arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Been Glutened Just By Walking Into A Bakery?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BelleVie

BelleVie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

I know it's theoretically possible, but I can't imagine that it's THAT common or easy to accomplish. But this morning, I went to a little bakery to pick up a gift for someone, and within five minutes of leaving I started to feel the beginnings of a glutening, mostly the weird tiredness and the droopy eyes. But really, that fast? Only being there for a few minutes? It seems weird. But I hadn't eaten anything else out of the ordinary and I felt great up until walking through those doors. While in the bakery, my hands brushed against a couple of pieces of bread on my tray, but I didn't touch my mouth and I washed my hands as soon as I could after leaving. 

Now I've spent all morning with my symptoms steadily increasing, with a gluten headache brewing, and extreme sleepiness, detachment, and tummy pains. It stinks. I was on day four of no glutenings and feeling great. Has this happened to anybody else?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

No issues here.

The only thing i can think of is flour in the air.

#3 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

I thought so, too, but I was shocked at the quickness of the reaction. Five minutes seemed way too fast for flour particles to travel into my nose or throat and into my tummy/intestines. Hm. Well, I definitely won't be going back into bakeries anymore! 

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

I think that it has happened to me too.  I think that I am sensitive to very low levels.  One thing I can think of is that you have tiny blood vessels in your nose and maybe something it can hit your system faster that way.  I agree that it seems strange and is not typical.  There may be an allergy component.  That could explain the speed of the reaction too.

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

I avoid bakeries.  Last time my family baked bread, I walked in, smelled it and left.  Whether it is a gluten reaction or something else, I cannot tell you.  Exposure will cause eye twitches, sty near my eye, fatigue, and swelling.  I stay as far away as possible of grocery bakeries.  Did you see Jebby's blog about food intolerances?  I am interested to see what she learns next.

D

#6 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

No, I didn't see it, but I will check it out for sure! 

#7 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Re: the rapidity of the reaction - my reactions are very fast when it comes to gluten. I always react in less than 20 minutes, but usually less than 5 minutes.  I've been tested for allergies to wheat, rye and barley, just because it's such a fast reaction so I had wondered, but I don't have an allergy to any grain. It's all the gluten reaction.

So essentially, that rapid of a reaction is possible, is all I'm saying. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#8 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thank you. That makes me feel that I'm NOT crazy. Since being diagnosed, I am trying hard not to blame every single twinge and headache on gluten.  :) Ah, although most often it's the cause. Ha! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: