Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

READ FIRST: Super Sensitive Celiacs Disclaimer   09/23/2015

This section of the forum is devoted to those who have responses to gluten beyond the experience of the majority of celiacs. It should not be construed as representative of the symptoms you are likely to encounter or precautions you need to take. Only those with extreme reactions need go to the lengths discussed here. Many people with newly diagnosed celiac disease have a condition known as leaky gut syndrome, which can lead to the development of sensitivity to other foods until the gut is healed - which may take as long as one to three years. At that time they are often able to reincorporate into their diet foods to which they have formerly been sensitive. Leaky gut syndrome leads many people to believe they are being exposed to gluten when they are in fact reacting to other foods.
    • admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Has Anyone Been Glutened Just By Walking Into A Bakery?

8 posts in this topic

I know it's theoretically possible, but I can't imagine that it's THAT common or easy to accomplish. But this morning, I went to a little bakery to pick up a gift for someone, and within five minutes of leaving I started to feel the beginnings of a glutening, mostly the weird tiredness and the droopy eyes. But really, that fast? Only being there for a few minutes? It seems weird. But I hadn't eaten anything else out of the ordinary and I felt great up until walking through those doors. While in the bakery, my hands brushed against a couple of pieces of bread on my tray, but I didn't touch my mouth and I washed my hands as soon as I could after leaving. 

Now I've spent all morning with my symptoms steadily increasing, with a gluten headache brewing, and extreme sleepiness, detachment, and tummy pains. It stinks. I was on day four of no glutenings and feeling great. Has this happened to anybody else?

No issues here.

The only thing i can think of is flour in the air.

I thought so, too, but I was shocked at the quickness of the reaction. Five minutes seemed way too fast for flour particles to travel into my nose or throat and into my tummy/intestines. Hm. Well, I definitely won't be going back into bakeries anymore! 

I think that it has happened to me too.  I think that I am sensitive to very low levels.  One thing I can think of is that you have tiny blood vessels in your nose and maybe something it can hit your system faster that way.  I agree that it seems strange and is not typical.  There may be an allergy component.  That could explain the speed of the reaction too.

I avoid bakeries.  Last time my family baked bread, I walked in, smelled it and left.  Whether it is a gluten reaction or something else, I cannot tell you.  Exposure will cause eye twitches, sty near my eye, fatigue, and swelling.  I stay as far away as possible of grocery bakeries.  Did you see Jebby's blog about food intolerances?  I am interested to see what she learns next.

D

No, I didn't see it, but I will check it out for sure! 

Re: the rapidity of the reaction - my reactions are very fast when it comes to gluten. I always react in less than 20 minutes, but usually less than 5 minutes.  I've been tested for allergies to wheat, rye and barley, just because it's such a fast reaction so I had wondered, but I don't have an allergy to any grain. It's all the gluten reaction.

So essentially, that rapid of a reaction is possible, is all I'm saying. :-)

Thank you. That makes me feel that I'm NOT crazy. Since being diagnosed, I am trying hard not to blame every single twinge and headache on gluten.  :) Ah, although most often it's the cause. Ha!