  I am 5' 4" so even the length is ok.  These have room for my big belly and they fit ok in the butt and legs -- how odd to say "My pants fit today".  I hope to fix the belly thing and not buy more "fat pants".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been gluten-free for two weeks now. I have the tummy bloating too but I am not skinny. Are most Celiacs thin? It seems that way from what I have read. My biopsy was bad and my blood work too. I am very short and I have the traditional "Italian mamma" body. I can relate to the pants problems and I am very thankful for elastic waists! My waist is several inches larger than my hips and finding comfortable pants is nearly impossible.

paw Apprentice
Are most Celiacs thin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am still new at this whole thing, but I have been reading posts here for weeks. Hopefully I soaked up a little information along the way. Many Celiacs are thin, but some are heavy. I read (I can't remember the source, sorry) that it depends on which part of the small intestine is most damaged what symptoms you will have. If the damage is at the beginning, you will have diarrhea and will not absorb your food nutrition. If the damage is at the other end of the small intestine, you will be absorbing more of your food, calories and less likely to have the loose stool.

This makes sense to me, but please ask your doctor if you have questions. Some doctors don't know all that much about this problem though and other members here who have been dealing with this longer might have more advice.

On pants, if you buy elastic waist, you might even need to remove the elastic that comes with them and replace it with longer elastic or drawstrings that you can adjust as you belly changes. I hate it when in 5 minutes I get 3 sizes larger! I know that is bloat and it will hopefully go away, but I don't like that. :o

paw Apprentice

jrom987: I forgot to say that you might need more time before your system calms down and your bloating stops. Each person responds at their own rate, depending on how long they were having problems and the amount of damage.

Also many people have problems with diary or other foods and they may need to remove those too. :blink:

Archived