#1 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hi guys,

I am trying to do low carb AND gluten-free at the same time. Over on the low carb forums they tell me "use grated parmesan cheese as your breading." The problem with this is that there is no crunch like there is when you use white flour as the breading.

I want to achieve that CRUNCH when you bite into that delicious chicken nugget. Currently I am using half parm cheese and half white flour in my chicken nuggets recipe but I want to free myself of the gluten.

What can I use instead of the white flour as my breading that will have that nice CRUNCH when fried? Will rice flour work? I'm going to be using parm cheese too in order to lower carb count.

Thanks guys!

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Crushed rice chex maybe or plain potato chips might work.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hon. do not go gluten free until you are done testing. I see in your sig line:

Next to test: celiac and thyroid.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think people use rice flour for frying. Maybe go to the main forum page and use the google function in the top right corner. Try " fried chicken" and " onion rings". If you use the " advanced search" you can choose to see the actual posts, I think that's easier. I know this has been talked about a lot. I try not to fry things so I don't remember.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 mendylou

mendylou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't do much coating for meats, but I like to coat fresh caught sunfish, crappie, & walleye.  I use the gluten free all purpose baking mixes.  I think they work great.  Should work for any meat as well. I have used it to make salisbury steak & meatballs.  I like Arrowhead Mills brand.

Hi guys,

I am trying to do low carb AND gluten-free at the same time. Over on the low carb forums they tell me "use grated parmesan cheese as your breading." The problem with this is that there is no crunch like there is when you use white flour as the breading.

I want to achieve that CRUNCH when you bite into that delicious chicken nugget. Currently I am using half parm cheese and half white flour in my chicken nuggets recipe but I want to free myself of the gluten.

What can I use instead of the white flour as my breading that will have that nice CRUNCH when fried? Will rice flour work? I'm going to be using parm cheese too in order to lower carb count.

Thanks guys!

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Flax seeds, rather than flax meal, might make a good crunchy coating.

I find that if I want crunch, I need to fry them in some oil - I try not to be excessive with it.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

Yesterday I cut up some pork , rolled it in seasoned all purpose Gluten free flour and browned it on the stove then popped it in the oven! It was really good!! I was just getting tored of the same ol, same ol. I am sure it will work for chicken also. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Might not be low carb bu kinninkinnick makes a wonderful gluten-free panko .. Also before panko I used brown rice flour sorghum flour , spices & a bit of high heat cooking oil...(avocado oil) .. Or many use rice krispie cereal, corn flakes, or chex

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Crushed up potato chips make a great coating for oven "fried" items.  Probably not so much when actually fried, though.  But I make oven "fried" baked breaded meats frequently, usually the breading I will use half parmesean and half breading (crushed up cereal,corn meal,rice flour,crushed chips) and I just brush the meat with egg to make it stick.  You could also probably get away with half parmesean, 1/4 almonds, and a flour and pulse it in the food processor until it is a good texture and bread it with that.  

I made gluten-free fried chicken fingers that were buttermilk marinated, dredged in seasoned gluten-free bisquick, and then dipped in buttermilk and double dredged.  It had an abundance of tasty crunchy breading, for me it was too much though.  And of course, not low carb, hehe.

If you are still eating gluten, panko is the bomb!  They make gluten-free versions but I just cannot pay that price >.>

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

Might not be low carb bu kinninkinnick makes a wonderful gluten-free panko .. Also before panko I used brown rice flour sorghum flour , spices & a bit of high heat cooking oil...(avocado oil) .. Or many use rice krispie cereal, corn flakes, or chex

I seen that the other day at the store , I almost got it!! Now I am kicking myself for not getting it!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#11 bayba792

bayba792

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

I have done low carb for a long time and I read that most low carbers use pork rinds crushed so I tried it and it wasn't bad you couldn't eventell as long as you season it.

#12 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have done low carb for a long time and I read that most low carbers use pork rinds crushed so I tried it and it wasn't bad you couldn't eventell as long as you season it.

Really??? Wow!! Sounds delish!! W8 till I tell my friend about this!! :) She will love it!! And she isn't low carb!! But LOVES pork rinds!!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: